Favorite English Dragon Ball Theme Song

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Favorite English Dragon Ball Theme Song

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:39 am

What's your favorite English Dragon Ball theme song? It can be an opening or ending, either an original English song or the English-adapted version of the Japanese song.

Mine across the board is "I'll Give You Romance" by Daphne Gere https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPf-ZTY-9cw... who I very recently learned was the English voice of Marron during the Garlic Jr. saga. Even as a kid listening to it, back when I had an aversion to anything romantic, there was something magical about this song. Obviously, the same can be said for Ushio Hashimoto's original version, but Gere's manages to provoke the same sense of wonder. Her singing, to the lyrics, to the music. I wish it was accompanied by all of 4 the OG Dragon Ball ED credits.

Side Note: I literally just learned that Stephanie Nadolny (voice of Kid Goku) was originally supposed to sing this song. She sings it in this video posted a few years ago at Animinneapolis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqGVVfRi1Mw. Gives off more of a boisterous, bombastic vibe, which could have still worked for the adventurous aspect of the series; however I think Daphne Gere's voice was better suited to the more tender emotions the song is meant to evoke, which I'm assuming is what prompted the change. I still wish I could hear a studio-recorded version of Nadolny's, though.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Favorite English Dragon Ball Theme Song

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:33 am

As a kid it was Rock the Dragon. I still like the guitar part, but as a whole it hasn't aged well. Today I'd say it would have to be either the Blue Water intro for GT or Dragon Soul. As Dragon Ball is a generally upbeat show I like the catchy lighthearted intros.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:16 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:33 am As a kid it was Rock the Dragon. I still like the guitar part, but as a whole it hasn't aged well. Today I'd say it would have to be either the Blue Water intro for GT or Dragon Soul. As Dragon Ball is a generally upbeat show I like the catchy lighthearted intros.
Rock the Dragon was my favorite as a kid, too. Now, I've gone to slightly preferring the Season 4 Funi opening to it. I really like the GT BW intro as well, and Dragon Soul is good. I'm with you in really enjoying the lightheard themes. My runner up here is Mystical Adventure.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:46 pm

FUNimation's versions of GT's opening (Broly singing that is kinda hilarious) and Don't You See ending - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8HpFM3fYyY
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:38 pm

For me, it has to be the english cover of Makafushigi Adventure. Much like the dub it was attached to, it's admittedly not the most accurate translation of the Japanese lyrics, but I think it captures the spirit of the original quite well.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:23 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:38 pm For me, it has to be the english cover of Makafushigi Adventure. Much like the dub it was attached to, it's admittedly not the most accurate translation of the Japanese lyrics, but I think it captures the spirit of the original quite well.
While it's not a perfectly accurate translation, I feel it manages to evoke the same message/feeling of Makafushigi Adventure, just with catchy lyrics.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:28 pm

Mystical Adventure and I’ll Give you Romance both managed to evoke the feeling of the Japanese songs. Direct translations tend to sound awkward (See Super’s first English theme) so its for the best the lyrics are rewritten to only retain the vibe and not fidelity.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:43 pm

I really like Blue Velvet--very happy that Funimation scrapped that boring, dreary closing theme they had for GT when they released the green bricks. Overall, that GT soundtrack was awful and while the main beat itself was pretty catchy, it felt dull and boring. So, Blue Velvet was great.

I also like Limit-Break X Survivor and Bought Back.