Episode #0345 (06 October 2013)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0345 (06 October 2013)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:12 pm

Episode #0345 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version)
53:11; 96 kbps, mono; 36.7 MB

Episode #0345! VegettoEX, Meri, and Julian dive into "Jaco the Galactic Patrolman". With the 11-chapter series now complete and confirmed as a "Dragon Ball" tie-in, what did we think about it? Does it live up to the success showcased by its predecessor? Is it a good, self-contained story in and of itself, or does it rely on "Dragon Ball" to get any kind of reaction out of the reader? This week's news and stories from Julian's trip to a "Battle of Gods" viewing party wraps up the episode!

Referenced sites:
Enjoy the episode!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Re: Episode #0345 (06 October 2013)

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:41 am

So is the Dragon Ball GT Review of Awesomeness ever coming back, or is that over?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:31 am

Fionordequester wrote:So is the Dragon Ball GT Review of Awesomeness ever coming back, or is that over?
Of course it's not over. As I've described in the podcast itself several times, it's just really hard to line up folks' lives and recording schedules for a project like this when they don't live near each other anymore.

I'd greatly prefer that discussion in each podcast thread be about the content of said show. Thanks! :).
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:52 pm

I loved the different perspectives: Mike (English week too week), Julian (Japanese week to week), and Merry (self control for binge reading :thumbup: ).
I personally could not wait until it was complete and read it each week. I enjoyed it for what it was and would of course love to see more, but thought Jaco was a great self contained arc in its own respect. I loved the final joke being something to the effect of "shameless plug" :lol: CLASSIC!

I would have loved to have seen a bit more of Goku or somehow use Jaco to be the catalyst for the head trama. Such as Jaco realizes Goku's not a threat after the injury so he decides not to vaporize him...just a thought. I wish Jaco's doomsday device had also been revisited with maybe Dr. Briefs analyzing it and it turning out it would not work anyways :lol: but that'd have been an awkward edition and messed up the flow.

Great Podcast, as usual, although since I have been recently listing to the manga reviews of awesomeness I was super excited for a chapter by chapter summary of Jaco. Maybe next time with SD or (fingers crossed) another Toriyama one shot if he makes more. Y'all got your hands full, thank you for all you do!

PS
did y'all ever do a chapter by chapter review of Nekko Majin, if not it'd be a good lead into a discussion of Battle of Z after Mike gets to fight with him :thumbup:

pps
I ALSO thought Tights was gonna be like Bulma's cousin or her mom, but def not her sister lol ooooh Toriyama what will you think of next, or forget :D

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:31 pm

Sorry Vegetto. I didn't watch the podcast itself, so I didn't know.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:46 pm

Great podcast (and Jaco coverage as a whole!) and you guys had some great theories for how the story could have gone! Definitely would have liked to see that take on Jaco pushing baby Goku down the ravine to hit his head! The respective spin-off guide looks great as well and has been a joy to read. But I must say I haven't quite gotten used to seeing those Viz title pages yet!

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:34 am

Kakarot88 wrote:Great Podcast, as usual, although since I have been recently listing to the manga reviews of awesomeness I was super excited for a chapter by chapter summary of Jaco. Maybe next time with SD or (fingers crossed) another Toriyama one shot if he makes more. Y'all got your hands full, thank you for all you do!

PS
did y'all ever do a chapter by chapter review of Nekko Majin, if not it'd be a good lead into a discussion of Battle of Z after Mike gets to fight with him :thumb up:
First, we need to write summaries of all those chapters. I'm on SD, and I think Mike has probably claimed Neko Majin, but it will be a while yet before the fruits of our labor are ready for public consumption.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:35 am

Great episode! Loved hearing your different perspectives. Speaking of the Manga Reviews of Awesomeness... I was wondering if we'd get a "Vizisms" segment for the Jaco review, but it did not come up. Is it just that Jaco was translated at a different time and Viz's translations are a lot more accurate? Even if it's the case of "Well, this is totally fine, but x or y has been translated in an interesting way" I love hearing about these kinds of things and "Vizisms" was always one of my favorite parts of the Manga Reviews.

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:05 am

SaiyaJedi wrote: First, we need to write summaries of all those chapters. I'm on SD, and I think Mike has probably claimed Neko Majin, but it will be a while yet before the fruits of our labor are ready for public consumption.
Awesome!! Haha as it is my eyes are a bit bigger than my stomach, so to speak, I haven't yet been through all of the content of the most recent mega post of spinoff releases and other one shots that Mike posted...but I will :twisted: :shifty:
Thanks again!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:14 am

medama_oyaji wrote:Great episode! Loved hearing your different perspectives. Speaking of the Manga Reviews of Awesomeness... I was wondering if we'd get a "Vizisms" segment for the Jaco review, but it did not come up. Is it just that Jaco was translated at a different time and Viz's translations are a lot more accurate? Even if it's the case of "Well, this is totally fine, but x or y has been translated in an interesting way" I love hearing about these kinds of things and "Vizisms" was always one of my favorite parts of the Manga Reviews.
Everything I spot-checked seemed right on, and Julian never mentioned anything major to me as we went through. I forget the specific example, but even the... what was it... hearing an ant fart from whatever distance? Even that was direct up exact between the two. I think a couple distances (meters/miles) were converted, but that's about it that I could find.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:46 pm

Great episode! I haven't read Jaco yet but I could resist listening in! The spoilers weren't too bad however.

Also I could've sworn someone was snickering when Mike said "blew their load" early in the podcast... :think:

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:35 am

Julian's summing-up of the character of Jaco near the end was very well-put. I don't think anybody could have said it better. I also really enjoyed the back-and-forth on Jaco's "straight man" personality.

I just had so much fun with this little series. More than anything, I'm happy that Toriyama seems to enjoy Dragon Ball again. In 1995 he was (understandably) trying to distance himself from it. When we got Neko Majin Z and the new Kanzenban ending, I thought he had finally come to accept it for what it was. And now, between Jaco and his involvement with the 2013 movie, he seems to have found real enthusiasm for it again. I really feel like he's come full-circle.

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:54 am

VegettoEX wrote:
medama_oyaji wrote:Great episode! Loved hearing your different perspectives. Speaking of the Manga Reviews of Awesomeness... I was wondering if we'd get a "Vizisms" segment for the Jaco review, but it did not come up. Is it just that Jaco was translated at a different time and Viz's translations are a lot more accurate? Even if it's the case of "Well, this is totally fine, but x or y has been translated in an interesting way" I love hearing about these kinds of things and "Vizisms" was always one of my favorite parts of the Manga Reviews.
Everything I spot-checked seemed right on, and Julian never mentioned anything major to me as we went through. I forget the specific example, but even the... what was it... hearing an ant fart from whatever distance? Even that was direct up exact between the two. I think a couple distances (meters/miles) were converted, but that's about it that I could find.
Ok, I figured that was the case. I just love hearing translation tid-bits like the Jaco/Zako pun that was discussed, and was wondering if there were any more that didn't quite translate.