Episode #0309 (26 August 2012)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0309 (26 August 2012)

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:35 pm

Episode #0309 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version)
57:06; 96 kbps, mono; 39.4 MB

Episode #0309! VegettoEX and Hujio discuss the collector's mentality. Why do we collect all this Dragon Ball stuff? How have our habits changed over time, if at all? Does the rest of fandom feel the same way we do, or does everything from geographic region to length of fandom come into play? News updates and more of your questions round out the episode! Referenced sites:
Enjoy!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

samuraix123
I Live Here

Re: Episode #0309 (26 August 2012)

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:14 pm

VegettoEX when I try to download it, it keeps saying cannot complete this process at this time try again later. Do you know a way I can fix this?

Edit - Never mind it's working now :D

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:36 pm

Although I'm not an avid collector myself, I am on the hunt for Dragon Box 2. Maybe its the hidden nerd rage inside me, but its annoying to have Vol. 1,3-7 with that glaring hole of what should be 2. It's funny you mention how spending can be ridiculous over time because the amount I was willing to spend on it has gone up substantially over time. First around $80, then over $100, now over $200. Unfortunately, it seems I'm too late and there isn't any left other than the $700+ on Amazon.

To be honest, It's not like I am in love with those episodes or anything, the only reason why I search high and low for it is to complete my collection. So I guess my collecting habit is more out of some OCD-like urge than actual desire.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:04 am

"I buy what I like on a case by case basis."

I'm the same as this. However, I like everything, so it ends up the same as impulse buying.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:19 am

I think you called Scarz a "he".
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:20 am

With most Japanese franchises, both in response to my reaction to Pokemon stuffage in my younger days and desire not to dig myself too deep a hole into the stuff, I stick almost entirely to a "No merchandise beyond the obvious" mentality. Which in Dragon Ball's case amounts to DVDs and the occasional video game (I think the only series I own more than one game in is Legacy of Goku- that's just how it turned out). A video game art book currently stands as the one exception that wasn't a gift.
Last edited by BlazingFiddlesticks on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:04 am

Things that are cool, like I want the new Perfect Cell figure that's cool. I would've totally bought the Kai sets if they didn't replace the score.

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:38 am

Just to clarify:
I own the NORWEGIAN manga, and the US anime episodes and movies.
Just saying.
BTW, I`m John-Edvard.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:47 pm

I've amassed a pretty good size DB-related book collection over the course of the 12 years I've been into the series. That's my big thing. I've got the Funi DBoxes and a handful of singles along with a small number of figures, but lately there just hasn't been much out there that's interested me enough to buy, DB or other anime/manga series-wise.

I'm actually kind of glad that in general I'm far less of an impulse-shopper online than I am when I'm in a store, because I'd probably have a lot more stuff otherwise. >_>
When I'm online, I will endlessly inwardly debate with myself whether or not to buy something because I know I could go buy it any time I wanted (theoretically) and is it really worth it after all, but when I'm in a physical store, it's crunch time. You're only in that physical storefront for a small chunk of that day and it takes time and gas to get to that store, plus the item may not be there next time you go, so....

The biggest difference; for months I oogled this amazing shirt on RightStuf, but couldn't bother to buy it. Not only have I never ordered from RightStuf before, but the shirt's availability fluctuated like crazy. I happened to see it in a shop at the mall this past spring from a ridiculous distance away, turned around, went into the store and bought it. Not only was it the only one in the store, it was also my size.

I am so happy that I own this, and I don't even typically buy DB-shirts.

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:36 pm

I'm a manga collector, but I don't exactly go overboard (no matter how much I'd like to!). I guess I mean that I get as much as I can as long as there's not too much overlap.

I have every Toriyama manga volume that's available in English and Japanese (DB, Slump, One-shots, etc), and some art books like a few volumes of the Daizenshuu, Tocchio the Angel, and Toriyama The World Special. However I just own the (original) Tankobon editions of the manga. I have the itch that makes me want to collect the Kanzenban, but haven't succumbed yet, mostly due to financial limitations, but also maybe a little bit of common sense :P But boy, when I first found out about the Kanzenban I was like like, "Oh...new covers, wow! WAIT -- A NEW SPINE ILLUSTRATION!?! Now I really want it!" It's funny what sets us off, ha ha!

I started collecting the VizBigs and while I felt a little silly collecting the series for a 3rd time, I justified it by telling myself the quality was better and the color pages were a big thing. THEN when I realized that not ALL of the color pages were reprinted in color in each edition (plus noticing some censorship) I decided to drop them. I only have the first 2 volumes of both VizBig DB & DBZ. I've got a few Daizenshuu, which reprints the color pages so I figured I was good there.

So the big hole in my collection are all of Toriyama's uncollected one-shots. I bought the recent 2-volume One-shot collections, which had quite a bit of overlap with the Toriyama Theater books, but they had some new stuff so I bought them immediately. The next step I guess would be tracking down Jumps on ebay or something, I suppose. But, again, it just doesn't fit into my budget to be hunting those down at the moment.

I guess my philosophy is that what I'm most interested in are the products of Toriyama literally putting his pen to paper and creating something. I like the DB & Slump anime, and figures and stuff are neat, but it's the Toriyama manga and artwork that I really pursue. That's why I haven't tracked down Naho Oishi's work, and why the first two volumes of the Daizenshuu were the ones I wanted the most, and things like that.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:14 pm

I'm not actually collector outside owning the actual series (which in this case happens to be a DVD collection; still don't have the entire manga).

Within that, I suppose I can get a little hoarder-ish, as I think most people here can identify with wanting to own the best version, and double-dipped content doesn't always get given away immediately, or sometimes ever.

However, I've never had any desire to suddenly start picking up figures, clothing, etc. (not counting some Dragon Ball action figures I played with as a kid). I do own a video-game or two because, I can't lie, I do enjoy playing some fan-service heavy games when I have time. But I don't feel a collector mentality or obligation to buy those, and Tenkaichi 3 is as recent a title as I have.

That's how I am with just about any franchise I follow (which I'd say is about four, including this one). I like the story content; I want to own the story content so I can watch/read it at my leisure. Everything else, I miiiiiight consider, but only in rare cases. Original art, production materials, that sort of thing might be worth having, but it hasn't happened yet, and I doubt I'll ever chase them down.

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:20 pm

All I've really "collected" were the US Dragon Boxes (and whatever future boxes get released) and the Viz Big manga.

Oh, and figures. Figures are nice.

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:39 pm

When I was younger, I used to buy lots of dumb Dragonball stuff from eBay, including Dragonball school kits, Dragonball pyjamas, Dragonball socks, Dragonball curtains, etc...

Now I have 3 pairs of Dragonball socks (aged 3-4) stuffed in my drawers that I don't know what to do with, and have never known what to do with. -_-

So, umm... does anyone want some Dragonball socks? Anyone got a kid of 3-4 years that likes Dragonball and needs some socks? =D

Now that I'm older, it's just high-quality toys for me.

Sun-Wukong
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sun-Wukong » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:35 am

When Mike clarified which panties he was referring to, anyone get a funny mental image of Bulma's crotch covered by a sandwich?

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:35 pm

My tweet got mentioned! :D

Basically all I care about at this point is the animation and the manga. I've collected the odd figure in the past, but they've never really been things I've actively searched for. At this point in the game, I'm also running out of space to put things, so figures are out of the question. I think I'm good with just DVDs and books from now on.

As for video games: I've really lost interest, and I'm a huge gamer. They really dropped the ball with DB games this gen. Budokai 3 has yet to be topped, and the novelty of playing as Freeza Soldier A in the Sparking! games has worn thin. Although I am interested in the retro DB games I missed. I'll probably start collecting those someday... :?

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:17 pm

Oh, god, i sent that tweet, and today:
The first three voulmes of the Norwegian Animanga plus Sandland.

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:52 pm

I missed this podcast and just listened to it.

Ironically, I bought a new DVD shelf for my Dragon Ball DVD's that I had been thinking about buying for about 6 months WHILE listening to your podcast. 8)

My vice is FUNimation Dragon Ball DVD's and Blu-Rays. (With the acception of the bricks.)

Holds 250 DVD's.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:14 pm

I really enjoyed this podcast episode and loved what you guys had to say. I especially could relate to what Mike said regarding being a college student and having some money to spend on things and not having too many other responsibilities. I currently fall in that category at the moment and try to balance my mentality of getting some DB collectibles with my other desire to save money for the future (apartment, food, paying off loans, etc). It is nice though, to just have school on my plate and then I just get to be kind of lazy with the rest of my time and money from time to time too. Since my wife and I will be graduating together with our Bachelors in about three months we have a lot to talk about in the near future and I keep my collecting in mind when we go over stuff like that.

And in terms of collecting I would say that I'm a proponent of collecting the anime in its various iterations over anything else. I own all the Dragon Boxes but I am currently collecting (attempting at least) to get them all brand new and sealed. I'm lucky enough to own Dragon Box Volume 2 and unless I win the lottery sometime soon I don't think I'll buy a sealed copy of that but the rest of the Dragon Boxes are fair game for me. I also started buying the new BD series of DBZ and will keep those sealed. I have no desire to actually view them on my Blu-ray player because it doesn't present DBZ in a way that I'd actually want to view it. But I find a kind of novelty in buying all these various types of iterations of the anime series and I also like to support Funimation in the hopes that such funds will convince them to release a kind of Dragon Box series for BD.

From time to time I also collect certain Jump magazine issues depending on what's included. I just bought the March 2014 issue of Saikyo Jump last week for the Episode of Bardock Tankobon book and also for the fact that in that same book is the interview with Toriyama disclosing that he will review Goku's mother Gine in the Tankobon release of Jaco. I just like to collect some copies that would stand out to me in the span of DB release history.

I also agree with you guys that it's difficult to kind of talk this way about collecting because it kind of just accepts the fate of us fans collecting and buying new things each and every day, week, and month. I am definitely in the boat of wanting a lot of this stuff and even going to the extent of buying a lot of the stuff but I don't know if I'd call my habit healthy. My money could definitely be going to some better causes and needs of others but it's just a selfish desire I have to own some great pieces of DB history. I think as long as I'm honest with myself and know my faults then what I do is alright, as long as it doesn't bankrupt my wife and I. :lol: