Episode #0259 (22 May 2011)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Re: Episode #0259 (22 May 2011)

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Tue May 24, 2011 3:09 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I was still somewhat of a punk kid myself at the time, so my memory of the petition isn't all that great. Daimao might be able to shed a little light on it.
You and Steve discussed it at length on episode #0052 of the podcast, you know. (Great episode.)

Haha, Meri's told that whole "GOKU HAS A SON?!" story three times now on the podcast, with that same delivery. In fact, you pointed that out to her the second time she did it, Mike. Poor woman's going senile! ;)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue May 24, 2011 3:11 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:You and Steve discussed it at length on episode #0052 of the podcast, you know. (Great episode.)
I figured as much, but I wasn't sure how much detail we went into. OK, then! Everyone go back and listen to that thing, too!
Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Haha, Meri's told that whole "GOKU HAS A SON?!" story three times now on the podcast, with that same delivery. In fact, you pointed that out to her the second time she did it, Mike. Poor woman's going senile! ;)
And I almost pointed it out to her again this time, too! I'm glad I'm not the only one enthralled by the fact that the story has the exact same delivery each time. :)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Tue May 24, 2011 3:30 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Interesting how my viewpoint about doing this for a topic hadn't really changed at all over the last 5-6 years. I think it helped saving it for as long as we did, actually. Like I said during the show, I ended up having a ton of fun jotting everything down and bringing it all back to high school and early college years for myself. It was certainly weird times, but let enough years fly by and suddenly it's still weird, but with a little rose-tinting going on to paint it in a better light.
Yeah, I'll be fair: It was the right decision to sit on it. I don't think any of us expected that the show would be ongoing almost six years later, so it helps that those early episodes made a real can-do effort to be informative and personal rather than hang your hat on tired fandom cliches. Now (years later) you're in a position to exploit those in your own unique way that makes those topics less predictable and dull, because there's a conscious, developing body of work that has helped you to establish a style and presence that enables you and the crew to put that ol' DaizEX spin on 'em. Suddenly beat-a-dead-horse topics are made somewhat fresh, because it's coming from Opinions Made Fun and a source that matters.
VegettoEX wrote:Anyway, I didn't mean to semi-apologize for even doing this as a topic so many times (or at least it kinda felt that way). I thought it was fun, it sounds like people actually learned something from it, and as I anticipated, all the old folks seemed to have a good time just listening to things they know about :).
A topic like this gives older fans a connection with the show and each other. What? The folks at DaizEX are gonna dish about fansubs? They've been around as long as I have! I have feelings and/or care about this old-timey subject! Can't wait to listen while playing CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA on my wind-up phonograph.
VegettoEX wrote:In conclusion, props to my man Lemmy for being one of the biggest and longest-running supporters of the podcast :D.
Ehh, I could do more. Then again, it's not like I do nothing. I still have those Q&A transcripts there, fella. Don't know if you still want 'em, but they friggin exist. ;p

~Da Lemmy

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Tue May 24, 2011 7:59 pm

I really love these topics about the old days (mostly because i didn't get to experience those journeys). Really wonderful podcast to listen (as usual)

For those you liked this kind of topic, i suggest going back to these two past podcast and give them a listen, since they really compliment each other:

- Episode 52: Podcast's one year anniversary with Steven J. Simmons
- Episode 190: Ethics in fandom, with Scott Melzer and Jeff

(And maybe also episode 184: FUNimation Dragon Box announcement, with a full history on the Dragon Ball anime releases in America)

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Wed May 25, 2011 12:21 am

In regards to Pearl TV, the station is actually owned by TVB (Television Broadcasts LTD). For Asian film buffs, the station was established over 40 years ago by a man named Run-Run Shaw(i kid you not. That is his name!). He is also well known as the man who established Shaw Brothers Studios famously known for producing such classic films like "The One Armed Swordsman" (Quentin Tarantino's favorite flick), "The 36 Chambers of Shaolin" and etc. Pearl TV is TVB's other station catered to air "international" programs in languages other than Cantonese and is still running to this very day. In fact, they've been airing Season 5 of "House MD" on a weekly basis. They typically air shows in its original language along with a Cantonese dub. I had a good laugh at watching "House MD" as I recognize most of the dub voices from the Cantonese dub of "Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood". (Roy Mustang is HOUSE!!!) I think TVB-Pearl also aired their "Journey to the West" series dubbed in English but I'm not sure. Not like I live there anyway.

But nowadays, you won't be seeing any subbed or dubbed anime (except for Megaman which has an uncut English dub...) on Pearl as they've moved most of their anime programming to another subsidiary station "J2". And from what I was told, Dragon Ball Z was usually aired on TVB's main station, TVB-Jade dubbed in Cantonese. Pearl would get the Japanese version with the Chinese/English subtitles. Last year, TVB made a big deal over the re-airing of "Sailor Moon". It was uncut, dubbed in Cantonese but they replaced the theme song due to their on-going war with Universal Music Group. Blech...

As for my own experience with fansubs and VHS stuff, I live in the Chinese community so I would occasionally buy recorded VHS tapes of the movies dubbed in Cantonese. But most of my resources came through renting out Chinese subbed (or dubbed) VHS of "Dragon Ball". They were professionally done and would contain none of these "messages" on the English fansubs. And they had every single episode subbed in Chinese. I also rented (or rather "borrow") for free since I knew one of the pretty ladies that worked there. They even gave me a huge garbage bag full of Japanese Shonen Jump magazines. I don't know what I've done to those mags, though. Most of them had the Buu arc stuff.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed May 25, 2011 2:30 am

This was such a fascinating, nostalgic conversation. X3
I can actually recall overhearing people at school talking about fansub tapes, but I never knew where they got them; it's interesting to hear how people went about making them and how you went about buying them.
I eventually did see fansubs (mostly Buu arc and GT) a couple years after that conversation though.

I'm several years younger than you guys, but I still know exactly what you mean by how fresh everything felt, and the differences between how things are now vs back in the late 90's in terms of anime and that magical feeling of how mysterious stuff was. I remember Nintendo Power having this kind of "pictures of merchandise from Japan" page and how I would be in awe of it each month. You can really appreciate the internet for how it is now knowing and living in a time before it was commonplace to such an immense extent. I mean, I can visit the Daizex forums on my cellphone now! That is so mind-boggling when I think about my old 56k modem and how the only mildly-fast computers around were the ones in the high school library.
I didn't even have a cellphone in high school. My Mom had this clunky black one with the screen equal to that of a calculator and it had an antenna that stuck out the side! (And could retract, I think?) How far technology has come in the past 8 years alone is incredible.

I think my last, really fresh, wide-eyed moment was going to the Kinokuniya in NYC for the first time (in 2003? 2004?) and seeing all those kanzenban lined up in a row, buying the 34th volume, and on the ride home opening it up to discover "OMG there's a brand new alternate ending in here!?". That was an amazing feeling; learning something like that all on my own with absolutely no aid from the internet. Don't get me wrong, I love the internet, but this was a kind of elusive type of discovery that to me seems reserved exclusively for my younger self in the older world.

Not too surprised that there wasn't any DB news this week. I've totally lost my optimism that there will be any new, exciting news coming about now that this 2nd wind is over. We'll get videogames at the end of the year like we've been, and there will be blips of new DBO plot popping up every once in a while, but I don't think there'll be anything so amazing and surprising it'll knock my socks off. (Which is sad, because I would love for there to be so.)

Xell
Beyond Newbie

Post by Xell » Wed May 25, 2011 7:57 pm

Anime Labs made my 9 year old self feel so mature with all the cuss words they'd put in their subtitles! I always get all nostalgic for the old grainy, fuzzy Dragon Ball Z VHS footage.

I love this subject. Keep up the good work guys.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed May 25, 2011 8:30 pm

Speaking of fansub dialogue, the idea that Janenba was originally a mob kingpin or something comes from inaccurate fansubs, right? That might be something to toss into the fansub dialogue page.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 25, 2011 8:56 pm

Herms wrote:Speaking of fansub dialogue, the idea that Janenba was originally a mob kingpin or something comes from inaccurate fansubs, right? That might be something to toss into the fansub dialogue page.
I think so. Unfortunately, the fansub of movies 11 & 12 that I mentioned during the show were "borrowed" during college (along with my PS1 copy of Street Fighter Alpha 3) and was never seen again.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed May 25, 2011 9:09 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I think so. Unfortunately, the fansub of movies 11 & 12 that I mentioned during the show were "borrowed" during college (along with my PS1 copy of Street Fighter Alpha 3) and was never seen again.
Rats, that sucks. I know Buu's Fury uses the "mob kingpin" backstory, and the game later lifts the "I am the instrument of your destruction" fansub line, so I'm thinking they probably got that backstory from fansubs too.

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Thu May 26, 2011 3:09 pm

This is such a blast to the past. Did they ever take jabs at Pandora's Cube in College Park? That store was bootlegging things forever. I remember the first few things I got were from a friend... I think movies 10 and 12? 12 was the newest thing ever at the time I think. It was a huge compilation tape in EP, including that stuff plus the Darkstalkers OAV. I still have it somewhere.

A lot of the GT was raw that I ever saw... the tape I have of that is missing an episode, too, just like mentioned on the podcast. :)

A lot of the Cell stuff, and just a bunch in general, I had looked like this:

One of the better fansubs I had gotten through SASE was the Anime Crisis version of DB movie 4. It was actually in great quality -- I assume from an SVHS dupe -- and the subs weren't crazy bad. I always loved the jab on the end of this one, with LD rot and the La Blue Girl curse.

The copies I have somewhere of the end of Z have all of the commercials, especially the Japanese Ronald McDonald ones. And the SUPER DBZ ACTION WRITING DESK commercial or whatever it was is on one of those tapes as well.

Speaking of foreign dubs, I remember the first time I ever saw the full episodes 1-3 of DBZ was a spanish dub. All I remember is Gohan runs around crying 'MI SOMBRERO!!!' for the whole episode, so my friends at school and I would refer to it as the Mi Sombrero dub.

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Fri May 27, 2011 9:45 am

I had to figure out WHAT my old login information for the board was because I had to come back and comment on this awesome episode! Thanks, Mike and Meri, for helping me travel back in time!

My first exposure to Dragon Ball was when I was in fourth grade (which puts it around '93 or '94) and I had a friend across the street who was a year older than me. He had a teenage brother at the time who we thought was awesome, who had a group of friends who were always bringing over cool import games and things that blew my mind. One of his friends brought over a VHS tape of a show called "Dragon Ball Z" and it had a really elaborate clamshell cover... It had nice, hand-drawn(!) art on it and some kind of description on the back in what I THINK was Japanese. We watched it, and I don't recall if it was subtitled or not, but it was the beginning of the Cell Games (which I guess would make it a pretty recent episode looking back) and I was completely blown away by it.

Said friend later turned into a little douche and wouldn't let me come over to watch Dragon Ball anymore, saying that I "copied him" too much and Dragon Ball was "his thing."

A few years later I had friends who had subtitled tapes, but growing up in Sacramento there weren't really any places (at least that I knew of) to buy tapes. As the internet was gaining steam and eBay started to gain in noteriety, their parents would let them buy tapes that way, but unfortunatley my folks didn't trust it so I was left out. Still, any time one of them got a new tape we'd all get together and watch it, and the episodes were all out of order naturally.

I discovered that the International Channel was showing Dragon Ball Z in Japanese (I was never a fan of the dub, which was new at that point) so I would watch that each Sunday. I had a loose idea of who the characters were but the plot made no sense. Everything I had seen previously had Vegeta as a "good guy" so when I saw him and Nappa flying around I assumed that Nappa was a good guy too. HAH.

Fast forward a couple of years and the advent of sites like Planet Namek, Temple O' Trunks and of course Vegetto EX's Home Page and I grew into the informed fan I am today. :)

NeverRamza
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NeverRamza » Sat May 28, 2011 12:48 pm

Anime Crisis, mentioned above, was involved in a pretty big fiasco that almost no one remembers. They were theoretically an anime club, based somewhere in or near Las Vegas. A few of the movies found their way to the internet but that's about it. A very long time ago, possibly around 1996 or so, back before DBZ started airing on US television and no significant portions of the series were subtitled in their entirety (save NGN, no one knew about Pearl at this time), the group put up a webpage stating that they had subtitled something like episodes 105 through 199 (or so). In order to obtain these tapes, you had to put in a preorder for the entire thing because they refused to do sell individual tapes and they were only going to do it in one go. I believe the preorder about was something wild around $200 or so. Well, tons of people from all sides of the internet ordered this set and Anime Crisis never sent out a thing, making out with thousands of ripped off dollars. People were pissed off about this for years.

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Sat May 28, 2011 4:23 pm

This was a really awesome and fun listen :) Just downloaded every Podcast Episode from iTunes. :)

ShadowDude112

Post by ShadowDude112 » Sat May 28, 2011 5:20 pm

NeverRamza wrote:Anime Crisis, mentioned above, was involved in a pretty big fiasco that almost no one remembers. They were theoretically an anime club, based somewhere in or near Las Vegas. A few of the movies found their way to the internet but that's about it. A very long time ago, possibly around 1996 or so, back before DBZ started airing on US television and no significant portions of the series were subtitled in their entirety (save NGN, no one knew about Pearl at this time), the group put up a webpage stating that they had subtitled something like episodes 105 through 199 (or so). In order to obtain these tapes, you had to put in a preorder for the entire thing because they refused to do sell individual tapes and they were only going to do it in one go. I believe the preorder about was something wild around $200 or so. Well, tons of people from all sides of the internet ordered this set and Anime Crisis never sent out a thing, making out with thousands of ripped off dollars. People were pissed off about this for years.
Sounds a lot like what a certain member here did to other members when they sent their rare Dragon Ball dubs/VHS recordings to him and he didn't hold his end of the bargain. Damn shame what some people on the internet do. Anyways, I never watched VHS fan subs but I did watch some fan subs of Kai (I have since stopped doing that and support the releases.) I was surprised some of them used dub names and such. But, the quality of some I saw were really good. Some, not so much.

Sun-Wukong
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sun-Wukong » Sun May 29, 2011 12:27 pm

I've always been curious about the history of fansubbing, so my eyes lit up when I saw the topic for the latest podcast. Then you say it's all you'll be talking about for the episode, and now I need to change pants.

The whole situation was a little before my time, and I was content to watch the newest episodes as they came on Toonami. I do remember hearing part of a conversation between my older brothers about Movie 13 and wondering how all of it was going to figure into the series later on, not realizing it was a movie. Also, my brother telling me about Majin Buu before the Cell Games had even started in America.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Sun May 29, 2011 1:04 pm

Sun-Wukong wrote: Also, my brother telling me about Majin Buu before the Cell Games had even started in America.
I had a similar situation to that, except it was my dad who told me. Apparently he saw some Boo arc episodes on the International Channel raw while he was on a business trip in LA.

nathantheguitarist

Post by nathantheguitarist » Sun May 29, 2011 1:27 pm

Something I'd like clarification on: Was the Freeza saga tape with Goku's Super Saiyan transformation out before those episodes aired first on Cartoon Network?

If not, then my only experience with fansubs was someone telling me they saw it on tape already (in 1998 or so?). The kid might have said something about it being in Japanese, but I'm going to doubt that. But I had pretty much everything spoiled to me already by kids who'd seen most of it in Spanish already. And then later I had a friend with a computer, and raw clips downloaded on dial-up. 8)

Nevertheless, I highly enjoyed this episode. I wish I was old enough to think about getting the show on fansubbed tapes back in the day, but I was uninformed, young, and happy with whatever was airing.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun May 29, 2011 1:35 pm

nathantheguitarist wrote:Something I'd like clarification on: Was the Freeza saga tape with Goku's Super Saiyan transformation out before those episodes aired first on Cartoon Network?
Yep. If I didn't make it clear enough in the show (and I guess not, since we jumped around a bit), my first fansubs were indeed Goku's SSJ transformation, which I got in late 1997 after seasons 1 and 2 began their eternal repeats, and before the show's move to Cartoon Network. That episode would not come out from FUNimation until 1999 when "Season 3" began airing on Toonami and also via the edited/uncut dub-only official VHS release.

And they had been floating around long before I got them, too.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Tue May 31, 2011 1:50 am

Very interesting listen. I never got into the world of fansubs, as it was the official FUNimation DVDs that actually kickstarted my love of the Japanese version.

However, I do remember seeing shit quality clips on the Internet of various, far off Z and GT episodes while the first two "seasons" of Z were airing. I vividly remember the yellow, anime-labs subtitles on those clips.