Episode #0003 (04 December 2005)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0003 (04 December 2005)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:00 am

Episode #0003 (download MP3)
45:52; 64 kbps, mono; 20.9 MB

Episode #0003! We talk about the differences and origins of both "Saiya-jin" and "Saiyan", and Viz's confusing use of the Arabic word "djinn" instead of the word "Majin" that we're all familiar with. We also go over the CDs that came out in 2005, including the "Budokai" soundtracks and 2005 remake songs. Finally, we go over December's releases and answer some listener e-mail! Referenced sites: Whee! Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the *three*episodes, now. Even though I was working with a new mic and mixer, I'm not really that fully happy with the sound quality yet. Gotta fiddle around with the output and recording levels a bit. Sounds a bit better to me through headphones than speakers, but your mileage may vary.

w00t w00t.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:35 am

Nice job today, I enjoyed that CD Info. As far the Saiyan Vs.Saiyajin (sorry if that's spelt wrong)...well I am a dubbie, I cannot stop saying Saiyan, I am just the kind of person who will learn as much as I can about the original but in the end still use FUNi terms. :)

Tenka-Ichi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenka-Ichi » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:08 am

Good job once again! As for the saiya-jin, saiyan, 'say'an thing, I find that saiyan just rolls off the tongue a little better than saiya-jin. For that matter, 'say'an rolls off slightly better than saiyan, but it's just completely wrong so... yeah, I'll just go with saiyan.

Also, if you're going to keep tweeking with the audio a bit more, maybe you could even think about having it in stereo, with Mike's voice coming from one speaker and Julian's from the other. Just an idea.

EDIT: And concernig VIZ, it seems to me that they've been going downhill ever since they merged with Showpro.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:06 am

Very enjoyable. I loved the lesson on the Saiya-jin's and I always love hearing things about Viz, even when they are less than positive.

I've purchased "Dragonball Z Volume 23" and found that they typically call him "Boo the Djinn". Just a fun fact there.

Also, regarding your "release dates" for the aforementioned Volume and the Dragonball Movie Box set - I have already seen both in stores (obviously on the first one) so I guess they got out quite a bit early. But all is well that ends well.

The sound quality is quite good, but if you want to improve it, more power to you.

Gamingdevil
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gamingdevil » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:31 am

An other job well done guys, this week's subjects were just as interesting as the last. Keep it up!
Who said life isn't a game?

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:34 pm

Ok, I knew I wasn't crazy when I pointed out in another thread that Funimation didn't create the term 'Saiyan'. :)

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:23 pm

After listening to the last couple podcasts all I can say is Mike you sound a lot different than I imagined. Especially with the attitude you portray on the forums. I know I'm kinda late on saying that.

But keep up the good work. As far as I know youre the only DB related podcast.

Anime_Gamer99

Post by Anime_Gamer99 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:41 pm

You guys are doing a great job keep it up!

Tapion
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Tapion » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:28 pm

The DB movie box-set for $18.13 at Overstock! :shock:

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:12 pm

Tapion wrote:The DB movie box-set for $18.13 at Overstock! :shock:
Yeah... uhh... what about it, though?

Avatar removed. Please re-read the forum rules.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Tapion
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Tapion » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:55 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Very cheap.. :D

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:07 pm

Tapion wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:
Very cheap.. :D
If you only have two words to say, you don't really have anything to say. Again, I'd highly suggest re-reading the forum rules, as noted in my last post.

And with that I bring this thread back to the topic at hand.

Tapion
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Tapion » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:16 pm

Sorry bout that...

Anyway, yes, I noticed this podcast is longer. 8) Way to go, lol..

OozaruGOKU

Post by OozaruGOKU » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:36 pm

what are your reasons for not liking the Viz versions of the DBZ manga?

MajinMetroid
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MajinMetroid » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:41 pm

Another excellent show! Though, this is the first episode where I noticed any audio problems. Firstly, I burned it to a CD and listened to it in my mother's mini-van while on the road so perhaps that was to blame, but it seemed like I could hardly hear Julian and when I turned it up, EX was way too loud. Regardless, it was still very enjoyable.

This might be much much too soon in the lifespan of this thing to start thinking of stuff like this, but I'm gonna ask anyway, ever think about doing an episode on other manga/anime? Perhaps ones that were influenced by Dragonball? The short mention of One Piece in this episode brought this to mind.

Anyways, keep it up. Looking forward to the next one!

[insert_name_here]

Post by [insert_name_here] » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:48 pm

Wow, I thought it was a short 'i' in the word Saiya-jin this whole time. Excellent show. It was the first one I listened to, sorry to say. I need to know something, is there a script to this? The "little minion" at the beginning seems a lot like acting.

OozaruGOKU

Post by OozaruGOKU » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:49 pm

Yeah the show was great. What college do/did you go to? And why dont you like the Viz versions of the DBZ manga?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:02 pm

OozaruGOKU wrote:what are your reasons for not liking the Viz versions of the DBZ manga?
Uhh... did you listen to the episode, at all... ?
[insert_name_here] wrote:I need to know something, is there a script to this? The "little minion" at the beginning seems a lot like acting.
I have a brief outline of things I want to hit over the course of the show, but there's no "script", really. It's all totally real! Dude, we're a reality-podcast!
MajinMetroid wrote:Though, this is the first episode where I noticed any audio problems. Firstly, I burned it to a CD and listened to it in my mother's mini-van while on the road so perhaps that was to blame, but it seemed like I could hardly hear Julian and when I turned it up, EX was way too loud. Regardless, it was still very enjoyable.
Part of the blame is on Julian for forgetting that when he's using the mic on his monitor, he needs to PROJECT HIS VOICE! :P I'm still getting used to the new mic and mixer, but yeah. All totally understood. It sounds a lot better in headphones ^^;;.
MajinMetroid wrote:This might be much much too soon in the lifespan of this thing to start thinking of stuff like this, but I'm gonna ask anyway, ever think about doing an episode on other manga/anime? Perhaps ones that were influenced by Dragonball? The short mention of One Piece in this episode brought this to mind.
I don't know how much I want to specifically say on this, but while we're not going to do a show about "a different anime" just for the sake of doing it, I'm not dismissing what you've just said. I have something in mind. It's a matter of lining someone up for the show and making sure what we have to say is fun to listen to.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:17 am

Yeah, in fact I think you should mention other anime when you can, as long as it's relevant. Think mangaka that are influenced by Dragonball, like "Other artists draw DB". I'd enjoy your thoughts on that.

Overall, great Podcast. I think this one actually surpasses Dream Theater's Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence in length. Err, just a side comment there.

Tenka-Ichi mentioned Stereo sound, and on a semi-related note, I was only getting sound on the right channel when I played it on the iPod... but turns out my headphones are just broken. They're pretty much brand new headphones too, so that's just great.

I'm sure there are many who'd love to be a guest on the show. I think it would be neat, assuming I actually knew anything about the goings-on in the DB universe. I mean, I just get it all from you guys anyway, right? It might also be preferable if I, uh, weren't fifteen. ^^

So, good guests...? Maybe Daimo? Omae? We'll just wait and see.

Random appreciation: I have to say, I really liked the "vegeta-seijin" comment (random guess with my spelling). It was a new train of thought for me, which is always welcome.

...Now I want to hear SaiyaJules singing hikari e.

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:16 am

VegettoEX, I have a question for you. How did you think up such a cool thing to do (the Podcast)?