Episode #0001 (19 November 2005)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:37 pm

Dayspring wrote:and am actually disapointed to hear that the next installment will not only intentionally include more slam-the-dubisms, but increase in number as well.
I think you're mis-understanding where it's heading. Just wait and see, I guess.
Dayspring wrote:In other words, Mike makes the time-honored transition from burp to fart humour! :P
I really don't understand what the big deal is. Everybody poops. 8)
Zackarotto wrote:I did a search for "Daizenshuu" on the iTunes music store, and I couldn't find this podcast. Have you not submitted it to their directory?
Nope, I haven't submitted it to iTunes, yet. I only just today make an iTunes-compatible version of the RSS feed (which I haven't uploaded yet). iTunes takes a whole bunch of extra stuff in the XML file to be compliant with their client and have the extra bits iTunes can show.

With the next episode's debut, I plan on submitting it to iTunes. It *is* up over on Yahoo! Podcasts, though.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:15 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Dayspring wrote:In other words, Mike makes the time-honored transition from burp to fart humour! :P
I really don't understand what the big deal is. Everybody poops. 8)
Reading your avatar's blurb made me laugh after reading this. :lol:
I'm so immature. :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:23 am

wow, I really enjoyed hearing this. This is my first podcast heard, and I truly enjoyed it. I look forward to hearing more of them, and from other forum members. Its always fun to hear people you type to usually. Anyway, yeah enjoyed it, and thanks for the thoughts on Tenkaichi. I've been considering it and this helped.
-Laserkid

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:46 am

VegettoEX wrote:Everybody poops.
Actually, you're a naughty child, and that's concentrated evil coming out the back of you.
(I couldn't resist.)

Anyway, I look forward to future "podcasts", and I really look forward to the return of ASK VegettoEX.

I'm all a-twtter.

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:28 am

Great job, guys.

Hopefully you'll have played SuperSonic Warriors 2 by the time you're ready to do the next podcast. I'm on the fence about whether or not I should go ahead and buy it.

I totally agree about your opinion on Sparking. It's fun while the story mode lasts, but after that... Shelf time. 100 Battle Warrior mode is fun for all of what, 5 minutes? There's absolutely no incentive to plow through it.

In my opinion, I think the reason it's so fun at first but ends up becoming so tedious and tiresome boils down to the rather basic combat system. (That's not to say the previous Budokai games had deep battle systems, but even they involved a bit more depth than Sparking) Let's see, you've got your square button, your two triangle blasts, and your dash/defensive moves. The reason it didn't really bother me through story mode was the fact that I was too busy unlocking an assload of characters to really care.

And in the end, you end up with an ENORMOUS amount of characters, yet there's no real desire to spend much time playing as them. All of the moves are executed the same way, and there isn't much variation in play styles at all. ... That's my take on it, anyways.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:59 am

Regarding future podcasts:

Your debate with Piccolo-San has made it obvious that you have a strong opinion about DBZ bootlegs, EX, so perhaps you've got something to add to the next podcast.

I do agree with you that the fans as a whole don't know just how good they have it that the entire series and all the movies and specials have been/will be released legally on bi-freakin'-lingual DVDs with decent quality video and accurate subtitles. It'd be interesting to hear your take on what people like you and the fandom as a whole went through in Ye Olde Fansub Days trying to get official DBZ releases down the pipe and onto the shelves.

It's an intriguing topic, it has a personal flavor and everyone has an opinion or experience to share; you and Julian, certainly. Could make for good broadcasting, no?

(Li'l Lemmy, with his one idea.)
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:53 am

How good we have it?

291 episodes split up onto full-priced DVDs of 3 episodes a piece? .... Yeahhhh..... No.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:15 am

Smooth Criminal wrote:How good we have it?

291 episodes split up onto full-priced DVDs of 3 episodes a piece? .... Yeahhhh..... No.
*spoiled Newbie-alert*

Yes, that's you, no offense. The fact we HAVE DVDs, with an English dub and a high quality sub track, and uncut, is beyond a good thing. Or haven't you been paying attention? And, er, full-priced? What-the-hell? Obviously you shop for anime at the wrong places.

I wasn't there back during the 'good ole days' when all you had was bad quality fansub VHS, or before that even when getting the series wasn't possible, but I do appreciate what I've got now.

Fans these days are simply spoiled, and that's all there is to it. Apparently a quality product, uncut, complete with the original audio, and with superb subtitles isn't enough for them. You do realize that they don't have to do that, right? They could just as easily (and far more cheaply to them) release only the edited dub version of every anime there is, at the same price as they currently release the Uncuts for.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:02 am

Xyex wrote:The fact we HAVE DVDs, with an English dub and a high quality sub track, and uncut, is beyond a good thing.
It really is incredible, I think. There are days I think about that and can hardly believe that FUNimation has come so far as to dub the whole series, let alone get it released in DVD with a secondary Japanese track that has what could be the most accurate subtitles the DBZ purists among us could hope for.

The subtitles for the old VHS fansubs were nothing like Daimao's.
Xyex wrote:Fans these days are simply spoiled, and that's all there is to it. Apparently a quality product, uncut, complete with the original audio, and with superb subtitles isn't enough for them.
They really do want everything under the sun, but I suppose it's only because they love the series so got-damned much. Still, it should be noted that (I think) what we get these days in terms of DBZ is nothing short of a godsend when you consider it could just as easily have never been released at all.

Back on topic: I suppose there's really not much more to be said without straying too far off-topic other than that I still think a discussion in this vein would make for a good podcast, but I'm sure EX and Julian have their own ideas for future episodes; I'll just have to wait and see.

(Li'l Lemmy, who just made his 100th post. Hooray!)

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:17 am

Please keep things on-topic. I don't mind show suggestions (and encourage them above all-else), but let's not get into discussions-among-discussions concerning these things in this particular thread.

Our goal for the show is definitely to (1) inform, (2) entertain, and hopefully, (3) address some issues that people want to hear about. At the same time, it *needs* to be kept light-hearted, and absolutely *canNOT* talk DOWN or AT the audience. I have a feeling that a bunch of old folgies sitting around talking about when we had to go to Chinatown and get two or three badly subtitles episodes that may or may not even play in our VCR for $10 a pop isn't a great thing to whine at newer fans about.

Let's make one thing perfectly clear (breaking my own rule that I just said in the first paragraph of this post):

FUNimation, despite all the crap they've done over the years (define "crap" in your own way) cares about their fans. Again, define "cares" as you wish. This company is completely dedicated to not only releasing the entire show (all 508 TV episodes, all movies, all TV specials)... but they're doing it with the Japanese language track. They're even re-releasing items they've done to include a Japanese language track.

Very few straight-to-TV, shounen shows get this treatment. Very few domestic anime companies would ever tackle this.

Regardless of whether you like FUNimation, like their video quality, like their episode counts, like their packaging, like their translations, or like anything else related to their property...

Those DVDs are available for you if you want them. And they're relatively cheap.

I think I've said anything I could have said on the show right there.

So back to discussing the podcast and things you would like to hear! I've been working my butt off the last two days pulling some things together in preparation for the next episode (which I think we're scheduled to record tomorrow night). I really think people are going to enjoy it!
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:29 am

My suggestion did end up branching off into another discussion, which certainly wasn't my intention . . . nonetheless, it happened. Eh.

Even so, that's over and done with. Regarding this "stuff" you put together for your next broadcast; a chance of hearing some details on what to expect, maybe? . . . or perhaps it's intended to be a surprise.

Sorry, EX!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:55 am

For one thing, I'm trying to put together a general section just going over what all the recent releases are in North America and Japan (DVDs, manga, video games). Put myself a bunch of information together last night so I know what I'm talking about :P.

As hinted at on the show and in this thread, there's going to be something on "Kaio-Ken" and its pronunciation-evolution.

And then a fun discussion with more than just Julian and myself...!

And maybe some other stuff. I've got this really sexy outline, but we'll see how well we stick to it once we get talking... 8)

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:12 am

VegettoEX wrote: FUNimation, despite all the crap they've done over the years (define "crap" in your own way) cares about their fans. Again, define "cares" as you wish. This company is completely dedicated to not only releasing the entire show (all 508 TV episodes, all movies, all TV specials)... but they're doing it with the Japanese language track. They're even re-releasing items they've done to include a Japanese language track.

Very few straight-to-TV, shounen shows get this treatment. Very few domestic anime companies would ever tackle this.

Regardless of whether you like FUNimation, like their video quality, like their episode counts, like their packaging, like their translations, or like anything else related to their property...

Those DVDs are available for you if you want them. And they're relatively cheap.

I think I've said anything I could have said on the show right there.
Actually, that sounds like a significant issue to discuss. Outstanding translations, unedited subs w/original music, having to pay for dub-VAs and new scores for a different generation (dub's music)... sounds like a perfectly valid reason to have a high cost (it's so high that many Canadian non-Wal-Mart-esque stores prefer to try and sell at almost break-even). Yet in comparison to "inferior" translated DVDs, they're priced at only what, $5 more per disc at most? And this is also just store pricing; maybe you could explore why internet is sooo damn cheap when selling individual discs, whereas stores seem to only drop $5 in price, if anything.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:30 am

VegettoEX wrote:And then a fun discussion with more than just Julian and myself...!
Another special guest, eh? I'm sure whomever you get is great, though personally I'm guessing that it's Meri you may have been able to pull into it. Place your bets!
VegettoEX wrote:And maybe some other stuff. I've got this really sexy outline, but we'll see how well we stick to it once we get talking...
An outline, huh? Wow, you're really taking this venture seriously . . . then again, for all I know you do the same for everything else that's site-related. I too find an outline pretty helpful now and then in preventing things from becoming an absolute mess.

(Li'l Lemmy, the constant yakker.)

Blastero
Beyond Newbie

Post by Blastero » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:01 am

Wow. Excellent work. Really great stuff. And I completely agree with your Sparking review. Keep up the good work!

cartoonboy

Nice Pilot

Post by cartoonboy » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:09 am

Hi! I'm new to forums here but been reading the site for some time! i like the pilot. best pilot of anything i've seen/heard! and i also think budokai 2 was the best!

Tapion
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Tapion » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:11 pm

Great! ^.^

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:34 am

I thought it was good, you covered a load of subjects and such, I did start skimming through it after 5 minutes, but I usually lose interest quick anyway. I think you should talk about the difference in BGM music in one podcast, since it's audio, you can compare different scenes by the different tracks the dub would play instead of the original. Just a thought.

Good to hear your voices, I too always thought you had some deep voice EX, but it's not, you sound kind of like Jim from American Pie. On the level.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:51 am

I really like what you're doing here. Good job.