Episode #0257 (01 May 2011)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0257 (01 May 2011)

Post by VegettoEX » Tue May 03, 2011 7:37 pm

Episode #0257 (download MP3) (rss feed)
64:08; 96 kbps, mono; 44.3 MB

Episode #0257! VegettoEX, Meri, and Jeff dive into Volume 39 in our "Manga Review of Awesomeness". Majin Buu has finally hatched, and the heroes and civilians throughout the world are already suffering at his hands. The wacky villain is a huge change-up from the last two story arcs, though. Has Toriyama returned to his comedic roots? 2010's video game sales, wonderful French release news, May's releases, and your e-mails round out the episode. Referenced sites:
Hey, it's a podcast episode. That's neat. w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Episode #0257 (01 May 2011)

Post by JulieYBM » Tue May 03, 2011 8:58 pm

I think what Me (spelling?) was getting at was more the focus on the vocal themes and less the background music...? If so, I do have to agree. Other than the last Yamamoto release for Dragon Ball Kai most of the pieces hadn't been used in-episode yet (nor do y'all actually watch Dragon Ball Kai to discuss how it is used). I'd love to see an episode based on how the music is used in Dragon Ball, the influences of the music, and...uh...the number of compositions made and how often? Yeah, cool stuff like that.

*Tips gallon hat toward Jeff*

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Wed May 04, 2011 12:33 am

Always great to hear Jeff and his greenhorn outlook on the series. If I wasn't in the know about who shows up when in the series, I think I could see Majin Boo and Fusion being from GT.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed May 04, 2011 12:53 am

ARRR~~~~RRGGHH

Vegeta's "I did!" is a Viz-ism. Originally he just says "Yo!".

I, uh...didn't think it was worth mentioning. But I guess I was wrong.

It is always hard to decide which ones are worth including and which ones aren't, because different things stand out as important to different people. I personally had always hated that Vegeta line too, but figured picking on a throwaway comment like that would seem too nitpicky. But then you all honed in on that line as sounding strange, so I guess it was more striking a change than I thought.

Meanwhile with the galaxy/universe thing, I included it because the original line was this hyperbolic warning about how Boo will mean the end of everything everywhere, but by changing "universe" to "galaxy" it becomes a relatively localized threat. "This galaxy will be finished!...but the other 75% of the DB universe will remain A-OK."

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Wed May 04, 2011 9:16 am

The scene where Vegeta knocks out Trunks isn't the only time the score gets interrupted by the action--there's also the "MIND POWER...Ki..." scene.

Honestly, I was expecting more confusion from Jeff about the Z-Sword. I always thought that thing came completely out of left field, especially after Future Trunks' little demonstration about weapons against King Cold. Oh well, maybe that's just me. :P

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed May 04, 2011 11:15 am

Actually, I was making waffles that morning. :)

I did check to see if you guys were on, but it seemed you had either already finished, or hadn't started yet.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed May 04, 2011 1:27 pm

ThunderPX wrote:Honestly, I was expecting more confusion from Jeff about the Z-Sword. I always thought that thing came completely out of left field, especially after Future Trunks' little demonstration about weapons against King Cold. Oh well, maybe that's just me. :P
Rule of thumb: swords are cool.

And perhaps swords do somewhat help in battle, since Trunks still uses it against the Androids (until it gets broken) after his lesson to King Cold.

Herms

Post by Herms » Wed May 04, 2011 1:32 pm

Dabra also used a sword against Gohan just last volume. And Yajirobe was able to cut off flippin' Oozaru Vegeta's tail with a sword. It's a wonder the characters don't use them more often, really.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed May 04, 2011 3:19 pm

Rather glaring... not really plothole, but plotdumbness at least: If Gohan was supposedly "dead", wouldn't he have come back to life when they wished on Shen Long for everyone who died that day to come back? Didn't any of the characters think about this?

Dorexx
Regular

Post by Dorexx » Wed May 04, 2011 3:26 pm

Rather glaring... not really plothole, but plotdumbness at least: If Gohan was supposedly "dead", wouldn't he have come back to life when they wished on Shen Long for everyone who died that day to come back? Didn't any of the characters think about this?
Bulma wished for the people killed by Vegeta at the tournament to be brought back.

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Wed May 04, 2011 4:22 pm

Kibito came back to life, so the wish can't have been to revive those killed by Vegeta. It was for any good person that happened to die. Not pictured in the manga: random West City guy that happened to get hit by a truck that day waking up in a morgue, confused as to why he's on a table. Also wondering where the big red dude with the mahogany desk is.

Herms

Post by Herms » Wed May 04, 2011 5:01 pm

Dorexx wrote:Bulma wished for the people killed by Vegeta at the tournament to be brought back.
They did make the wish to bring those people back, but they actually worded it as "bring back everyone who died today, except the evil people", which is why Kibito came back too (but not the likes of Dabra or Pui-Pui). Under those conditions, Gohan should have been revived too, if he had really died.

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Wed May 04, 2011 6:36 pm

Yeah, well fizzles and chips to you too Vegeta. Thanks for being such a vicious joke of a character in both power and personality.

I think Buu's joy through the heroes's sorrow sort of shows how twisted a situation can get. A lot of anime are using this exact same thing right now. Also, really awesome that you guys noticed Bulma's reaction could be taken in two ways. I would've never noticed. :)

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Wed May 04, 2011 9:04 pm

Herms wrote:And Yajirobe was able to cut off flippin' Oozaru Vegeta's tail with a sword.
Yes, but that's part of my hypothesis that Yajirobe is secretly the strongest character in the franchise.

But in all seriousness, prior usage of weapons seems to hint at something like "weapons can be used as an extension of an already capable fighter, but otherwise they're useless," so I'm kind of confused as to why Kaioshin thinks some dude who almost got killed by Buu in a single blow can use a sword to become super-awesome. Or why, if he already had a hunch that this might just be the one guy who can use this awesome super mega ultra sword, he didn't mention it before.

Meh. I don't want to complain about this too much, but for all the weird things that happened in the Buu arc, this one just always struck me as completely jarring. Apparently Toriyama thought so too, since he quickly proceeds to ditch the sword for a different Gohan powerup. :P

Herms

Post by Herms » Wed May 04, 2011 9:32 pm

ThunderPX wrote:But in all seriousness, prior usage of weapons seems to hint at something like "weapons can be used as an extension of an already capable fighter, but otherwise they're useless," so I'm kind of confused as to why Kaioshin thinks some dude who almost got killed by Buu in a single blow can use a sword to become super-awesome.
Well, the legend was that the sword would make whoever pulled it out the strongest in the universe, and I guess Kaioshin just had faith in that. And it turned out to be basically true...but not in the way he thought.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed May 04, 2011 9:43 pm

I don't remember if this was brought up last time, but I'm surprised y'all didn't mention how short Gokû's fight with Majin Vegeta was, espicially in comparison to the anime. I guess it's one of those things that can be left up to a [hopeful] anime review of awesomeness.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Thu May 05, 2011 1:12 am

Mike,
I actually still visit, all the time. I just don't post a whole lot. If you still want me on the Podcast, by all means, I'd love to come on and take part in an entirely BGM-centric topic. The only thing is, the laptop I was using died recently and that would have been perfect for a Skype conversation, but let me know when you want to do it, and I'll see what I can work out.

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Fri May 06, 2011 4:12 pm

I wonder if the introduction of the swords in this arc was due to an editor or somebody convincing Toriyama that swords are cool. And that he should add them in his manga. And Toriyama tried with Dabra and the Z Sword, but it just didn't work out.

I'm just picturing that episode in Bakuman where they add swords in thier manga because Bleach was so popular.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sat May 14, 2011 5:34 pm

I bought yesterday a certain smartphone. Is it me or are the podcast numbering reversed on iTunes?

roidrage
Beyond Newbie

Post by roidrage » Fri May 20, 2011 12:03 am

Herms wrote:ARRR~~~~RRGGHH

Vegeta's "I did!" is a Viz-ism. Originally he just says "Yo!".

I, uh...didn't think it was worth mentioning. But I guess I was wrong.

It is always hard to decide which ones are worth including and which ones aren't, because different things stand out as important to different people. I personally had always hated that Vegeta line too, but figured picking on a throwaway comment like that would seem too nitpicky. But then you all honed in on that line as sounding strange, so I guess it was more striking a change than I thought.

Meanwhile with the galaxy/universe thing, I included it because the original line was this hyperbolic warning about how Boo will mean the end of everything everywhere, but by changing "universe" to "galaxy" it becomes a relatively localized threat. "This galaxy will be finished!...but the other 75% of the DB universe will remain A-OK."
That line threw me off to, and I rely on the VIz translation!

"What happened?"
"I did!"

No wonder!