Episode #0329 (07 April 2013)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0329 (07 April 2013)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:04 pm

Episode #0329 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version)
70:59; 96 kbps, mono; 48.9 MB

Episode #0329! VegettoEX, Hujio, and Julian dive into a wealth of reference materials for the new film "Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods" and attempt to discover where the film's story truly came from. While the final result was fantastic, imagine an alternate version with a lizard-esque villain, Super Saiyan God with a cape, a wedding instead of a birthday party, and a far darker story than has ever been told before! Referenced sites:
Enjoy!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Re: Episode #0329 (07 April 2013)

Post by CashmanX » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:31 pm

Hey, look, news broke just as you posted again! :lol:

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:33 pm

It is my gift. It is my curse.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:17 am

Are you guys gonna review the Crossover special and BOG-related CDs on the podcast, or are they gonna be covered in written reviews?

Just finished listening, fascinating episode guys-particularly the Nozawa thing.

I'd like to add that the Freeza and King Vegeta scenes also seem like things that were left over from the original concept for the film. While I do realize that the Freeza scene was probably necessary for the introduction of Super Saiyan God, it still felt like it had little relevance to anything. The King Vegeta scene on the other hand, seems like it was completely out of the blue and I get the feeling that it originally tied in with Beerus's connection to the Saiyans. I also wanna say that the whole 'Creation & Destruction' had more to it than simply being a reason for introducing the villain.

A little disappointed that the Makaioshin and Uis weren't mentioned at any point in these interviews. The poster...it's so misleading. :cry:

Unrelated note: When was the last time you guys did emails and releases? Feels like Battle of Gods forced those things out of the show. :lol:

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by JeffJarrett » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:24 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:I'd like to add that the Freeza and King Vegeta scenes also seem like things that were left over from the original concept for the film. While I do realize that the Freeza scene was probably necessary for the introduction of Super Saiyan God, it still felt like it had little relevance to anything. The King Vegeta scene on the other hand, seems like it was completely out of the blue and I get the feeling that it originally tied in with Beerus's connection to the Saiyans. I also wanna say that the whole 'Creation & Destruction' had more to it than simply being a reason for introducing the villain.
Agree, the scene would have looked betten with an evil anthropomorphic lizard stepping on King Vegeta's head while eating, to celebrate his victory over the Saiyans. Infecting them would have somwhat turned them into his slaves. Too bad they ketp this in Battle of Gods, because they can't reuse this scene in another movie now, with a lizard instead Bills.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:18 pm

Are we sure Nozawa was referring to the casting for this movie? The translation on the site made me think that she was referring to the mid-1980s. O.o

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:27 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Are we sure Nozawa was referring to the casting for this movie? The translation on the site made me think that she was referring to the mid-1980s. O.o
I thought that too.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:38 pm

I'm so happy that Toriyama became so involved with this movie, and with the changes he made to the script. I luv ssjg Goku's look; I know I'm probably in the minority with that, but the design appeals to me so much. (That unexpectedly magenta hair! X3 )

I really like hearing behind-the-scenes early-draft stuff though. That does sound like it would've been a very dark movie, and I am curious about some of the details like what the character roles in it would've been.

If they'd been doing a movie every couple years the way OP does movies, I could've seen them doing a darker one maybe 3 or 4 movies in, but not for the first one back after a 17 year hiatus; for this I agree having lighter fair worked better.

Toei's "contingency plan" causes Nozawa's 'I want to continue voicing Goku all the way into the world record books' to make a lot more sense. I'm happy she got to voice him in the movie.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:58 pm

I feel the lighter tone of the movie ended up making it seem more believable since it's placed in the 10 years of "peace". It wouldn't seem very peaceful if there were actual casualties (albeit temporary ones). And since no one actually dies, neither good or bad, the characters will look back on these events more light heartedly than they do with, Boo or Cell for example.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:38 am

Whatever happened to Meri haha?

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:51 pm

Jackal puFF wrote:Whatever happened to Meri haha?
Updating her site. Duh. :P

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:13 pm

You know, even with the promise that the only spoilers would be what wouldn't be in the movie, you all still diverged into plot points of the movie. I guess it's fine since, apparently, a lot of people have read the spoilers. But, I've personally been avoiding 'em like the plague with the most chance I've been taking is with the podcast. So I'll kindly ask if you guys could add some extra spoiler tags before saying certain stuff so I'll know when to stop listening or skip a while like the latter half of a couple recent episodes. Thanks.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:09 pm

We very clearly said we weren't going to talk specifics about the actual movie, but WERE going to talk about what the movie WAS NOT and how it was CHANGED, which could then very easily be taken to piece together the actual movie. Couldn't get much more helpful than that to the listeners, I think.

The "Battle of Gods" story-specific content is mostly done for us at this point until a home release to review (or some manga adaptation, I suppose), so everyone can tune back in to the show next week and be all happy again!

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:22 pm

I'm surprised y'all didn't mention that the fight between Goku and Beerus (and everyone else for that matter) looks like the animators consciously went back to the Dragon Ball Tenkaichi Budokai tournament roots depicting actual Kung Fu and other Asian martial arts maneuvers, and not simply outlandish combat like against Boo, Cell, etc. It's almost like the animators consciously went back to what initially inspired Toriyama-sensei. That or they just thought it would look cooler.

Personally I'd prefer Goku's body to have stayed the same (but with red hair and the aura) rather than getting all lean and maybe hint at this being a new base form that he can use and transform on top of with his other Super Saiyan multipliers, as in Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan 2 Goku, etc., if he harnessed that power on his own :crazy: but that may be too much.

The thing I do like about slimming up Goku for SS God is that it fits with the more martial arts feel to this animation. Typically the superior martial artists are the leaner more compact ones as bulky muscles tend to just get in the way. After all a lot of martial arts weight training consists of using one's own body weight (hence the gravitron machines). Although visually my favorite drawings were probably Goku all 'roided out when he went Super Saiyan for the first time against Frieza (or for Mike's benefit Freeza) but to each his own.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:39 pm

Kakarot88 wrote:I'm surprised y'all didn't mention that the fight between Goku and Beerus (and everyone else for that matter) looks like the animators consciously went back to the Dragon Ball Tenkaichi Budokai tournament roots depicting actual Kung Fu and other Asian martial arts maneuvers, and not simply outlandish combat like against Boo, Cell, etc. It's almost like the animators consciously went back to what initially inspired Toriyama-sensei. That or they just thought it would look cooler.
Yamamuro spoke in interviews about trying to avoid wide-spread damage, so I think that is what inspired a lot of the hand-to-hand combat. Although with Hamano Yuu'ichi and Shida Naotoshi animating it was pretty clear from the start there would be some great hand-to-hand combat.

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:57 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Kakarot88 wrote:I'm surprised y'all didn't mention that the fight between Goku and Beerus (and everyone else for that matter) looks like the animators consciously went back to the Dragon Ball Tenkaichi Budokai tournament roots depicting actual Kung Fu and other Asian martial arts maneuvers, and not simply outlandish combat like against Boo, Cell, etc. It's almost like the animators consciously went back to what initially inspired Toriyama-sensei. That or they just thought it would look cooler.
Yamamuro spoke in interviews about trying to avoid wide-spread damage, so I think that is what inspired a lot of the hand-to-hand combat. Although with Hamano Yuu'ichi and Shida Naotoshi animating it was pretty clear from the start there would be some great hand-to-hand combat.
Right right what I meant was it still looked to be actual moves and techniques rather than just cool flying flips and warping ya know?

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:00 pm

About Wreck-It Ralph's and Up's title changes:

Wreck-It Ralph's main theme song is called Sugar Rush and is performed by Japanese pop group AKB48. I think it's easy to see why Japan went that route.

Up being changed to Old Man Carl's Flying House seems to be an attempt to cash in on the similarly titled Studio Ghibli film Howl's Moving Castle. Another example of this can be seen with the movie Napoleon Dynamite; its title got changed to Bus Otoko to cash in on the popularity of Densha Otoko, a Japanese movie that was a big hit at the time.