Episode #0178 (07 June 2009)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0178 (07 June 2009)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:27 am

Episode #0178 (download MP3) (rss feed)
63:51; 64 kbps, mono; 29.2 MB

Episode #0178! VegettoEX, Meri, Julian, and Jeff dig into Volume 27 in our "Manga Review of Awesomeness". The Freeza arc is still going, but is it still going strong? A huge transformation has finally taken place, but was it what the doctor ordered? A remix of Tapion's theme, great news for American DBZ video game fans, June's releases, your e-mails, the end of one contest, and the beginning of another contest round out the episode. Referenced sites:
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the silly *one-hundred-seventy-eight* episodes, now.

Two shots I grabbed from Julian's web cam while recording, both referenced in-show:

Image Image

I'm so tired... again... :cry:

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:56 am

Well, congrats Tekkaman James. Looks like I'll have to actually pay for these...

Well, here's my name-pun entry for all of your entertainment:
SSj_Rambo wrote:I decided to name her "Shaniqua". Yes, "Shaniqua". Here's how:

- しおにくあ
- shi - oni - ku-a (Shaniqua)
- Evil Demon Poem (roughly)

-おに-くあ
し: Poem
おに: Oni (devil/demon)
くあ: "ku-a" First two letters of 'akuma' reversed

So basically I gave her a name that I was able to come up with after looking at a list of Japanese words that fit the pun, and randomly mixing the sounds together. I guess this (it it were true), could be seen as another "OMG racist pun!!" example in Dragonball... but I did it all in good humor. I know it probably breaks some Japanese grammar rules, and it doesn't sound exactly like "Shaniqua" when you say it, but I'm pretty proud of myself! ^^

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:09 am

I'm worried about Namco Bandai bringing Dragon Ball games to America. With the newest One Piece game on Wii they didn't include Japanese voices, only FUNimation's English ones. If One Piece didn't have enough demand for Japanese voices as an option, how likely is it Dragon Ball games will get them?
­

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:24 am

Well... Dragon Ball games already have them. :? Why would they stop that?

Dammit, I must have been the first one to sent in "Lucy" for the contest though... :lol: Since I was on the chat when Mike posted the contest page first...

My second choice for Mark's wife's name was....

Helen. But I figured "No one's gonna say Lucy..."

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:20 am

You said that Jeff got a 5 out of 5 on his predictions, but I distinctly remember him predicting that Goku was going to kill Freeza, while in this volume Goku is content to just let Freeza off with wounded pride.

Something you guys didn't mention was that Kaio refers to himself as the "Kaio of the Northern Galaxy" in this volume (I believe in Viz they have that as simply "god of the north"), which marks the first time the idea of there being multiple Kaio for the different cardinal points is introduced.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:58 am

Second episode with Julian and no DBZABCs?!
------------
Damn it, I lost

My suggestion was "Djinny". A pun on "Djinn", the Arabic word for demons.

As for Lucy... she is a demon that you don't want to mess with her...

--------------
I have a theory of how Saichourou came back to life and I want your opinions and thoughts...

If you remember, Piccolo Daimaoh suffered severe pain in his head every time one of his offsprings got killed.

My theory is that Saichourou died because he couldn't stand the pain from Freeza's men killing his children. He was old and it's natural that he got no stamina to get over the constant pain with everyone dies on him. And in the end, he died not from age, he died from the unbearable headache.

thoughts?
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:03 am

My name pun was 'Ruby', based of 'Debiru'.

EDIT: Damn, close to Debbie!
Last edited by jda95 on Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:50 am

Never thought of that, SHINOBI-03. Seems like a plausible theory to me. :)

Considering Volume 27, I'm surprised no one's mentioned DBZ Abridged, y'know, what with Mr.Popo getting the chance to make a wish... [insert creepy laugh]

Great episode. I hope Jeff sticks around for at least the Cell arc. Skip Buu for all I care, but I'd love to hear the 'n00b's perspective' on everything up to Volume 35.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:05 am

The Time Traveller wrote:Dammit, I must have been the first one to sent in "Lucy" for the contest though... :lol: Since I was on the chat when Mike posted the contest page first...

Great minds think alike!

plusloud

Post by plusloud » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:30 am

I've had this Tapion mix on my computer for YEARS without proper ID3 tags. This has been fixed. Thank you, Daizenshuu EX.

My contest submission was a Japanese woman named "Ha." Whenever she introduces herself, she would say "Ha desu." Ha desu. Hades. ... yeah.
Last edited by plusloud on Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Umm... just call me Remy, already. :p

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:35 am

The Time Traveller wrote:Well... Dragon Ball games already have them. :? Why would they stop that?

Dammit, I must have been the first one to sent in "Lucy" for the contest though... :lol: Since I was on the chat when Mike posted the contest page first...

Well, I send in Lucy too @__@ Though I spelled it like this: Luci XD

Bardock No Sensei

Re: Episode #0178 (07 June 2009)

Post by Bardock No Sensei » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:40 pm

VegettoEX wrote:< entire post snipped by administrator >
The one with the bike is blurry, I wish I was in japan!
"That's right, you may have anticipated my attacks so far, but you have no idea what I am capable of now... and what you don't know... could hurt you."
— Goku
Check out my under construction website! http://galaxyofsaiyans.weebly.com/

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:11 pm

Nice, I've always wanted Tapion's theme in one form or another, so thanks for that!

Ah, the Freeza saga... meh, it was alright, I guess. I do agree that the quick thinking on Kaio's part with all the wishes was pretty slick. Also gotta agree with Jeff that Popo is in serious need of some filler episodes :P. Then again, I always assumed that he had gathered them beforehand suspecting that the trip to Namek wouldn't be as easy as everyone else thought.

Yay for audio e-mail! I never even considered that whole thing with Vegeta, but I guess that would make sense. Heh, you could also just take the Toriyama perspective and say that he was anticipating things to end with Freeza, which I guess somewhat connects to Julian and Mike's explanations.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:20 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:Then again, I always assumed that he had gathered them beforehand suspecting that the trip to Namek wouldn't be as easy as everyone else thought.
How would he have found them though, since they would just be ordinary rocks as long as Kami was dead?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:14 pm

Herms wrote:
DaemonCorps wrote:Then again, I always assumed that he had gathered them beforehand suspecting that the trip to Namek wouldn't be as easy as everyone else thought.
How would he have found them though, since they would just be ordinary rocks as long as Kami was dead?
He's Mr. Popo. He would have found a way :wink:.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:56 pm

Corey in his contest entry wrote:Mr. Satan's wife name: "Ashanti."

Explanation: It's an anagram of "Shaitan," which is the Islamic version of Satan. They say man and wife are one flesh, after all ;p
I came up with it on a whim, since I wanted those books. Ah well ;p

-Corey

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:18 pm

Well, I sent my e-mail entry pun to my Japanese neighbor, hoping to get a laugh, and got this message back:
NERD. haha.

FYI:
しゃにーくあ <-hiragana

シャニークア <-katakana
Wow, epically owned. :( The funny thing is, she has never seen TeamFourStar's DBZA, and yet she nailed the the "NERD" line on me perfectly...

@MajinVejitaXV: I'd say our suggestions go pretty well together!!

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:38 pm

So yeah, my submission.
Cusubus, written out as キューサバス (kyuusabasu), a pun on "succubus" (サキュバス, sakyubasu).
So, will there be a list of all the submissions eventually?

Regarding the manga, not only do I feel that the Freeza battle isn't really that badly paced in the anime, but I'm probably the only person in the universe thinking the SSJ transformation scene is better in the manga. The way it's shown there, it looks like the transformation takes less than a second, doing a much better job of bringing across the point that it's a change that happened to Goku as he suddenly snaps, not something he had to will out through a minute of screaming and flexing muscles.

Goku's newfound sternness when in SSJ form is definitely present in the Danish translation, with these lines in particular: "Get lost while I'm still able to think!" and "No more talking! Do as your father tells you!" to Gohan, then "This end here, you fucking psycho!" to Freeza when grabbing his wrist.

Also noteworthy is Freeza's line right before killing Kuririn. "First of all I'll finish you off, you cocktail sausage!" (can't find an English word for these - they're small sausages, about 5 centimeters long). The Danish translation has some great banter and name-calling thrown in.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Tekkaman-James
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tekkaman-James » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:36 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:Well, congrats Tekkaman James. Looks like I'll have to actually pay for these...
Thank you very much, SSj_Rambo! In consolation, at least these guides are not as pricey as some of the others. Sorry! :oops:

And a gigantic THANK YOU to the DaizEX crew for the win and the generous gift. I am super-excited (pun totally intended) that I won this. I was shocked when I saw my name in bold on the homepage. I kinda scared my wife when I started hooting and laughing as I read that. :lol:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:06 am

I had to do multiple takes before I was happy with my audio e-mail (*hasn't done one in a while and was nervous* XD ).

My name pun for Mark's wife was Ino--which is just "oni" spelled backwards. I looked it up to make sure it was an actual name though before deciding on it.

More Mr. Popo filler could be interesting. XD
I look forward to see what TFS does with that bit in the anime; as after that Mr. Popo doesn't really appear all that much.

I do prefer Goku's ssj transformation in the anime; there's a level of eeriness there that I really like.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!