Episode #0285 (15 January 2012)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Re: Episode #0285 (15 January 2012)

Post by Attitudefan » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:46 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
SHINOBI-03 wrote:I've read somewhere that Blue's actions are based on a German/Nazi stereotype, anyone care to elaborate on this?
I think I've read somewhere that General Blue's appearance and uniform was based on the features of the Aryan race and the Nazi uniform respectively, but also that Ernst Rohm, leader of the SS (correct me if I'm wrong), was homosexual.
I didn't know that. Kinda against the Nazi code eh?

Anyways, I thought the whole Red Ribbon was a play off of the Nazi's? That scene with Blue freaked me out! I couldn't believe that was in there!

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:37 pm

Attitudefan wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:I think I've read somewhere that General Blue's appearance and uniform was based on the features of the Aryan race and the Nazi uniform respectively, but also that Ernst Rohm, leader of the SS (correct me if I'm wrong), was homosexual.
I didn't know that. Kinda against the Nazi code eh?

Anyways, I thought the whole Red Ribbon was a play off of the Nazi's? That scene with Blue freaked me out! I couldn't believe that was in there!
Yeah, I believe that was part of the reason Hitler had him killed, but it was mainly that he saw him as a potential rival. But it goes deeper than that.

I don't think that the entire Red Ribbon Army was a play on the Nazis. Yes, they're an evil criminal organization, but apart from that, there aren't really any similarities between them.

EDIT: After looking on Wikipedia, it turns out that Ernst Rohm was the leader of the SA, not the SS (which came afterwards).

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:25 pm

Interesting.

I'd say the Red Ribbon Army had uniforms similar to the Nazis. The had the armband and that Red Logo (even though it looks completely different) And the overall colours seem similar to me... but then again, it just may be me who sees this lol.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:40 pm

Attitudefan wrote:Interesting.

I'd say the Red Ribbon Army had uniforms similar to the Nazis. The had the armband and that Red Logo (even though it looks completely different) And the overall colours seem similar to me... but then again, it just may be me who sees this lol.
I see your point, but I only ever thought that General Blue bore similarities to the Nazis.

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:05 am

Anime is littered with organizations which are meant to vaguely portray or parody nazi-ism, and Red Ribbon is definitely one of 'em.

I remember I had a poster of Wufei from Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz on my wall as a kid, and my mom flipped out and thought I had put up a nazi poster.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm

Ashura wrote:Anime is littered with organizations which are meant to vaguely portray or parody nazi-ism, and Red Ribbon is definitely one of 'em.

I remember I had a poster of Wufei from Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz on my wall as a kid, and my mom flipped out and thought I had put up a nazi poster.
Really? Huh. I didn't know that. I wonder why that is.

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:23 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Attitudefan wrote:Interesting.

I see your point, but I only ever thought that General Blue bore similarities to the Nazis.
Yeah, the RR seems like a mish-mash of a lot of evil organizations.

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:39 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Really? Huh. I didn't know that. I wonder why that is.
The uniform Wufei wears in part of the movie looks eerily similar to a Hitler Youth uniform.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:17 am

Ashura wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:Really? Huh. I didn't know that. I wonder why that is.
The uniform Wufei wears in part of the movie looks eerily similar to a Hitler Youth uniform.
No, I mean, I wonder why anime's littered with organizations meant to vaguely portray or parody Nazism.

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:39 pm

Same reason why Indiana Jones had actual nazis in it... they make easy badguys. :) Or so people thought. Steven Spielberg thought twice about this after Schindler's List.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:17 am

Ashura wrote:Same reason why Indiana Jones had actual nazis in it... they make easy badguys. :) Or so people thought. Steven Spielberg thought twice about this after Schindler's List.
Oh yeah. And I haven't seen Schindler's List.