Episode #0200 (06 December 2009)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0200 (06 December 2009)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:31 pm

Episode #0200 (download MP3) (rss feed)
85:26; 64 kbps, mono; 39.1 MB

Episode #0200! DragonBall hits 25 years, Daizenshuu EX as a website closes in on 12 years, while the the podcast hits 4 years and 200 episodes. For a fitting topic, Hujio and Corey join us live in-studio to talk about community as it relates to DragonBall fandom. How has it changed over the years, what still needs to change, and what are we all thankful for? Before taking off to celebrate, we give away "Raging Blast" and two Dragon Box sets! Referenced sites:
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the never-thought-we'd-get-there *two-hundred* episodes, now.

We were very silly and forgot to take pictures during the recording and at the party. Did... uhh... anyone else manage to get anything? Here's something Meri snapped while we were waiting for Corey:

Like we talk about during the episode, it's you guys 'n gals that, at the end of the day, bring us back time and time again to create content about and discuss our favorite stupid little series from Japan. Thanks for all the good times!

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:41 pm

Aaesome. You switched the music. I've been waiting for this moment for a long time.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Saiyajin no Tatsujin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyajin no Tatsujin » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:57 pm

Nice. I can't wait to check this out when I get home later. Lookin' forward to it.

Congrats on the 200th episode! 8)

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:06 pm

So who's who in that picture?

Wish I could listen to the podcast now, but I guess I'll have to wait for my laptop to get fixed. I don't think this crappy old computer I'm using now could stand downloading anything larger than a flea turd.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:06 pm

Fate is being cruel and not letting me download it :( , but I SHALL PERSEVERE!
My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."

verto
Beyond Newbie

Post by verto » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:15 pm

Freeza Heika wrote:Fate is being cruel and not letting me download it :( , but I SHALL PERSEVERE!
Are you trying to get it from Itunes? Mine won't let me download it either. :'(
Proud to be a S<3NE.

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:18 pm

verto wrote:
Freeza Heika wrote:Fate is being cruel and not letting me download it :( , but I SHALL PERSEVERE!
Are you trying to get it from Itunes? Mine won't let me download it either. :'(
I tried downloading from the podcast page and rss. Neither works for me.
My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:19 pm

It's not letting me download it.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:25 pm

The server's down is why...

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:29 pm

It's back. Temporary internet bullshit corrected.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

verto
Beyond Newbie

Post by verto » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:39 pm

Yay its downloading now, thank you sire.
Proud to be a S<3NE.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:24 pm

I popped in before the show on the live stream and it was nice getting to see y'guys. Heath hardly if at all looks like his old Twitter avatar!! And and I swear, from the distance Corey looked like Aragorn!! O.o

A splendedly fun time it was. I hope there were some more pictures taken!!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:27 pm

JulieYBM wrote:And and I swear, from the distance Corey looked like Aragorn!! O.o
Yeah, it looked like he had long hair on the cam. :lol:
Looks like a totally different guy on the pic up there.

Fantastic episode, caught up to the part where I joined the stream.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:37 pm

I personally think, I well, don't take things too personally. But, than again I haven't posted much lately.

If I remember correctly, it was Kunzait_83 that said "KICKS TO THE FACE, EXTREME ACTION!! AMERICA! FUCK YEAH!" or the basic idea of that.

I'm thinking about sending a e-mail, audio one. Just say a little about community, what I'm looking forward to, etc.

I'm one of those people, who makes parodies, etc. So, I think I'm one of those laid back people. It's kinda weird, I feel kinda older than I am sometimes. I feel like I'm in my 20's like you guys; but, I'm only 16.

I'm one of those people who likes both the FUNimation dub and Japanese Version. I'm that guy who likes the English w/ Japanese BGM. I've been a fan since I was about 6 or 7, starting with an Ocean Dub VHS. Than, I found the DVD's, switched to the Japanese. I loved it, I'm also one of those people who wants to be a Voice Actor. I can act, and do voices. I'm still improving though. However, I gotta re-attempt/make some new DB Fandubs/Parodies.

I'm that guy who made the South Park-style parody of "Goku vs. Freeza". Which ironically the message of the entire thing was "No need to take this stuff, so goddamn seriously!".

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:29 pm

Threw it up on the Ipod, because I just didn't trust listening to it on my Laptop with my crappy headphones. =P

You did it. You finally switched the recap music. Gonna be weird hearing the second recap music, though. I'll have to get used to it. :lol:
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:34 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:And and I swear, from the distance Corey looked like Aragorn!! O.o
Yeah, it looked like he had long hair on the cam. :lol:
What can I say? I'm a pretty, pretty man. :P
Looks like a totally different guy on the pic up there.
Yep, that'd be Bryce. He occupied my spot until I arrived after getting caught in traffic (and getting a little turned around in Jersey). Then he took Tyler's (the orange cat in the photo) spot and got mauled ;p

I'll listen in a bit, but I had a blast coming up for the podcast and just to hang out in general. Like I was telling Heath earlier, we just need to devise some way to make tectonic plates shift so all of our locales are closer together. Like some sort of DragonBall-oriented Pangaea.

-Corey

Gogeta 00
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta 00 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:39 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
I'll listen in a bit, but I had a blast coming up for the podcast and just to hang out in general. Like I was telling Heath earlier, we just need to devise some way to make tectonic plates shift so all of our locales are closer together. Like some sort of DragonBall-oriented Pangaea.

-Corey
Hells yeah
[url=http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=9403] 12 years, 100 memories[/url]
[Former dub fan 1996-2008]

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:30 pm

Cool, Meri read my little piece about international DB communities! Somehow it feels like I've been celebrating the 200th podcast, too. ^^

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:54 pm

Wooh, "Prologue & Subtitle II"!

I admire Meri quitting forums and such cold turkey. I wish I had that willpower. I'm always discussing things online and it really cuts into my productivity as a person overall. Since the little work I do is all on the computer, it's very difficult for me. Meri's attitude is commendable.

I'm sure that Meri remembers her lovely forum at the Otaku Revolution board. She was even sort of an admin, though she was barely on. She's even still in Rob and my sprite comics based on the board. Hell, she was in one of mine recently.

Feature Films was the best feature in ToT, by far. My favorite character was Bubba Trunks.

Yeah, I thought I was being pretty positive in my Dragon Box review, but I understood where that one poster, Daimao, was coming from. Sometimes I can be accidently backhanded when I praise something, only because I'm a little uncomfortable with uniform positivity. Now, I still stand by my review itself, but I can get pretty worked up too, so I won't be a hypocritical about it.

I sure hope I get the chance to do a review for the second set for ANN. I like those guys, Zac, Justin, Brian, and the bunch. I don't always agree with them, but I have a deep respect for them, and think they have an interesting view on different anime.If I can lend my writing talent to that site, I will do it.

I've also been a huge Daizenshuu EX fan, so I'm pretty jazzed about being mentioned in the podcast. I'ma have DBZ music on a loop to celebrate.

I find Dragon Ball Z's sub vs dub arguments to be a lot different than the case for most other English dubs for anime. But actually, my friend that introduced me to DBZ, and anime in general, immediately told me it was "from Japan", because he recognized the style. I still, to this day, do not know how he knew.

Is Jake Jake like Pen Pen? Is he a penguin? I probably agree with most of what he says, but it does sound harsh when I hear it aloud. The Robotech example is what I always go towards.

I think there's a bit of a difference between comparing the differences in the manga and original Japanese version of the series and the Japanese version and the English dub. Toei was given the go-ahead to make a series of that manga, to expand upon it, and the show is intentional, that is the show that was meant to be made of it. The Funimation English dub takes an already complete product and changes it for American audiences. Funimation isn't an animation studio.

I loved hearing from the different parts of the world about their Dragon Ball communities. It makes Daizenshuu EX seem like Ellis Island. Give us your tired, your poor, your huddled assholes, who like arguing over whether Goku's voice is too high-pitched or not.

Great podcast.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:22 pm

...I have no idea what you're talking about ;p

Sorry, had to.

-Corey