Episode #0267 (07 August 2011)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0267 (07 August 2011)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:01 pm

Episode #0267 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes)
70:41; 96 kbps, mono; 48.8 MB

Episode #0267! VegettoEX and Julian discuss the past couple weeks worth of news and answer a great batch of listener questions. Meri joins in to talk about Otakon 2011, and Marc joins in to talk about the results of the summer convention season and a few updates related to FUNimation's recent announcement of the DBZ TV series coming to Blu-ray. Referenced sites:
Back from the convention with a wealth of discussions to share about all sorts of things. Definitely a well-rounded episode with stuff for everyone :).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Re: Episode #0267 (07 August 2011)

Post by Drabaz » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:04 pm

*Listening*

Stop talking about that damn table at the dealers room! Still pissed that I completely missed it! Big Oozaru?! Are you kidding me!? There's always next year, right? :cry:

"I don't wanna be that guy that stops the flow of traffic."

I'll be that guy!

These next 2 shots, my camera started freakin' out on me and wouldn't open all the way.

Last edited by Drabaz on Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:31 pm

Hooray for the triumphant return of Julian and his MST3K reference!

Great podcast this week. Perfect length and content heavy, I was surprised it was actually over an hour.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:38 pm

That guy's table will go down in Otakon history. Every table I encounter at Otakon from now on will always be compared to that guy's table.

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:42 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:That guy's table will go down in Otakon history. Every table I encounter at Otakon from now on will always be compared to that guy's table.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:16 am

It's starting to feel like we're more likely to get another new Jump Tour special before Funi is able to secure the rights to dub and release the 2008 one. @_@

That Gogeta figure does make me smile. X3
There used to be several semi-local stores near me that stocked DB knickknacks; but they've all either since closed or stopped carrying foreign stuff in favor of Marvel and DC. If I want something DB-related from Japan that isn't a book, I have to turn to the internet.

How badly I want those first three arcs of the Sailor Moon anime; Sailor Moon was my gateway anime. I know the manga is being released, but I don't have any nostalgia for that; I have nostalgia for the anime. (Also, I like the anime's art style better than the manga. And while I know this is going to sound cliché, I kind of like the anime's monster-of-the-week formula when it comes to Sailor Moon.)

Please put out a "Sailor Boxes", Funi! I will buy them.

I've bought a good chunk of the Z singles back when they came out, I fell for it again with the Ultimate Uncuts, I side-stepped the Orange Bricks waiting for something better and got it with the Dragon Boxes of which I have only one more to complete the set. Kai I never bothered with buying; TFS is my preferred form of shortened DBZ. That said, I don't own a blu-ray player which makes these new sets doubly meaningless for me. I will, however, peek in the thread from time to time as I am curious about how this whole transfer thing will go.

Also, I noticed the weird juxtaposition of Season 3 Funi dub speech against directly romanized series title and kind of assumed it was a placeholder image while they get the real cover ready. It's unusual, but that sort of thing never really bothers me because back in the day I was so used to seeing so many different spellings--mostly when it came to character names.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:29 am

These talkings of Otakon awesomeness makes me wish I could go to these conventions. But the new Blu-Ray info is intriguing. Did Franko and his team create a 4:3 Master as a base for the Orange Bricks? I think they did, and that's why his name was dropped in the first press release, because they had to.

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:29 am

I've only listened to the BR segment, but I'm glad you guys mentioned being a little bit overzealous in the last podcast about the whole Bluray thing, and that it's really too early to say anything about the video shown at Otakon. I also give Marc props for bringing up all of Funimation's home video practices as a whole and not just focusing on their treatment of DB.

I will say that their 'whole new team' are probably the same people who have done their SD remasters, just working on film cleanup this time instead of upscaling SD video.
Last edited by Ashura on Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:51 am

Excuse the large image.

I guess that thing at the bottom is what you were talking about at the end...!! Thank God they didn't use it for the Dragon Box.

Also note the heroic speech of SuperGoku at the top...!! I guess that means no redub.

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:28 pm

"Steve Franko in a wig" sounds like a DBZ-ified version of "a wolf in sheep's clothing."