Episode #0311 (30 September 2012)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0311 (30 September 2012)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:24 pm

Episode #0311 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version)
97:05; 96 kbps, mono; 66.8 MB

Episode #0311! VegettoEX and Hujio catch up on a couple weeks worth of news, specifically involving next year's big new movie. Joe joins us for a trip down memory lane with the "Super Butoden" series as we attempt to figure out if it truly was a golden era of DBZ video gaming, if it was all the same type of cash-in we complain about these days, and if "Super Butoden 2" very specifically was the greatest DBZ game of all time. Your (hugely international!) thoughts on the game series wraps up our jam-packed episode! Referenced sites:
Enjoy!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Re: Episode #0311 (30 September 2012)

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:49 am

Damn, Kenji Yamamoto..

At 58:51 that song is Guile's theme!

(And The Lion King for NES was only released in the UK.)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:38 am

Early 90's DB U.S. fandom is so interesting to listen to. The only ways that I can even kind of relate to it is with the Buu arc and GT since I got into the series before either of those were brought over and dubbed. I was also a Sega Genesis kid, so most of my Super NES/Famicom experience came from either re-releases on Gameboy's various incarnations or the Wii download store. I did play a lot of the original NES though (I still have it, but various things like the 2nd controller and the Duck Hunt gun and a couple of the games that I used to have are now missing somewhere.)

There were daytime/evening/night options in Butoden games? *_*
That's a feature I would so like to have in a future game; I'm pretty sure it was in one of the PS2-era games too (evening option at least), but I can't remember which one.

I still want Ultimate Butoden, even though they probably won't ever release it in the U.S.
Watching a video on YouTube showcasing the costumes; ssj3 Goku with a buttoned-up jacket is hilarious. Also ssj2 child Gohan with overalls and striped long-sleeved shirt (how 80's X3 ) , Vegeta gets his leather jacket/red shirt from that one chapter before the last tournament! Postboy Piccolo is playble!? And Taitan Baseball Team Yamcha!

O M G. You can play as Goku wearing black or white bunny ears headband in this game? O_O
Why yes, this is the best Dragon Ball game I've never played. T_T
*Wants to play it so much.*

(Also, Kakarrotto. Carrot. Bunny Ears = pun X3 )

The fact that all of the upcoming DB13 Movie news that's come out since the original announcements in July have been related to stuff happening outside the film itself and nothing about the plot of the film is both funny and sad. I appreciate that Toei wants to share information about the people behind the scenes, but I really want to know what the movie's about. @_@
I would not be surprised if we get through October without learning the plot.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:21 am

Congratulations Heath-jio. I'm listening to the episode as I type this.
https://twitpic.com/show/iphone/ar7sc7
Pure awesomeness...so when's he gonna start working on the site? :lol:

LaRésistance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LaRésistance » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:44 am

I'm kicking myself for failing to send my feedback in time (it's still on Facebook for those who would like to read it). I have a lot of stories relating to the Super Butôden games seeing that they were released at the height of the popularity of Dragon Ball Z in France (movies 12 and 13 were released in theatres here for crying out loud). It was a very fun podcast to listen to nonetheless.

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:57 am

Super Butouden in two words: fuck yeah. I kinda missed out on the last couple podcast episodes for several reasons, but when I saw "Super Butouden" pop up in my Twitter feed this morning, I scrambled to put it on my MP3 player. I friggin' love these games.

I'm surprised that when you went from the SB2 opening theme to Yamamoto's supposed plagiarism, you didn't mention the very obvious nod to Eleanor Rigby in the opening theme.

As for SB1, some people have pointed out the similarity between the title theme and this song. Although... didn't Yamamoto collaborate with YMO on something in Dragon Ball at one point? Does that make it okay? It's almost as ballsy as when he straight up ripped off a Toto song (possibly two) in Budokai 1. Oh well, I love the soundtracks anyway.

Also, I totally agree that it was awesome to have Goku as a hidden character in SB2. I always considered it to be something of a nod to other fighting games that had the main character step back in a sequel in favour of some younger relation... but then I realised, they didn't start doing that until long after this game. Does that mean SB2 was ahead of its time in more than just its story mode? :P

With SB3, I was, like everyone I suppose, pretty annoyed at the lack of content. On the other hand, the development team didn't exactly have a lot of material to work with. Didn't this game come out before Super Saiyan 3 debuted? With the recent stream of content-lacking fighting games (especially from Capcom), I find myself having a harder time getting mad about SB3 in comparison. It's kind of a shame--I always really wanted to review the Butouden games on my YouTube show and I had a pretty good rant about SB3 in my head, but now it seems outdated. :lol:

Phew, I'm glad I got all that out of the way. Can you tell I really like the Butouden games? ^_^; I guess it's a good thing I didn't get to submit my own "Butouden story" for the podcast, you guys would've had to dedicate half the episode to it.

LaRésistance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LaRésistance » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:32 am

Fun fact: Broly and Goku weren't hidden in the French version of DBZ 2... And Broly was called Tara...

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:40 am

Wow, very nice discussion topic. I believe Super Butoden 3 was actually the very first DB game I ever played (as a rom ...) so it's pretty nostalgic.
The series on Dutch tv at the time was nowhere near the Buu saga at that point, so I had no idea who characters like Kaioshin or Dabura were. I believe I only recognized Goku, and probably Vegeta. It was interesting to see the 'future' versions of the characters that I knew, and I had all these speculations about how the Buu saga might go down. For some reason I always imagined it taking place at night, maybe because of the night-time stages in the game. I also remember seeing tons of yellow hair in the character selection screen and thinking "Piccolo should've been there". I really wanted to play Goku vs Piccolo for some reason ... then I got my hands on Butoden 2. :P

Also, I remember loving Bu Yuu Retsuden's soundtrack, and Piccolo's Super Butoden 2 theme totally sounds like the James Bond tune in parts.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:49 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Damn, Kenji Yamamoto..

At 58:51 that song is Guile's theme!

(And The Lion King for NES was only released in the UK.)
I knew I wasn't the only one who thought that!

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:21 am

Damn it! Now I have to go buy the Butodens (and HD)!

I was actually considering one day to buy a SFC but I think I might just mod.

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:12 am

This was a really fun discussion to take part in. I don't know many "old-timers" anymore so reminiscing was fun! I still think the Butoden games are some of the most fun Dragon Ball games, period.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:55 am

Fantastic episode Mike (and Joe), love that videogame talk. When are we getting another VGConvos? *nudge nudge*

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:13 am

I've always wanted to play those old school dragonball games! And that kinect hair avatar is hilarious!

destro4thewin

Post by destro4thewin » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:10 pm

Hi guys!!!Finally i made an account!!!!!I am from Greece and everyday for the past 6 months i listen to your podcasts when i go to work on the bike. The funny thing is that there are still dragonball fans that actually still enjoy talking about the show and enjoy it!!! (i thought that i was the only one left in this planet :lol: ).When i talk with some of my friends about dragonball z and compare it to other newest animes like N____o B____h O_e P___c they just stop talking and tell that "you can't compare these with something so old" or that "dbz animation isn't good" etc.
Here in Greece we don't get to see many animes cause nobody dubs them or releases them.Also you can't find dvd so in order to have a complete series you have to buy it from Amazon or Ebay, wait for a long time to arrive and most of the time pay a lot about them but the awesome part is that everyone here knows dbz!!!!!
It was one of the few that people decided to dub it.The greek dub isn't actually pretty good but whatever nobody cared!!!!It was great!!!I use to wake up 6 in the morning to watch it!!!And it was cool!!!

Thank you guys for the great podcats and i hope that you will continue to make more and more for many years.I still have in my ipod all the "manga review of awesomeness" podcasts, they were really good and made my buy everyone of them just too follow you while you were reviewing them!!!
Keep up the awesome work guys!!Can't wait for more!!!

AlexFili
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexFili » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:04 pm

Butoden 2/3 were some of the first SNES games I ever played. I also played a lot of the Legend of the Super Saiyan RPG and some of the other games too (Gokuden, Hyper Dimension).

One thing I forgot was how hard Butoden 1 was. I could barely beat Vegeta in the story mode!
Ultimate Butoden on the DS doesn't really live up to the Butoden name in terms of content and gameplay, but is a fantastic game in it's own right (Dare I say the best portable 3D DBZ game?).