Which Theme Song Is Your Personal Favorite?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Which Theme Song Is Your Personal Favorite?

Post by BeaBumby » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:11 pm

This, much like my Goku (Gokuu?) voice post, spreads across all dubs, series, and countries. To specify a bit, I mean main theme, like Rock the Dragon or that weird GT rap.

(EDIT: wait I probably should've posted this in the music section. whoopsie.)
Last edited by BeaBumby on Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Which Theme Song Is Your Personal Favorite?

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:12 pm

It’s cliche to say Head Cha La but it is.

For the non-Japanese themes I’d give it to the English version of Mystical Adventure though.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:14 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:12 pm It’s cliche to say Head Cha La but it is.

For the non-Japanese themes I’d give it to the English version of Mystical Adventure though.
CHA LA. HEAD CHA LA.
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:26 pm

- That creepy Namek soundtrack that kicked in at the beginning of the arc, whenever they were showing Freeza's spaceship from the outside or when they had Freeza stare out his window and give some orders.
- Cell's soundtrack that was versioned by Kavinsky (Rampage)

-GT's opening but when it was reversioned for the episodes. The instrumental version.

For DBS:
- Black's theme song
- Jiren's theme song from E109
- UI theme song from E129.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:41 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:26 pm - That creepy Namek soundtrack that kicked in at the beginning of the arc, whenever they were showing Freeza's spaceship from the outside or when they had Freeza stare out his window and give some orders.

-GT's opening but when it was reversioned for the episodes. The instrumental version.

For DBS:
- Black's theme song
not to sound rude, but I meant series themes, not character themes or background music (maybe I'll make another post for those)
she/her yknow

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:46 pm

Makafushigi Adventure for me. Love the English version as well. This song instantly draws me into the fun of the Dragon Ball World.

I even have a soft spot for the English "Gotta Get Those Dragon Balls" theme for the BLT dub lol.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:51 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:46 pm Makafushigi Adventure for me. Love the English version as well. This song instantly draws me into the fun of the Dragon Ball World.

I even have a soft spot for the English "Gotta Get Those Dragon Balls" theme for the BLT dub lol.
Yeh I listened to the GT BW dub theme a little bit ago, as you may already know, I particularly enjoy the lyrics It's a desperate search.. All across the Universe! The singer sounds so passionate, man.
she/her yknow

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:54 pm

BeaBumby wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:51 pm
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:46 pm Makafushigi Adventure for me. Love the English version as well. This song instantly draws me into the fun of the Dragon Ball World.

Yeh I listened to the GT BW dub theme a little bit ago, as you may already know, I particularly enjoy the lyrics It's a desperate search.. All across the Universe! The singer sounds so passionate, man.
I actually meant this theme from the 1995 English dub of OG Dragon Ball https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqcdFywCRks, but the BW GT intro is very good as well! This theme is just so catchy and perfectly fits Dragon Ball as a "Saturday morning cartoon" for the West.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:56 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:54 pm
BeaBumby wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:51 pm

I actually meant this theme from the 1995 English dub of OG Dragon Ball https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqcdFywCRks, but the BW GT intro is very good as well! This theme is just so catchy and perfectly fits Dragon Ball as a "Saturday morning cartoon" for the West.
OHHH THAT ONE! My apologies, I saw the letter B and I assumed, heheh
she/her yknow

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:02 pm

BeaBumby wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:56 pm OHHH THAT ONE! My apologies, I saw the letter B and I assumed, heheh
No worries! I had actually originally thought about posting "1995 Dragon Ball theme" because the abbreviations can get confusing lol.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:29 pm

My order would be:

1. Cha-La Head Cha-La
2. Makafushigi Adventure
3. Dragon Soul
4-6. We Gotta Power, Limit × Break × Survivor, Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go
7. Chozetsu Dynamic
8. Fight It Out
9. Heroes Big Bang Mission Theme
10. Heroes Universe Mission Theme

Yes, I love those three themes equally. Shame we didn't get KZZG internationally.

Edit: threw in the Heroes anime themes. Did the one-off have its own theme? If it does, the fact I forgot probably tells you all you need to know about how I feel about it, haha.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:36 pm

Makafushigi Adventure for Japanese.

For English, probably the theme from the original Funi DBZ Season 4 onwards. I like how there are no lyrics, but it still manages to say so much.

The BLT dub opening reminds me of the opening for the solo Spider-Man cartoon from the 80s.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:37 am

For the fun of it, I decided to rank the opening themes according to my preference. :)

Japanese/Engrish
1. Makafushigi Adventure (the most adventurous, fun theme)
2. Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku (the most beautiful, heartwarming theme)
3. We Gotta Power (just a really fun theme; feels like a celebration of the series)
4. Cha-La Head Cha-La (classic)
5. Limit Break X Survivor (really captures the frenetic energy of the fights. Instantly loved this one upon first hearing it)
6. Kuu Zen Zetsu Go ( I actually think Fight It Out sounds more like a classic Z opening, but KZZG matches Kai being a "refreshed" version)
7. Fight It Out (I like this one a lot tbh, especially the music itself)
8. Dragon Soul (good, but never left the same impression on me as for some others. I prefer the instrumental variations to the actual song, like the NEP theme)
9. Chozetsu Dynamic (good, but never really got me amped to watch the show the way the others did)

English
1. Mystical Adventure (love it just as much as the original)
2. Dragon Ball 1995 BLT dub opening (catchy as hell)
3. DBZ Season 4 Instrumental opening (technically my most nostalgic)
4. Rock the Dragon
5. Dragon Ball GT Blue Water opening
6. Dragon Ball Harmony Gold Opening
7. Step Into the Grand Tour (the only one I'd actually call outright "bad," although it's a guilty pleasure)

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:13 am

All right...I've fallen in love with the Brazilian version of Fight It Out. I'd probably put that above KZZG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaJWj4zZklM.

Also, my comment on the Kai NEP being a variation of Dragon Soul was incorrect; it's of Yeah Yeah Break Care! I meant the Recap theme and the orchestral version of the Dragon Soul, in that I prefer those tracks to the actual song being sung.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:05 am

Typically, Cha La Head Cha La and We Gotta Power are my favorites. Makafushigi Adventure is a banger, as well.

My least favorite might be Chouzetsu Dynamic. It doesn’t do anything for me.
Koitsukai wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:26 pm - That creepy Namek soundtrack that kicked in at the beginning of the arc, whenever they were showing Freeza's spaceship from the outside or when they had Freeza stare out his window and give some orders.
You mean Dr. Willow’s theme motif?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:22 am

BeaBumby wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:41 pm

For DBS:
- Black's theme song
not to sound rude, but I meant series themes, not character themes or background music (maybe I'll make another post for those)
Don't worry, not rude at all, I guess I saw this thread not too long ago and just assumed it was a differente take on the musical side.

Hands down, Dan dan kokoro hikareteku, then.
Runner up: We gotta power.

PurestEvil wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:05 am
You mean Dr. Willow’s theme motif?
I dunno, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same beat, yeah.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:14 pm

OmegaRockman wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:29 pm My order would be:

1. Cha-La Head Cha-La
2. Makafushigi Adventure
3. Dragon Soul
7. Chozetsu Dynamic
8. Fight It Out
9. Heroes Big Bang Mission Theme
10. Heroes Universe Mission Theme

Yes, I love those three themes equally. Shame we didn't get KZZG internationally.

Edit: threw in the Heroes anime themes. Did the one-off have its own theme? If it does, the fact I forgot probably tells you all you need to know about how I feel about it, haha.
How the hell did I forget Dan Dan? Updating the list again:

1. Cha-La Head Cha-La
2. Makafushigi Adventure
3. Dragon Soul
7. Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku
8. Chozetsu Dynamic
9. Fight It Out
10. Heroes Big Bang Mission Theme
11. Heroes Universe Mission Theme
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube