Episode #0354 (19 January 2014)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0354 (19 January 2014)

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:18 pm

Episode #0354 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version)
46.28; 96 kbps, mono; 32.1 MB

Episode #0354! VegettoEX and Herms discuss all of the rules for the Dragon Balls. Earth and Namek have their own sets, and even "Dragon Ball GT" introduced a third set. Can Shenlong truly grant any wish? Is there a power balance threshold that no dragon can cross? So is it two or three wishes at the end of the series? All these questions and more are answered!

Referenced sites:
  • n/a
Yes: "Who's That Character?!" makes its return... again!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Re: Episode #0354 (19 January 2014)

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:34 pm

I think it may be possible that the time it takes for the Dragon Balls to revive depends on the energy consumed by granting the wish. So, a wish like "I wish for a pair of panties" wouldn't require as long as "I wish for someone to come back to life".

mister yummy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mister yummy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:01 pm

First time I've listened in a while, and also the first time I've used the web based embedded player. When I would pause, it would go back several minutes in the audio, but not change the time stamp. Because of this, after pausing to think about "who's that character?", it started again 15 minutes or so earlier, but i couldn't skip ahead enough to find out. So, I don' know. Can someone tell me who it was? Sounded like
to me, but I'm not sure.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:04 pm

I was actually just thinking about this topic! Have to listen immediately.

But I did notice when Herms mentions the Viz footnote in regards to the "same wish twice" rule... I always assumed that was referring to the deaths of Kuririn and Kame'sennin, not the wish rule.

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:06 pm

I think someone needs to create some quiz app that lets you buy wishes and "upgrade" your initial set of Dragon Balls by the more plus energy you gain from playing!

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:58 am

For the Who's That Character segment, that was definitely

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:11 am

I was always left with the impression that Shenlong originally just didn't grant the same wish twice. I don't think it was a matter of how much energy granting said wish took, as proven by bringing multiple groups back to life, just not people that had been brought back once, as per the original rule. For example, you could ask to bring Kuririn back to life but you couldn't ask the same thing again, even if included in a "bring x group of people back to life" kinda wish. Piccolo asked to be brought back to his youth, but the same wish can still be granted to someone else, (say...Pilaf lol) the same way someone other than Kuririn could still be brought back to life. Just not to Piccolo Daimao again. And no more panties, period.

As far as the creator of the Dragon Balls having the power to bring someone back to life....well...uhm....we do see God bringing Goku back from the world of the dead so, technically, one can say he can do it :P (Although, I have to wonder what kind of agreements and paperwork with Enma this kinda stuff involves. Did Dende tune up the Dragon Balls and go "well, gotta head to Enma's and file these forms for future wishes under the usage of mystical items" ? :lol: )

Polunga not being able to bring Goku back to Earth against his will gets a little awkward. We can make the arguement of that being the case because of Goku being stronger than Polunga's creator, but...pretty sure Vegeta didn't want to leave Namek before. And, speaking of Polunga, why was it necessary to bring Kuririn's soul to Earth? Wasn't his soul in the Other World? They should've been able to just say "Revive him HERE", right?

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:47 am

Rukura wrote:I was always left with the impression that Shenlong originally just didn't grant the same wish twice. I don't think it was a matter of how much energy granting said wish took, as proven by bringing multiple groups back to life, just not people that had been brought back once, as per the original rule. For example, you could ask to bring Kuririn back to life but you couldn't ask the same thing again, even if included in a "bring x group of people back to life" kinda wish.
Right. I always felt there were undoubtedly citizens who were killed by Cell and Buu who never came back to life after the post-Buu revival wish.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:09 pm

B wrote:
Rukura wrote:I was always left with the impression that Shenlong originally just didn't grant the same wish twice. I don't think it was a matter of how much energy granting said wish took, as proven by bringing multiple groups back to life, just not people that had been brought back once, as per the original rule. For example, you could ask to bring Kuririn back to life but you couldn't ask the same thing again, even if included in a "bring x group of people back to life" kinda wish.
Right. I always felt there were undoubtedly citizens who were killed by Cell and Buu who never came back to life after the post-Buu revival wish.
Depending on which set of Dragon Balls brought them back, at the Boo stuff. Wasn't it the Namekians'?
(EDIT: And wasn't that problem fixed on Earth's set, with Dende? I think I'm gonna listen to the podcast again lol)

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:34 am

My main takeaway from this discussion on Dragon Ball rules is "Shenlong is powerful enough to bend the rules of life and death as we know it, but not powerful enough to hurl a giant space rock at Nappa and Vegeta, having them freeze out in the vacuum of space".

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:10 am

Whose that Character?!

Mike and Jake all I got to say is that was dirty lol

I was thinking the clip was too short and no one would get it ...but one user had an answer that seemed promising...so I checked it out myself and yep he or she is 100% correct! That was a "super strong" answer well done :thumbup:

Here's an idea for more variety with the Whose that Character? Maybe do a soundbite of a conversation and we gotta try and name the 2 characters.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:16 am

Kakarot88 wrote:Here's an idea for more variety with the Whose that Character? Maybe do a soundbite of a conversation and we gotta try and name the 2 characters.
Something I've considered doing is just that with a conversation between teenage Gohan and Goku in a very self-serving, disgustingly-obvious-what's-being-done-here showcase of how Nozawa's performances for the characters are completely different even when they're both "adults" and how it's unbelievably easy to tell the difference between them.

But I just ruined that, I guess.

OR DID I.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:42 am

VegettoEX wrote:
Kakarot88 wrote:Here's an idea for more variety with the Whose that Character? Maybe do a soundbite of a conversation and we gotta try and name the 2 characters.
Something I've considered doing is just that with a conversation between teenage Gohan and Goku in a very self-serving, disgustingly-obvious-what's-being-done-here showcase of how Nozawa's performances for the characters are completely different even when they're both "adults" and how it's unbelievably easy to tell the difference between them.

But I just ruined that, I guess.

OR DID I.
Haha that's awesome! Another thing would be splicing two different clips together! :twisted: ...downside is that would take way more time and it'd be so much more difficult, sure you may know the character voices but knowing which scenes they each came from????

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:09 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Something I've considered doing is just that with a conversation between teenage Gohan and Goku in a very self-serving, disgustingly-obvious-what's-being-done-here showcase of how Nozawa's performances for the characters are completely different even when they're both "adults" and how it's unbelievably easy to tell the difference between them.
But then you might have to weep if a lot of people do get it wrong. :P I think I could probably tell the difference between them now, it may depend on the dialogue itself - but thank goodness there's no audio of Future Gohan talking to Goku. I would be at a complete loss there.

Also, I am now a fan of the idea that Namek actually does have it's own god separate from the Elder, who just does absolutely nothing and lets his planet go through multiple hells before finally blowing up. It just gels so perfectly with how ineffective the gods in the series are. :lol:

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:05 pm

Thanks for the great listen. This was exactly the kind of guide I wanted when I asked why there wasn't one a few months ago. This will be a great thing to reference, and I hope the upcoming wiki will have a nice text version as well.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:08 pm

I'm considering doing a full-on text version as a regular guide on the site, as well. It would require a little extra work beyond what Jake's already done, but it's a really helpful jumping point, and far beyond what some of our other half-started projects have going for them.

I just have... uhh... too many other things I've committed to first...!

Prassy90

Post by Prassy90 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:59 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Episode #0354 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version)
46.28; 96 kbps, mono; 32.1 MB

Episode #0354! VegettoEX and Herms discuss all of the rules for the Dragon Balls. Earth and Namek have their own sets, and even "Dragon Ball GT" introduced a third set. Can Shenlong truly grant any wish? Is there a power balance threshold that no dragon can cross? So is it two or three wishes at the end of the series? All these questions and more are answered!

Referenced sites:
  • n/a
Yes: "Who's That Character?!" makes its return... again!
In episode 192 of the anime, shenron says he will grant two wishes soon after he is summoned. Can someone tell me if this is not a translation error cause if it isnt then the three wish upgrade could have only been done during the 7 year period after the cell saga.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:21 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I'm considering doing a full-on text version as a regular guide on the site, as well. It would require a little extra work beyond what Jake's already done, but it's a really helpful jumping point, and far beyond what some of our other half-started projects have going for them.

I just have... uhh... too many other things I've committed to first...!
That full-on text version would be a welcomed sight for me. I listened to this podcast and did try very hard to concentrate on what was being said (was cooking as well) but I just couldn't keep up with all the differences and variable changes in the use of the Dragon Balls. I think I have to give this podcast another listen very soon because the premise is fantastic! Please finish your other obligations fast and write this guide for the website Mike!