Episode #0274 (09 October 2011)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Re: Episode #0274 (09 October 2011)

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:38 pm

Zestanor wrote:I had a feeling GT was next. But you should call it the "GT Review of Mediocrity."
I HOPE MY BODY'S READY.
I did a very mediocre job on this logo.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:29 pm

It will be a pretty boring review if they just go into it already having made up their minds that GT is mediocre.

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:48 pm

Herms wrote:It will be a pretty boring review if they just go into it already having made up their minds that GT is mediocre.
Jeff is really the only one who needs to give the show a fair chance. As long as Mike, Meri, and Julian have been with the fandom, it probably had its fair chance with them years ago. I can't blame them if they've made up their minds by now.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:58 pm

Herms wrote:It will be a pretty boring review if they just go into it already having made up their minds that GT is mediocre.
To be fair, they did go into it having already made up their minds that the manga is awesome, so maybe just "GT Review of" would be a better title.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:31 pm

How about calling it the, "GT Review of Uncertainty?"
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:34 pm

Mike stated on IRC a few days back that he never watched through the entirety of GT.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:50 pm

Puto wrote:Mike stated on IRC a few days back that he never watched through the entirety of GT.
Yup.

The other thing to watch out for is that GT is the sort of thing you'd likely watch once and then put down for long periods of time; I'd be almost certain if I watched GT again (Haven't since the Toonami dub airing) that I'd have new things to say as well.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:26 am

You know you've been away from DaizEX from too long when you find out that Julian's had a child..... A very belated congratulations from me.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:03 am

Why not call it "GT Review of Awesomeness"? The "awesomeness" could refer to the fact that they'll be doing an "awesome" review of GT, whether or not it's a mediocre series.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:09 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Why not call it "GT Review of Awesomeness"? The "awesomeness" could refer to the fact that they'll be doing an "awesome" review of GT, whether or not it's a mediocre series.
Doesn't it already mean that?
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I always like to equate him to Gogeta, who people suggest demonstrates two totally different personalities with his appearances in Movie 12 and GT. While it is true, most people seem to assume the writers just don't know what they are doing and just changed his personality because they wanted to, but that doesn't really seem to be the case.
Some people are like that. I recall how this debate came up a while back on another forum, where I was arguing, what you are arguing and the opposition refused to accept the points I brought up and stuck with their "GT ruined Gogeta" approach.

Kuhan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kuhan » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:30 am

jda95 wrote:You know you've been away from DaizEX from too long when you find out that Julian's had a child..... A very belated congratulations from me.
And you know you've been with it too long when you realize that child's a year and 4 months old and you could've sworn it was more like... 4 months...

mikezilla2
Beyond Newbie

Post by mikezilla2 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:33 am

What the hell is the revised Kanzenban ending?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:46 am

We described it in full on the show. Was there something you didn't understand?

When the kanzenban release came to a close in 2004 over in Japan, the last four pages (and a tiny bit before that, but it's almost negligible) were re-drawn and re-scripted by Akira Toriyama. There is more of a focus put on the "passing of the torch", so to speak, from Goku to Uub.

I didn't link it when I first posted the episode (my bad), but here's the comparison on our site.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

mikezilla2
Beyond Newbie

Post by mikezilla2 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:54 am

haven't gotten around to watching the latest 2 episodes from the podcast.

cheers for the link

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:53 pm

johnboy1 wrote:I hope I'm not too late to suggest this, guys, but it might make more sense to do episodes 1-6 of GT for the first GTRoA. While the series doesn't have a well-known simple division like the 42 volumes of the manga, it does have a "volume system" in the form of the Japanese DBox singles. In those, it was split into eleven volumes, with the first nine being six episodes apiece and the last two being five apiece. In other words,

< snip >
Just noticed this post. While I appreciate the suggestion, I'd wager very few people will be following along with the R2s, so I'm not TOO concerned with that. Additionally, if I do just a random spot-check of episodes, the Super 17 arc takes place from episodes 41-47 (well, 42... but I'll figure out what to do with that great, one-off Tenkaichi Budokai episode later)... and then if you consult the R2s, that splits the arc between two discs. There's no reason NOT to contain the entire arc in one episode's review, so that alone breaks down the possibility of just following the R2s.

Also, dunno what I was thinking when I said the first "Lost Episodes" disc had five episodes. Of course it only has three. Dur. Doesn't really change much -- we'll still start with just the first five episodes.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:34 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:Why not call it "GT Review of Awesomeness"? The "awesomeness" could refer to the fact that they'll be doing an "awesome" review of GT, whether or not it's a mediocre series.
Doesn't it already mean that?
Yeah, I meant to say that, but maybe it was a poor choice of words. I would assume it already means that, but people here are acting like it doesn't.

Super Vejito

Post by Super Vejito » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:16 am

Make sure to play the gazillion variations of GT's OP in the podcast, they were pretty awesome. Did GT ever end up having an OST released?

It's sort of implied that Vejito was pissing Buu off on purpose, though at the same time he didn't really need to be cocky if all he wanted was to get absorbed. It's what Buu does to everyone he can't beat, so he would try for it eventually. Other than not finishing Buu off on purpose, Vejito being lighthearted and arrogant about it doesn't seem out of character when you consider who he is a fusion of. It's hard to compare him to Gogeta for me because he isn't canon, but the way it struck me as a kid I'd say that Vejito acts more like Vegeta while he looks more like Goku and that it's the opposite for Gogeta with his more serious nature. Not sure if they tried for that, but I like to think they tried to differentiate them somewhat. All in all there's not a whole lot to base this discussion around and I wish we'd have seen more of Vejito. At the same time only seeing a glimpse of his awesomeness does add to the character. *shrug*

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:17 pm

Deliberately toying around with someone and being cocky kind of goes hand-in-hand. Vegetto was just trying to further prove his overwhelming superiority to Boo, so much so that he'd be forced to absorb him to win.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:29 am

I'm surprised no one has commented on the Boo "logic" yet.

The reason we don't see any of the previous Kaioshin, theories about being fully absorbed aside, is because, as Jeff said, they'd be in the remaining fat Boo. He's the original Boo; he's the one who absorbed them. The second, skinny Boo, the one who eventually absorbs the fat Boo, Gohan and the others, was simply excised by the original fat Boo. Why would he take the absorbed Kaioshin with him? So they've either been fully absorbed into fat Boo or they're still kicking around in there, but they wouldn't be in the body of the second Boo with Gohan and co.

Lord, that was more confusing-sounding than I thought it would be.

As for the reversion to the original, child-like Boo, my favorite explanation I've heard is that by removing the fat Boo, who still has all the Kaioshin influence in him, the second Boo loses all connection to the previously absorbed Kaioshin and reverts to his original form. The skinny Boo was an expulsion of the fat Boo who still had all that Kaioshin influence. The muscular "super" Boo obviously retained that by absorbing fat Boo. When they remove fat Boo, that's the first time the second Boo has absolutely no connection to the Kaioshin, or any absorbees, anymore. And so he goes back to blank slate mode.

It sounds complicated, but honestly, it's the kind of basic logic -- the "Well, all of those previous absorbed guys are gone now, so why not?" style of thinking -- that I can actually see Toriyama having in mind when he pulled that stunt.

Also, really looking forward to the GT review, as I'm a huge fan of the series. It does reference several anime-only plot points though. The Tsufuru-Saiyan conflict, the sacred water originally used in the Garlic Jr. arc, the entire anime-interpretation of Hell, etc. I can't help but wonder if Jeff will notice or question those. You'll definitely want to clue him in.
Last edited by Cipher on Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:19 am

Cipher wrote:I'm surprised no one has commented on the Boo "logic" yet.
What you wrote is pretty much how I see it. The only problem I have is Mr. Buu co existing with the original unaltered Buu.