Episode #0341 (18 August 2013)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0341 (18 August 2013)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:28 pm

Episode #0341 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version)
45:07; 96 kbps, mono; 32.7 MB

Episode #0341! VegettoEX and Julian dive into the days of alt.fan.dragonball, the essential newsgroup for discussing our favorite series back-in-the-day. What type of community evolved there once the series came to North America, and how did it shape what ultimately became Daizenshuu EX and then Kanzenshuu? Fun bits of "Dragon Ball Heroes" and other merchandise news wraps it up! Referenced sites:
Enjoy the episode!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Re: Episode #0341 (18 August 2013)

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:47 pm

Yay! New episode

Just started listening to it...looking forward to the topic, always interested in the early days of online Dragon Ball fandom.

In terms of the Broly topic, will you be talking about the fan side of things or the in-universe side?

News has been a tad slow lately, I guess it's always kinda been like this but I guess we got so used to the Battle of Gods onslaught. Like you say though, calm before another storm of the BOG variety. The film did come out in the Philippines and Hong Kong recently, but there doesn't seem to be a lot coming out of that. I'm sure South America will be different though. :shock:

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:05 pm

Yeah, I mentioned the Broli topic. Glad to know I'm memorable. :( I ain't even mad.

Good episode. I barely remember the internet from back then... good to see a nice blast from the past getting a topic.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:28 pm

:lol: Tanooki Kuribo

16...with Kanzenshuu...starting a bunch of topics...I don't think it's me, is it? :lol:

Great podcast! Thoroughly enjoy topics like these.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:30 am

Oh man, I was a totally different person back then.

I actually deleted that old AOL screen name I was using on alt.fan.dragonball because I've become so embarrassed of what I was writing that I didn't wanna be associated with that. I just wanted to start over and forget about all the shit I was spewing. At times it seemed like I was starting arguments with people for no good reason. I think I may have even said some really nasty things to people that are still here. I'm not 100% sure and I really don't wanna check. But yea, I was a total ass. :angel:

Jackal puFF

Post by Jackal puFF » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:54 am

That was a very heartfelt podcast! Nice to learn about your guy's humble beginnings. It's pretty cool how there's an original group of forum buddies here.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:50 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I actually deleted that old AOL screen name I was using on alt.fan.dragonball because I've become so embarrassed of what I was writing that I didn't wanna be associated with that. I just wanted to start over and forget about all the shit I was spewing. At times it seemed like I was starting arguments with people for no good reason. I think I may have even said some really nasty things to people that are still here. I'm not 100% sure and I really don't wanna check. But yea, I was a total ass. :angel:
All water under the bridge. I think you've proven many times over the last decade that you could be a valuable, contributing member of the community. Plus we can all look back and see how stupid we were when we were just starting out.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:41 pm

Great podcast as usual but one minor poo...y'all mentioned several times how ridiculous Super Android 17 fused with 16 looked...can you please share that pic with the rest of the class? :thumbup:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:29 pm

I enjoy the talk of older DBZ sites. I guess I might be the only forum member of Planet Namek here. I had a account, but I never really post on that site since I remember being scared of people going to attack me. I was also on Planet Namek, DBZUncensored, Dragnet, Dragon World, Pojo, dbzn.net, DB-Unlimited, majin-planet.org, and MFG. I also a member on many Gamespot DBZ unions from 2005 - 2006 as well.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:01 pm

Kakarot88 wrote:can you please share that pic with the rest of the class? :thumbup:

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:08 pm

Kakarot88 wrote:Great podcast as usual but one minor poo...y'all mentioned several times how ridiculous Super Android 17 fused with 16 looked...can you please share that pic with the rest of the class? :thumbup:
Several of those supplemental news posts are coming...! Just busy times.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:29 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Kakarot88 wrote:Great podcast as usual but one minor poo...y'all mentioned several times how ridiculous Super Android 17 fused with 16 looked...can you please share that pic with the rest of the class? :thumbup:
Several of those supplemental news posts are coming...! Just busy times.
Re: VegetoEx :oops: Understood! Please don't burn yourself out.

Re: TheDevilsCorpse
THANK YOU!!!! Bahahahaha that IS HILARIOUS! I saw that and all I could think of was an ad going something like: "Thought Super 17 was swole?! THINK AGAIN!!! Having absorbed Number 16 and a hefty amount of the Arnold juice he's ready to look as ridiculous as Broly!! BUT with his own emo outfit and hairdo!!" Bahahaha [gasp] bahahahahaha :lol: I think what makes it twice as funny is that the caption said "perfect physique" or something like that...

That fusion is as bad as the movie "Oz the Great and Powerful." I mean at no point have I ever heard people be like "Hmmm I wonder what the back story is on the wizard of Oz, I bet that's off the chain!"...kind of like how I've never heard anyone go "I wonder what would happen if we fused Super 17 with Number 16...I bet he'd look like Broly only lame as hell"...what round table discussion resulted in this monstrosity ...what's next fusion of General Blue with Arale...oooh or Lunch with Husky!!

Jackal puFF

Post by Jackal puFF » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:22 am

Lol that's the most hilarious fusion ever. What will they think of next..?