Episode #0235 (17 October 2010)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Re: Episode #0235 (17 October 2010)

Post by SSJ2bardock » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:08 pm

James Marsters should've played Piccolo and Goku.... and Yamcha........ and Bulma.

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:04 pm

I actually enjoyed the special.

The fact of the matter is, for me, this was NEW Dragon Ball, something I haven't had beyond the JSAT. So, I was really just watching it for the first time. And you know what? It wasn't that bad.

The music was obnoxious, of that there's no doubt. But I was catching myself actually humming along to a couple of the tracks (probably the theme, in hindsight). It's catchy alright, but in a totally wrong way. I think it's in the "so bad it's good" category, EXCEPT for the last track that plays over the final credits at the end of 2nd part. I really liked that one.

By the way, did anyone notice that this OVA was the epitome of a "bad animation" day? God, it looked atrocious at times. And on the top of that, the special was so grainy, like, going even beyond what's normal for the series. I just found it very off-putting.

I don't know if Vegeta's entrance in this OVA was cool or not, because he comes in so uncharacteristicly calm. I mean, is it awesome because he's calm, or is it not because he's usually much more arrogant when he appears?

Also, I really loved the one scene with Super Saiyan Trunks, when he used a blade of ice as a sword. That was so cool!

The monsters, as Meri described, were non-threatening and less-than-generic, and I totally agree. I found them so forgettable, except the one Piccolo fought. Did anyone notice it spoke Spanish breifly?

I thought the plot itself, aside from the "Destron Gas", was fairly decent. I also like that it was sort of brought back in GT, since that was actually one of my favorite parts of GT AND the special. I always like knowing more things about the Saiyan's history. Also, I really like that Hatchiyack didn't really speak, and that made him really rather awesome, 'cause I'm sick of villians always yapping instead of just freaking fighting. Which is another thing, I LOVED that Hatchiyack, within 10 seconds of his appearance, totally knocks Vegeta out. That was great!

I liked that the movies villians, along with Frieza, came back. That's defienetly a positive. I also enjoyed Dr. Raichi's flashback. I liked that he died right at the last moment XD

I think I liked the special mainly because, it takes a lot, a lot for me to dislike something, because honestly, as I was watching this, I had a smile on my face. Part of it was, I was watching something I had never, ever seen before. But even so, I guess it's just that, I can never watch anything Dragon Ball, and HATE it. Even with DBE, I LOVED the movie. I'm just very easy to please, I guess.

I think I need to watch ALL of GT, the Chinese Dragon Ball movie, and DBZ movie 4, in order to make sure of I really can enjoy anything Dragon Ball, since that seems to be who I am.

To conclude, my favorite part, by far, is the Ghost Warriors line. XD Fucking epic.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:46 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:
nathantheguitarist wrote:And there's no end-of-podcast chatting? I guess Corey's too expensive to have him hang around after he's done the deed? :P
Heh, nah, there wasn't really anything this week. Corey's a professional, yo! Unlike some other guy, he's to the point and awesome and doesn't let me go on about random bullshit!
Yeah, that's one key difference in podcasting with Mike and Meri vs. podcasting with Heath: With the former, you wrap and the first words that are heard after hitting stop on the recording are Meri saying, "Okay, I'm going to bed." Then Mike follows soon after. ;)

With the latter...well, Heath and I have a tendency to chat on Skype for 3-4 hours after finishing the recording (And Ryan, kickass fellow that he is, stuck around for the long haul after we did the Big Green Podcast).

It's all good times though.

(And come on Nathan, I'm the slut of the family, not the whore. ;p)

-Corey
Yeah, post podcast is always the best! :mrgreen:

Hey guys, they're ghost warriors!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:58 pm

Interesting podcast. I guess I still need to watch the OVA, if only to see if it's as bad as you guys make it sound.

Corey described Gokua as a reuse of Chrono’s character design, but actually DBZ movie 9 actually predates Chrono Trigger by 2 years (1993 vs 1995).

Mike, I want to bop you on the head with a rolled up magazine every time you say “chibi Boo”. Stop making people think that’s some official term!

“Mammoth Mogul” is a villain from Archie Comics’ Sonic the Hedgehog series. He’s one of the original villains created for the Archie comic series, and doesn’t appear in the Sonic games or the Sonic cartoon which the comic series was originally based on. True to his name, he’s an anthropomorphic mammoth who dresses like a business tycoon. Originally he was just a regular guy who lived on Planet Mobius in prehistoric times, but he gained immortality after an incident involving a chaos emerald. In the series he keeps getting involved in various chaos emerald-related shenanigans. He’s basically a Sonic version of Vandal Savage. So yeah, apparently your e-mailer takes his (?) internet name from him.

Anyway, I’m not too convinced that the point he brings up is really an inconsistency. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen that filler arc, but from what I remember all the fighters on the Dai-Kaio’s planet were said to have kept their bodies after they died, gone to the Dai-Kaio’s planet, and trained right there on the Dai-Kaio’s planet. I don’t think there’s any mention of any of them crossing Snake Road to train on North Kaio’s planet. It might also be pointed out that the guide oni tells Goku that he thinks Enma is the only person to have reached the end of Snake Road in the last 100 million years, so there’s a bit of wriggle room in that statement anyway.

Incidentally, I’ve always wondered if the oni’s statement is supposed to include Kaio himself. Because if not, wouldn’t that imply that Kaio’s been on his planet for 100 million years? Which goes against Toriyama’s statement in the SEG: Character Volume that Kaio live only 75,000 years.

While we’re on the subject, the guide oni’s line is the basis for the first entry in Daizenshuu 7’s timeline, which says that “over 100 million years ago”, “Kaio’s planet is confirmed to have existed”. The idea being that if the oni says he thinks Enma’s the only person to have reached Kaio’s planet in the last 100 million years, then the planet must be at least that old. This entry got distorted somewhat in Greg Werner’s influential DB timeline on his site. He had it as “Earliest Kaiou Samma is thought exist”, and so most timelines you see on DB fansites (including, it almost need not be said, DB wikia) include this mistake. It might seem somewhat minor, but the original line is meant as simply the minimum age for North Kaio’s planet, whereas this mistranslation has it refer to the earliest age for the Kaios as a whole. The mistranslation also makes it harder to tie the entry back to the manga line it’s based on.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:21 am

So, I haven't seen the "OVA", other than the intro on that fandub from a while ago (did that ever go anywhere?), and the "scroll" ending of the Playdia game.
But from what I've read and heard, I like the bit with the Destron Gas. It handycaps the characters without really handycapping them... so we see a degree of strategy-ness.

I don't like Kaio's involvement all that much, given how we know he tends to behave... but the same sort of thing happened in movies3 and 4, which are both referenced here, so I guess that makes it all sparkles.

"Hey guys, they're ghost warriors!"

Raichi and Hachihyak really feel like ye generic movie bosses to me. Although those details on Raichi's "survival" / "death" are kinda interesting, I guess.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:01 am

Herms wrote:Corey described Gokua as a reuse of Chrono’s character design, but actually DBZ movie 9 actually predates Chrono Trigger by 2 years (1993 vs 1995).
True, though if I recall correctly the development on Chrono Trigger took about 2-3 years. So, going by release dates sure, Movie 9 wins. Going by when the respective titles were developed...eh, I'd say it's a toss-up. Knowing Toriyama, they're both rehashes of another character entirely. ;)

-Corey

Kuhan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kuhan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:32 pm

QOTE (not a typo, It's Quote of the Episode):

[quote=VegettoEX]Toriyama could draw f**king slime and make it cute and lovable[/quote]

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:08 am

Kuhan wrote:QOTE (not a typo, It's Quote of the Episode):
VegettoEX wrote:Toriyama could draw f**king slime and make it cute and lovable

Also, interesting stuff from Marsters.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:14 am

I'm going to have to agree with you guys. The majority of the special sucked major arse and the music was so stupid it made me laugh out loud. Thankfully as soon as the credits stopped and Hatchyack appeared, it got good, really good. The funeral sounding music was awesome and watching a classic movie-style Z Fighters beating is always fun to watch 8) . The alternate endings from the Playdia game are awesome.