Reasoning for Norihito Sumitomo’s absence in DBS-Super Hero???

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Reasoning for Norihito Sumitomo’s absence in DBS-Super Hero???

Post by Majin Man 101 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:25 am

Unless anyone has information on this, we can only speculate as to why Norihito Sumitomo was absent for Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero. I could be wrong on this, but it seemed to me that fan approval for Sumitomo’s score was steadily increasing as time went on. Is it possible that his involvement with the series is finished?

Naoki Sato’s score for Super Hero has been well received and now I can’t help but wonder who the composer for the series will be going forward. Will it be Sumitomo or Sato? Both?? Or someone entirely different?

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Reasoning for Norihito Sumitomo’s absence in DBS-Super Hero???

Post by Rafa Fast » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:51 am

I really would like to bring a official info with me, but as you said, we can only speculate.
But I do have some interesting things to say.

Firstly, I highly doubt that Sumitomo wil ever return, to this day, not even a single composer returned for the franchise, they at very least only used the Kikuchi tracks for the 2007 Nippon Ijin Taisho special, the 2008 OVA, and the Kai 1.0 rescore.

And I believe that has probably something to do with a 8/9 years period limit for the composer working for the franchise, let's go.
Kikuchi worked for the franchise from 1986 to 1995 (yeah I know Z ended in 1996, but he didn't compose anything new in 96), 9 years.
Tokunaga, if GT lasted for more 7 years, probably would've remained.
Yamamoto only worked for a series for 2 years and a half, then all that scandal happened.
And Sumitomo was in the franchise since 2013, the last time his work was used was in that special animation from the 2019 Toei Animation 60th anniversary festival.

And it's pretty much clear that Sato started to work on the score of Super Hero when this year started, so they probably still had Sumitomo until some moment in 2021.
You can clearly see a pattern, in case of Tokunaga the series just ended too early, and Yamamoto they needed to interrupt.
Well this is just what I think.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Reasoning for Norihito Sumitomo’s absence in DBS-Super Hero???

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:23 pm

It could be because TOEI felt Naoki Sato’s score would suit Super Hero better because it was more Marvel-esque.

The time period any one composer can work on the franchise is an interesting idea. I still wouldn't be surprised if Sumitomo returns but if not Rafa Fast may be on to something.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: