Episode #0200 (06 December 2009)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:36 am

caejones wrote:
Herms wrote:
The Time Traveller wrote:He's getting married.
Wow, that's exciting. Congratulations to him then!
I'll be honest, when I heard him say it, my reaction was a very audible "WHAAAAAAAT? :shock: ".
Not that Julian seems unmarriable, or anything. There was just way less public information in the related fields than with Mike and Meri... :P ^_^
I am allowed to have a private life independent of the internet, you know. :P

That said, she was the girlfriend I was thumb-wrestling with while recording the podcast after the news of Dragon Ball Kai broke, and I've since gotten her hooked on the series. So Kai is worth something after all...!
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:50 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote: I am allowed to have a private life independent of the internet, you know. :P
Oh, Totally; I made a point of not having my name ever spoken in my (dead) podcast that existed 2007-2008... and have resisted revealing my gender / apperance / mostly anything (until I got tired of sounding "emo" and put a bunch of crap in my signature, but I digress.).
That said, she was the girlfriend I was thumb-wrestling with while recording the podcast after the news of Dragon Ball Kai broke, and I've since gotten her hooked on the series. So Kai is worth something after all...!
! And the awesome just keeps on coming... :D
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:36 pm

Julian... getting married?

... But what about me? Your soulmate? The Creepy Love Letter Guy? :cry: [size=0]Oh, come on, you remember.[/size]

Anyway, I think this is worthy enough for me to end my lengthy absence! Congrats podcast and... well, congrats Julian, I suppose. Even if he did break my heart.

Here's to 200 more! :D *raises wine glass*
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Milton
Patreon Supporter

Post by Milton » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:39 pm

Congrats to Julian for the happy news! Glad to know someone else here is taking the plunge next year, too.

Man, this episode was really great to listen to. It was comforting to know that other people have taken internet sabbaticals for their own well being, as well. I was pretty much in the same boat as everyone else in the discussion: burned out on fandom for a few years, then reemerged to see who was still standing online. Out of curiosity, anyone here remember the "take over" of the alt.fan.dragonball newsgroup? That was pretty much my last straw.

It still continues to amaze me how much this series has done for people in terms of bringing folks together. Though I really don't post that often, it's a nice feeling to know that there's a (relatively) sane community here nowadays that I can contribute to whenever.

To the DaizEX crew, congratulations on this milestone!

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:50 pm

I guess I didn't actually post my thoughts on the topic of the episode, did I? :oops:
Well, I think it's easiest to do some comparisons...
Of all the online community-type places I've been, I've only stuck with two to the present for multiple years--those being daizex and what was a DBZ Fanfiction community until the site died / the insane of us drove the sane away ( :oops: :( ).
Not that I haven't tried participating elsewhere, mind, but it seems like Daizex and Azuria are the only places that have kept me coming back. (Well, and YamuchaDensetsu and DB:Crisis, but more for entertainment value than anything. XD. ).
And I don't mean just in the realm of Dragonball, but communities in general; I tried lurking around starwars.com and *cough* supershadow for a while, looked at some tv.com boards for Power Rangers / Captain PLanet / I think there was another one... I've poked my head into uncannyxmen.net a time or two... have an inactive ff.net account...

What is it about Dragonball / it's community that led to these things? I have no idea. Maybe because DB takes itself less seriously than the other stuff I've mentioned, it's easier to find people in a middle area--not incredibly stupid, but not incredibly up-tight and ubernerdy (even though DB's fanbase has more than its fair share of those. :D )... making it more accessible? I dunno.
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:05 pm

Congratulations to Julian, and congratulations to the podcast for 200 episodes!

I have something to say in regards to Jake-Jake's e-mail, though. He seems to be a Star Wars fan, but he seems unaware that most of what he has said has already come to pass in that fandom. Voice and actor performances replaced, colors altered, new scenes/special effects added, lines changed with fans of the original barely acknowledged most of the time. Likewise, a lot of fans of the original do not acknowledge the "special editions" of Star Wars to be "real" Star Wars.

My two biggest fandoms are Dragon Ball and Star Wars, and it's eerie sometimes to see how similar the two are, both in the treatment of the properties and the splits within the fanbase.

Haha, Star Wars fans could certainly use an equivalent of the Dragon Box!

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:27 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot how they screwed over Sebastian Shaw...

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:33 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Congratulations to Julian, and congratulations to the podcast for 200 episodes!

I have something to say in regards to Jake-Jake's e-mail, though. He seems to be a Star Wars fan, but he seems unaware that most of what he has said has already come to pass in that fandom. Voice and actor performances replaced, colors altered, new scenes/special effects added, lines changed with fans of the original barely acknowledged most of the time. Likewise, a lot of fans of the original do not acknowledge the "special editions" of Star Wars to be "real" Star Wars.

My two biggest fandoms are Dragon Ball and Star Wars, and it's eerie sometimes to see how similar the two are, both in the treatment of the properties and the splits within the fanbase.

Haha, Star Wars fans could certainly use an equivalent of the Dragon Box!
Yeah, but what would that involve? Lucas biting the bullet and remastering the original footage, maybe throwing in all the deleted scenes...? (Meh, the difference betwix the two is that the original creator has a much more direct role in the stuff that has irked the fanbase. :( ).

This reminds me (to a far, far lesser extent) how the Phoenix Saga was changed in the X-Men DVD boxsets... Gladiator's original Voice-actor was replaced with his later one, but the more annoying part was how Lilandra's and Deken's voices were always under some kinda phaser that they weren't originally. -_- The annoyance... ... ... :mad:
(And since I've got my Phoenix Saga VHS _somewhere_ (with a recording of the original Starwars off of USA in the middle, for more fun tie-ins), I've totally got original Gladiator's deliveries on the replaced lines in my memory, making it just jarring to hear the replaced versions. I can't really complain... but... yeah. The phasers were stupid, though.)

m121akuma
Beyond Newbie

Post by m121akuma » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:11 pm

The discussion with Julian at the end actually had me a little misty-eyed. I may not be the most active DB fan, but it was an amazing sentiment, and really felt genuine. Congrats on 200 episodes, and here's to many more.

Oh, and congrats on that little getting-married thing too, Julian. :P

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:00 pm

I'm wondering, since you guys switched the intro music to Prologue and Subtitle II. To reflect the fact you've hit 200 episodes, does that mean you'll use the "DAN DAN Recap" music for 292 (or technically what would be GT episode 1 if you're going by the anime episode count)? Or use it at some point, even though GT isn't all that great, it'd be awesome (in my opinion) to see some of its music used at some point.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:50 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:I'm wondering, since you guys switched the intro music to Prologue and Subtitle II. To reflect the fact you've hit 200 episodes, does that mean you'll use the "DAN DAN Recap" music for 292 (or technically what would be GT episode 1 if you're going by the anime episode count)? Or use it at some point, even though GT isn't all that great, it'd be awesome (in my opinion) to see some of its music used at some point.
PLEASE do this guys. In my opinion, other than the vocal themes, the GT recap music is the best song in GT.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:36 pm

So what would they switch to after episode 355? The Kai intro music maybe? Or would they go back around and use the original DB intro music until episode 508?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:47 pm

If there's been a plan for four years for this change in BGM, rest assured I have more than you can comprehend already outlined.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:48 pm

You're using Bruce Faulconer's recap music?!
Last edited by The Time Traveller on Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:50 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:You're using Bruce Faulconer's recap music?!
I'm half-tempted to ban you.

:evil:
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Xane
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Xane » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:53 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
The Time Traveller wrote:You're using Bruce Faulconer's recap music?!
I'm half-tempted to ban you.

:evil:
Last time...on Daizenshuu EX the Podcast!
Once upon a time everything was lovely. But that was before I had to deal with people.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:58 pm

VegettoEX wrote:If there's been a plan for four years for this change in BGM, rest assured I have more than you can comprehend already outlined.
Ah, alright. It's just something that came to mind when looking at the change, reflecting when it happened in the anime. Since it was only there for 91 episodes.

I'm really impressed, it takes a lot of dedication to have a podcast that comes out weekly. 200 episodes, wow, even if I wanted to do one, I don't think I could come even close to it. If I ever do one, I may try one of my other favorites: Death Note.

Ever since I started listening consistently/constantly, I've always wanted to try a podcast. It's just getting someone who would wanna talk with me about it. I've got the mic, etc. to do it. Anyways, honestly, all the podcasts you're part of (Daizex, VG Convos, etc.) I look forward to them. I figured I might as well say that, since it's the podcast itself being talked about.

I almost forgot, congratulations Julian!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:34 am

SaiyaJedi wrote:
caejones wrote:
Herms wrote: Wow, that's exciting. Congratulations to him then!
I'll be honest, when I heard him say it, my reaction was a very audible "WHAAAAAAAT? :shock: ".
Not that Julian seems unmarriable, or anything. There was just way less public information in the related fields than with Mike and Meri... :P ^_^
I am allowed to have a private life independent of the internet, you know. :P

Congratulations. Now I feel older and older as people my age get married one after another.
On another note, that also is a bit out of topic, but does anyone know attended the Daizenshuu Ex party after the last podcast?

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:45 am

Just today I listened to this Podcast. I see what you did there, changing the opening music to the second "Prologue/Subtitle" music!

Here's my comment on the long "community" discussion: It seems like everyone is either on one side of the issue or the other side. Why can't there be people that like both versions? I mean, I like the Japanese version of DB/Z, especially the characterizations of certain characters. But I also like the English dub of DB/Z (with the original Japanese music, NOT the Shuki Levy/Bruce Falcouner/Mark Menza music), and I understand that the characterizations are going to be more toward a much younger audience. Certain voices I like and certain voices I don't, but all in all, I like both the Japanese and English versions of the show. Even Sean Schemmel enjoyed Masako Nozawa's Goku, even after Goku reached adulthood. He understands why the voice was still the same all throughout, and understands why the voice has to be different when done into English. (Most notably, in general when you get outside of Japan, when boys grow up, their voice gets deeper. :) ) It's good to know that some of the English cast also do enjoy and respect the Japanese version of the show. There is NO LAW that I know of where you have to be firmly on one side of this debate.

This was a show that became popular worldwide WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE INTERNET OR DIGITAL FANSUBS -- part of the reason why the show still is popular today. Back in the day before fansubs became widely rampant with high-speed Internet connections, other countries got hold of this show and broadcasted it in their own countries. What gets me is that there are still people to this day that don't understand the reasoning behind most of the changes that had to be done to Z to make it even more successful here. It was going to be a wildly popular show in America, regardless of who was going to put it out. Tinkering had to be done with certain things here when localized into English -- primarily editing to broadcast standards, mostly, with the blessing of the Japanese licensors -- but the show was still a big hit. In part, because the show *was* edited, that's how people got into the show, and now these people have sought out the unedited versions of the show - and thanks to the Orange Bricks and the Dragon Box, they can have it.

Mike and I have extremely different thoughts on certain things of DB/Z and its fandom, but the bottom line is that we both like the show, and it's one of many things that have brought us together. Not just Mike, but most of the rest of you out there on this forum. I'm certain thankful for that.

Also, congratulations on Julian for his impending marriage! Maybe if I ever move up to Connecticut to be with my friend I've known for about 7 years, I could do the marriage thing too; at least in Connecticut it's legal.

Way to go with 200+ episodes, Mike/Meri/Julian! Here's to at least 200 more! And maybe the next time you have a milepost celebration of the Podcast, I can drive up and join you in person. :)
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:10 pm

Nice episode. Julian was just kidding about thinking everyone was going to meet up at Sapporo City though, right?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.