Will there ever be an official Dragon Ball GT Soundtrack Release?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Man 101 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:38 am

One of the greatest things about the Dragon Ball Franchise is how we have been graced with some incredible music, some of the best in all of anime if I do say so myself. However, we are missing an essential piece of the puzzle. Why is the Akihito Tokunaga soundtrack for GT still unreleased to this day!?

Also as a bonus for dub fans, is there seriously not a Mark Menza soundtrack CD available anywhere, because I cannot find any evidence of one.

Yes we have all heard it before GT was a dud, but this is absolutley maddening and they deserve a release. So the question stands?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Will there ever be an official Dragon Ball GT Soundtrack Release?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:18 am

A CD collection of the Tokunaga score doesn't seem likely, but never say never.

I'm pretty sure there will never be a release of the dub soundtrack though. The Menza score isn't very well liked in the same way the Faulconer Productions score is.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:06 pm

I hope so. Dragon Ball GT has the best soundtrack in the entire franchise.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:46 am

That would be fantastic but seem like out of nowhere all these years later.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:11 am

Can't say anything good unfortunately, but as a reminder, some of the tracks used in GT came out from the 10th Animation Anniversary Movie, the soundtrack for "Path to Power" which was also composed by Tokunaga, got somehow fully released, so if you count it, at least some of the GT "tracks" were released, now the tracks made exclusively for the TV series, they are the problem, maybe the poor ratings regarding GT are the reason? DB, Z and Super were well received, so makes sense that their soundtracks got released (not sure about Kai though, but its soundtrack was there as well) It's also good to remember that the soundtracks never are released simultaneously with the show's premiere, it always takes several months after the show's premiere.
I must say, I admire the optimism of who thinks that there's a chance of the soundtracks being released someday, for me there's no possibility, I do think it makes sense for Kikuchi's Z (TV & Movies) soundtracks being released years after the end of the series (most recent official release was in 2006), it's probably due to the series' growth in international popularity at the time (still, it was released in Japan only lol), GT didn't receive the same light (even though it also got international popularity), damn, even the games at the times barely had any GT related content (get rid of the Tenkaichi series and what you have?) And the game that was dedicated to it sucked.
So at least for me, the supposed answer to you question is a No because of GT being infamous and nobody giving a care about it.
Sorry for no relevant info.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:03 pm

Trouser wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:06 pm I hope so. Dragon Ball GT has the best soundtrack in the entire franchise.
Controversial opinion but I agree. I love the various Dan dan arrangements, the fighting music sound exciting and the Shadow Dragons' theme is just awesome.

The Z soundtrack feels less exciting, slower.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:49 am

This is a late response by almost 9 months, but given that this question was still being asked almost 30 years after GT's production, it wouldn't be surprising if it comes up again later on down the line.
So I'm just going to repeat this here: No, it won't ever get one at all.
Why?
-The guy who made it, in addition to being a rookie at the time, hasn't even been a BGM composer at all since 1996.*
-The record label responsible for it (which, BTW, was just as rookie as the aforementioned composer) hasn't had anything to do with either the DB franchise or Toei since the same time.
-There is clearly no interest among any of the involved parties to do any such thing.
-None of the material they participated in has ever made a comeback warranting their involvement.
-It was really just a fickle trend in the 90's (as someone years back so accurately put it), like many other things about GT if we're being honest.

*Incidentally, this is also the reason he was never on the table for returning to any DB material made afterwards, any cursory look at his career, discography, and bio since then will render this evident.

(If none of these points are enough, I can expand on them if requested.)

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:30 pm

Thankfully fans have been able to extract decent sounding copies.