Episode #0248 (20 February 2011)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0248 (20 February 2011)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:24 pm

Episode #0248 (download MP3) (rss feed)
63:51; 96 kbps, mono; 44.1 MB

Episode #0248! VegettoEX and Julian cover all the latest news, from crazy release schedules to new prices to online streaming and beyond. Kaboom stops by to talk about an on-going fan project to beef up the Bardock TV special, and we give a short first-look at "Ultimate Butoden" for the Japanese Nintendo DS. Releases, e-mails, and a look back at Internet past rounds out the episode. Referenced sites:
w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kaboom

Re: Episode #0248 (20 February 2011)

Post by Kaboom » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:42 pm

Just a note, I'm really only there so that Mike wouldn't simply be talking to himself for a half hour. I say very little. Sorry to disappoint, ladies.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:51 pm

Kaboom wrote:Just a note, I'm really only there so that Mike wouldn't simply be talking to himself for a half hour. I say very little. Sorry to disappoint, ladies.
Followed by ten minutes of me talking to myself about "Ultimate Butoden".
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:52 pm

I talked about the Vegeta refrigerator! I'm pretty sure we made some bad puns and jokes... but yeah, it was an interesting segment of news, that's for sure. :P

Also, when you get into the old people talk at the end (dial-up?), I totally know where you're coming from.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:33 pm

Great discussion about the project. I'd call itBardock: Daizex Cut, which is short and catchy.

Y'know, I just remembered...Ginga Banjô voices King Vegeta in episode #78. Satô Masaharu voices him for movie eight, and for Dragon Ball Z episode #124 he is voiced by Kishino Yukimasa. That'll make for a bit of inconsistency! O.o

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:49 am

Are you saying they sell a Vegeta that's a Freeza?

I'm against adding Broly canon into the special. It's best to pretend Broly never happened.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:59 am

(This is all so weird to talk about because it was back in 2001 and 2002 for me, but it doesn't feel long ago at all. It feels like it could have been two years ago, but it's really been 9 or 10; the concept of time gets a little muddled the longer you've been around I think. I know that you guys--well, Mike, Meri, and Julian at least--are all several years older than me, does it ever feel that way for you sometimes?)
I like the reminiscing because I remember that era too. X3 Definitely recall the days where I'd be waiting all day long for stuff to download. (And the video clip resolution! They were like 100 x 300 pixels with really jerky frame rates. XD ) Back when I had to log off because a family member needed to use the phone because we had dial-up and nobody had cell phones yet.
And so, so many floppy disks...
I don't miss dial-up at all though. XD
The floppies weren't that bad. Actually liked them better than burning files to CD; that short-lived CD era that was post-floppy, but pre-USB drove me nuts. USB's are like modern-day floppies to me and that's great. :3

Completely understandable about not putting the file for the Bardock project online. I'd like to hear your review of it if you do decide to talk about the project on a later episode.

Really wishing for an English release of Ultimate Butoden; it seems like one of those games that I'd actually want badly enough to import the Japanese version of. I very well may if the game doesn't come out in English.

I really hope Vegeta's "Bad Man" outfit is a clothing option once you get to the Cell arc. I've wanted to play as him in that costume since the first PS2 Budoukai game.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:53 am

Chuquita wrote:(This is all so weird to talk about because it was back in 2001 and 2002 for me, but it doesn't feel long ago at all. It feels like it could have been two years ago, but it's really been 9 or 10; the concept of time gets a little muddled the longer you've been around I think. I know that you guys--well, Mike, Meri, and Julian at least--are all several years older than me, does it ever feel that way for you sometimes?)
I like the reminiscing because I remember that era too. X3 Definitely recall the days where I'd be waiting all day long for stuff to download. (And the video clip resolution! They were like 100 x 300 pixels with really jerky frame rates. XD ) Back when I had to log off because a family member needed to use the phone because we had dial-up and nobody had cell phones yet.
And so, so many floppy disks...
I don't miss dial-up at all though. XD
The floppies weren't that bad. Actually liked them better than burning files to CD; that short-lived CD era that was post-floppy, but pre-USB drove me nuts. USB's are like modern-day floppies to me and that's great. :3

Completely understandable about not putting the file for the Bardock project online. I'd like to hear your review of it if you do decide to talk about the project on a later episode.

Really wishing for an English release of Ultimate Butoden; it seems like one of those games that I'd actually want badly enough to import the Japanese version of. I very well may if the game doesn't come out in English.

I really hope Vegeta's "Bad Man" outfit is a clothing option once you get to the Cell arc. I've wanted to play as him in that costume since the first PS2 Budoukai game.
Agreed, floppies are fun :D

Anyway, really should have seen the inability to upload the Sayain montage coming; after what's happened to Team Four Star, we don't want anything Daizex-related for Toei to hit. Is it a straight up clip show or an AMV?

Due to the nigh-broken state of my DS, Ultimate Butoden was never on my radar to start with, but I'm still impressed that a lighting-fast, Dragonball 64 fighting game with a dynamic camera could be pulled off. I think it says a lot about the hardware; with Spirit Tracks, Golden Sun, UB, Pokemon B/W, DS is going out with a bang.

Back on topic, it was certainly nice to hear Kaboom on again.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:49 am

Hey Mike dude. The DVD is from freaking Portugal! You know, from where I live!? lol :P

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:45 am

DNA wrote:Hey Mike dude. The DVD is from freaking Portugal! You know, from where I live!? lol :P
;_;

I blanked. Wasn't expecting to mention it during conversation.

I love podcasting, but I also really love writing things and doing fact-checking on articles before posting... :evil:

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:45 pm

The Bardock special aired on October 17th, 1990. Meanwhile chapter 296, where Freeza mentions fighting with King Vegeta, came out just a little bit later, on October 29th, 1990. Then episode 78, with King Vegeta's mini-rebellion against Freeza, came out on February 13th, 1991.

My guess is that the entire "King Vegeta rebellion" filler was created to patch up a little inconsistency between the manga and Bardock special. The Bardock special showed Freeza blasting the planet to smithereens safely from orbit, and the only Saiyan who gets anywhere near him during all this is Bardock. However, in the manga when Freeza talks about attacking Planet Vegeta, he says he fought the king, implying that they actually came face to face during the event. So the filler fixes this by showing King Vegeta actually go up to Freeza and fight him, after which Freeza blasts the planet from space like in the Bardock special.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:01 pm

Herms wrote:My guess is that the entire "King Vegeta rebellion" filler was created to patch up a little inconsistency between the manga and Bardock special. The Bardock special showed Freeza blasting the planet to smithereens safely from orbit, and the only Saiyan who gets anywhere near him during all this is Bardock. However, in the manga when Freeza talks about attacking Planet Vegeta, he says he fought the king, implying that they actually came face to face during the event. So the filler fixes this by showing King Vegeta actually go up to Freeza and fight him, after which Freeza blasts the planet from space like in the Bardock special.
It didn't come across as an inconsistency to me. I just figured that Freeza fought the King, then blew up the planet. Both the manga and Bardock special only show Bardock's final stand against Freeza in space, before Freeza blasts him and Planet Vegeta into oblivion.

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:02 pm

penguintruth wrote:Are you saying they sell a Vegeta that's a Freeza?

I'm against adding Broly canon into the special. It's best to pretend Broly never happened.
Image...yeah dawg.

Broly....never happened. *snaps fingers*

The customization sounds cool. Can't wait to hear your final verdict of Ultimate Butoden, Mike.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:53 pm

Great podcast guys...At least I would be saying that if the topic wasn't such a tease. :x

I kid, I kid. :P Julian and Kaboom make up for it I guess.

It was interesting to hear Mike going solo. Did you have a cold or something? Your voice was a bit different when alone. That segment was also very different than other game first thoughts. It felt more like a review you'd do on the site, not to mention you actually liked it which is encouraging. Maybe you could do a video review since you already have the audio, post it up on Youtu---oh right...

Overall, nice listen.

P.S. Mike I like how you say Kakkarot. It sounds like you're trying to say Kakkarotto, but instead say Kakkarot.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:34 pm

I'd pay to see a "Director's Cut" of the Bardock special. Oh and this episode Julian sounds like he's in the room with you! Did he get higher quality recording or something?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:22 pm

metamoss wrote:Did he get higher quality recording or something?
Nah, he just recorded locally and I used that instead of the Skype recording. He did that last time, too, but took too long before getting around to sending it... the episode was already out by that point :P. He's got a nice headset, so I like to use his own recording when I can.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:26 am

VegettoEX wrote:
metamoss wrote:Did he get higher quality recording or something?
Nah, he just recorded locally and I used that instead of the Skype recording. He did that last time, too, but took too long before getting around to sending it... the episode was already out by that point :P. He's got a nice headset, so I like to use his own recording when I can.
Ahh. That explains things. It seems nice and crisp. Unfortunately this episode (on an unrelated note), when I converted the episode (for the first time on this laptop my gramps gave me and I used iTunes to convert the show to AAC to listen on my DSi) the laptop glitched and I kinda missed the last 30 secs. of the show... it just repeated the same split second interval of your voice for the rest of it... it was kinda weird. Anyways, random.