Episode #0183 (12 July 2009)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0183 (12 July 2009)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:15 pm

Episode #0183 (download MP3) (rss feed)
64:50; 64 kbps, mono; 29.6 MB

Episode #0183! VegettoEX, Meri, and Julian interview Lanipator and Takahata101 from TeamFourStar, the voices of Vegeta and Nappa in the "DBZ Abridged" fan parody series. What do they have in store for us in the next season, and what has the reaction been to the first season, both online and offline? A mini-discussion about the pronunciation of Goku's last name, July's release, your fantastic e-mails, and our "Yeah! Break! Care! Break!" CD single giveaway contest round out the episode. Referenced sites:
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the interesting *one-hundred-eighty-three* episodes, now.

See you all in two weeks... of better yet, hopefully down at Otakon!

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:28 pm

Havent listened to the podcast yet but yay for me getting the little mention on the Scan. That made my day...yep I'm ammused by the simple things.

Off to listen to the podcast.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:30 pm

I knew you would have to say something about that almighty pronounciation debate we had. Looking forward to hearing your take on it.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:49 pm

Ghost Nappa Song = WIN.

Looking forward to the interview.

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:40 pm

Downloading it now. Had a feeling you'd have a discussion on the "Son" debate you guys had yesterday. You buncha nerds. :P
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

hui43210
Not-So-Newbie

Post by hui43210 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:49 pm

I like the great revel Frieza sounds like............... Frieza!

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:52 pm

I'm pretty sure Julian stopped ABC's on episode 163. Where he did "Toei Animation". I'm pretty sure. May have been the next one. Where he said something about Namekians...

EDIT: Aaaand I'm wrong. It was #166. It was "na" or "nah". And he did Namekusejin. I know, totally wrong. Sorry.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:17 pm

Holy poop, Captain Ginyû!!

I gotta tell you Mike, Kaiser's placed my upload of episode one in their playlist. Every single damn comment I read in the quo is a quote from the show.

It hurts me...

EDIT: FREEEEEEEEEEEZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:34 pm

I'm really surprised Meri didn't yell out "chroma cells" while listing the new Latin America items! :lol:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:53 pm

Oh my God...did Lani do Mr. Satan or was that Taka's Ginyu right after Freeza? O.o

:shock:
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:29 am

Freeza and Ginyu sound AWESOME! X3

As does Guru. I don't know what to expect from Abridged!Freeza and Abridged!Ginyu, but from what little I've seen of Guru, I can't wait for him to show up. Poor, poor Nail. :lol:

And Bardock; oh I'm looking forward to him. X3

I was curious as anything about Freeza, because of the whole "dub Freeza is voiced by Linda Young, but Lanipator is a man, so would Abridged!Freeza be able to reach that pitch?".
Turns out that yes, its entirely possible. :3
Looking forward to Season 2 guys!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:12 am

jda95 wrote:I knew you would have to say something about that almighty pronunciation debate we had. Looking forward to hearing your take on it.
Guess who Rodrigo is. But of course, we need to have another debate on the pronunciation of my name :lol: I was bored and thought I'd send it in

I loved the Team Four Star interview, and I have to agree with Meri, I hate that I can't get the Ghost Nappa out of my head :D

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:31 am

Hey Mike and anyone else who's going to Otakon, I'd like to invite you to try and check out a particular panel, if you have the time. It's called "the Evolution of Anime" and it's being done by Froborr, a person I know from another site, and will be on Sunday I believe. It's about memes and changes in culture over time and whatnot, so it should be pretty interesting. Mention pie and win a booby! Or not.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Dizrythmia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dizrythmia » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:32 am

Nice brief Doctor Who reference in the voice email :)

I was listening to Meri discussing dodgy VCD releases of GT & remember a place in Adelaide's Chinatown I used to frequent semi regularly that had the whole series of Dragonball GT on VCD in a boxset (they still had it a few months ago actually, so they may still be selling it). They also had some other anime releases that were questionable. I've since discovered another one in the same Chinatown ($100 for 16 seasons of Simpsons anyone?) & got to wondering about the relevance of these places.

Every episode has been legally released in the original Japanese & English dub. Not to mention the fact that the cost of the boxsets actually undercuts the prices of a lot of these piracy distributors. I would have thought by now a lot of these places would have stopped stocking these dodgy releases.

Has anyone else noticed a cut back of these pirate releases, or are they as strong as ever? Obviously piracy will unfortunately always exist. I was curious as to whether a lot of these stores or market vendors were still peddling their wares in other places around the world.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:31 am

When Lanipator went "Something along these lines..." in his Freeza voice, I thought it sounded more like FUNimation Burter instead. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing... :)
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:45 am

I can't wait to hear Abridged "Guru" and Nail!!

Naiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiil... come clean my ass...!!

And Nappa pocessed me as well with his song...!!

And finally... someone said somthing about DBZABCs

The last thing was said was "Ni" with "Ningen" back in episode 169
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:28 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote:
The last thing was said was "Ni" with "Ningen" back in episode 169
Aw dammit. You're right..
Also...

400th POST!

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:01 pm

Sigh...
I know you guys don't understand why people call you elitist. I remember a couple of instances where one of you made fun of that accusation. But if you want a good example of why people think that, there's a moment in this episode that serves as a perfect example.

I'm talking about the Burst Limit clip. I'd like to point this out because it's something which may lead others to write you off as couple of snooty otaku. I'm a fan of the show and I look forward to listening to every episode. But comments like this might cause other potential listeners to turn away from a great experience and a chance to learn about Dragon Ball while having fun. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to tell you that it's not okay to hate on the dub, and I'm also well aware that this is your show and you can do whatever you please, but I know that you guys value feedback and other points of views.

First of all, I'd like to ask, just what exactly is wrong with that clip? Other than the fact Schemmel pronounced "Son" wrong, what about the three second was so horrible? Personally I feel that the performance is great, and fans of the Manga, Japanese version, and dub such as myself, really like that clip because we get to hear one of our favorite portrayals of Goku speak the character's full name. When one of you says something like that, something which seems uncalled for and unfounded, I'd say it's perfectly reasonable for somebody to assume that you're elitist. People like me who know that you aren't can better understand where you're coming from. But those who haven't listened to the show for a while will find small things like that off-putting enough to avoid listening to the show entirely. There wasn't any reasons given why Meri found this clip to be "horrible," it just seems like she didn't like it because it was from the dub. And it's that bias which taints the name of Daizenshuu EX in the minds of dub fans.

I don't really expect you guys to tone down the hate, or try to appeal to a larger crowd. I know many people feel that FUNimation deserves as much ridicule as they can possible endure because of all the terrible things they've done to us fans. :roll: However, I feel like if small things like that, which cause dub fans to resent you and your show, may be holding them back from exposure to the original and even opening their minds to watching the show with subtitles.

Other than that small complaint, it was a great show. I love these interviews with TeamFourStar. I respect those guys' work. They're truly an inspiration.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:08 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Oh my God...did Lani do Mr. Satan or was that Taka's Ginyu right after Freeza? O.o

:shock:

Your avatar. o_O

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:09 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:I know you guys don't understand why people call you elitist.
Have I ever said I don't understand? I might have... but that wouldn't be accurate :P.

Furthermore, if someone thinks that... excellent. We're not your typical, high-school-age, FUNimation dub fans... so if someone wants to mentally differentiate and categorize us in a way that makes sense to them... NEGATIVE CONNOTATION OR NOT... that's helpful to both us AND them.

If it's negative, I guess that sucks. Maybe they'll come back. Maybe they'll be suckered in to keep listening just to see how much they disagree with. We caught YOU, didn't we? :P
Innagadadavida wrote:First of all, I'd like to ask, just what exactly is wrong with that clip? Other than the fact Schemmel pronounced "Son" wrong, what about the three second was so horrible? Personally I feel that the performance is great, and fans of the Manga, Japanese version, and dub such as myself, really like that clip because we get to hear one of our favorite portrayals of Goku speak the character's full name. When one of you says something like that, something which seems uncalled for and unfounded, I'd say it's perfectly reasonable for somebody to assume that you're elitist. People like me who know that you aren't can better understand where you're coming from. But those who haven't listened to the show for a while will find small things like that off-putting enough to avoid listening to the show entirely. There wasn't any reasons given why Meri found this clip to be "horrible," it just seems like she didn't like it because it was from the dub. And it's that bias which taints the name of Daizenshuu EX in the minds of dub fans.
I'll let Meri go into detail if she wants, since she's the one who said it. Like she said on the show, she loathes forums, do I wouldn't necessarily expect a response :P. I'll pass on the word, though.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::