Episode #0290 (26 February 2012)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0290 (26 February 2012)

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:14 pm

Episode #0290 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes)
66:23; 96 kbps, mono; 45.9 MB

Episode #0290! VegettoEX, Meri, and Hujio dive into some more crazy Kinect news before covering the March 2012 "Saikyo Jump" bonus DVD. Especially at such a cheap price, just how does this package fare? We then turn it over to an extravaganza of your listener questions! Everything from favorite story arcs, to the spark that defines Toriyama's writing, to abandoned characters is covered, along with less important items such as the Official Daizenshuu EX Band. Referenced sites:
Gets a little wacky around the half-hour mark with some of your questions (hey, you're the ones who wanted to know!), but we come around again with some awesome stuff. Enjoy!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Re: Episode #0290 (26 February 2012)

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:08 am

Woah! I got a little impromptu shout-out. Guess that makes me the guy-who-really-wants-the-daizex-wiki.... Get that donation pool you were talking about started. I'd def contribute a fair share.

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:17 am

My first reaction to reading the question on Facebook about "Which character do you think changed most in appearance and attitude in Dragon Ball GT" was Goten but then I realized that he loved to date girls at the end of Dragon Ball Z so my answer was Trunks. While his appearance didn't change at all his attitude changed. He went from being that bratty little kid in Dragon Ball Z to being a babysitter in Dragon Ball GT and the CEO of Capsule Corp.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:48 am

I do remember Vegeta won that poll that Viz's Shonen Jump held, but I'm not sure by how much.

EDIT: Found it. Viz's Poll Results were:
5503 Vegeta
5225 Goku
4510 Gohan
3681 Trunks
2162 Piccolo

I also have the one from the Japanese DB Forever guidebook:
6235 Goku
2527 Vegeta
2131 Gohan
1487 Trunks
1176 Piccolo

So while it's the same group of characters, the margin between first place and those below is a lot wider in Japan.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:20 am

Will there be an opening song change for episode 292? If so will it be 'Premonition of a Grand Adventure' from Kai or the 'Dan, Dan' instrumental?

SongOfStorms125

Post by SongOfStorms125 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:32 am

Great episode as always, it’s been a day since I listened to the podcast but I remembered you guys discussed episode 291 and the GT next episode preview attached.
Since getting the dragon boxes I have grown to love the next episode previews.

Mike, may sound like a bit of an odd idea but since your focusing on the anime, what about the possibility of including the audio from the next episode previews as part of the GT review of awesomeness episodes.
So for example you’re first GT review was for episodes one-five so you could play the audio of the NEP that goes along with episode five to set up episode six at the end of the podcast or discussion to set up your next discussion, just an idea.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:44 pm

VegettoEX wrote:You know the built in DVD Maker on Windows 7? The used that.
As some who actually uses Windows DVD Maker, it's pretty much as "you get out what you put in" as anything else. It does make me want a screen cap of the menu, though, just to be sure. If they were using it I'd know! :lol:

But then again, whenever I use low res sources with it, I make 10 MBps, 440 kbps copies of them before in a vain attempt to make them look a little better before processing, so there's a good chance I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I can understand upscaling the streaming files, but I'm with you on Plan to Eradicate's sound; mono, in 2012, on an originally stereo, HD (Not that the latter has anything to do with it, but...) animation? Who dun goofed?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:06 pm

On the note of 'What would you like to see Dragon Ball cross over with' thing, I had to laugh at the idea of Yajirobe showing up in the Rurouni Kenshin universe. Done right that could be hilarious, especially if it was a true collab between Toriyama and Watsuki, as Watsuki is one of my other three favorite manga author's.

My vote though, would go to something we've kind of had before with another of my favorites - I'd love something else from Toriyama and Katsura, only instead of an original story, some kind of humorous parody thing full of characters from respective series's they've done. Kinda like Cross Epoch, only with DB/Dr. Slump/Sandland/I"s/Video Girl Ai/Zetman - that kinda thing.

Though how that could ever, possibly, in any way, work...is beyond me.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:53 am

The "what would you cross Dragonball with" conversation was interesting for the revelations made about long lost crossover fanfics written by the hosts :lol: Oh, if only these existed on the Internet.

I thought it was kind of funny that all of the possible crossovers brought up were series from the 90s (Ranma, Rurouni Kenshin, Tenchi Muyo...) What, you wouldn't want to cross DB with generic-new-series-where-everyone-looks-like-a-preteen?

The answer I came up with for a crossover (after pushing aside "yeah, it's been done" One Piece) was Soul Eater. No idea what kind of plot it would have, but I'm sure it'd lead to a hell of a lot of fun character interactions.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:28 am

Well, AnnouncerGuy drew a picture that portrayed what a crossover between DB and Cromartie High School might look like.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:00 pm

Actually, thinking of it more on an anime point of view instead of just manga...I dunno how it would work either, but I could probably get behind a Dragon Ball/Digimon crossover by Toei as well.