Episode #0006 (25 December 2005)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0006 (25 December 2005)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:26 am

Episode #0006 (download MP3)
57:28; 64 kbps, mono; 26.3 MB

Episode #0006! For our special Christmas episode, we sit around and... tell embarassing stories! Ever wonder just what VegettoEX, Julian, and Meri used to think as totally newbie fans? Here's your chance to laugh at our expense, and learn some of our dirty little secrets! Referenced sites: Special guests: Us! (Mike, Julian, Meri)

Whee! Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the *six*episodes, now. This was a really fun episode to record. There's nothing we like more then making asses of ourselves. We'll be back to a regular-style episode next week, but I can guarantee that you'll have as equal of a blast listening to the episode!

Merry Christmas, everyone! Enjoy!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:52 am

Yay! *Goes to download to listen to it on the huge soundblasters that covers the whole house :p*

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:40 pm

Nice cast, enjoyed it very much. Quality has taken a plateau for my ears.

Hey, if Julian is re-designing Daizenshuu EX, I suggest you bump up to the times more with PHP usage. If you want some tips on the language (or a free coder) you should contact me~! :roll: :wink:

Anyway, nice history re-cap. Oh, and lest I forget... ROSHI~! I WANT MORE ROSHI!!!111

Roshi must replace Julian!! I command such!

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:58 pm

So who was it doing Master Roshi?

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:47 pm

I believe that was Vegetto...and that was SO much better than my Roshi impression XD

Thanks a lot for doing an episode for Christmas, I gotta few kicks out of that, and it actually reminded me a lot of my own embarassing Dragonball stories. Hope you guys have a Merry Christmas!

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:22 pm

I must say, that Roshi nearly fooled me into believing that was the actual English dub Roshi voice. XD

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:06 am

Tsukento wrote:I must say, that Roshi nearly fooled me into believing that was the actual English dub Roshi voice. XD
It was that damn good. Mike sure knows how to give us the goods for these casts. XD

Also, a follow-up to my last post:
Next episode you need to get Steven J. Simmons/Diamao on the recording!! I am sure he would work most excellently for the next, and or future casts, as someone who is both a fan, as well as a provider of the content we're fans of in a true form within the industry.
Like Roshi, he must appear~!

Socar15
Beyond Newbie

Post by Socar15 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:17 am

I would have to agree, the Roshi was marvelous (maybe we'll even get a visit from some other DB characters at some point :D )

And having Steven J. Simmons on the show would be an awesome treat. I bet there are a ton of great discussions to be had.

Some of those stories reminded me of past experiences. Oh the stories I could tell...

Anyway, good job as usual, keep up the good work.

t-bone135
Beyond Newbie
Location: Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement of the house half a block down. . .

Post by t-bone135 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:55 am

Well, it certainly wasn't a duel voice, but that Roshi thing certainly made me jump out of my skin (in a good way, I mean, as good as jumping out of your skin can be. I mean, forget it. :) ) That was a scary-good impersonation. It would be interesting if that sort of weird intro could happen more often (kind of like the zanny Simpsons walk-ins or the chalkboard; you never know which one you'll see, or in this case hear.)

All in all, it was a surprisingly good episode. You guys had some . . . interesting stories to tell.

What was the name of that song that was at the very end? I thought it was really cool and I would like to know what it's name is so I can look it up in the music database. Also, the CD it was on would help, too. Thanks, and I am looking forward to the next exciting episode of Daizenshuu EX: The Podcast!
Best. Slip 'n' slide. EVER!

Come read my fan-fiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/~tbone135

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:52 pm

t-bone135 wrote:What was the name of that song that was at the very end? I thought it was really cool and I would like to know what it's name is so I can look it up in the music database. Also, the CD it was on would help, too.
It's the 4th (and final) closing theme to DBGT, "Sabitsuita Mashingan de Ima o Uchinukô" ("Let’s Blast Through This Moment with a Rusted Machinegun"). It can be found on its own respective CD single.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

t-bone135
Beyond Newbie
Location: Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement of the house half a block down. . .

Post by t-bone135 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:21 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
t-bone135 wrote:What was the name of that song that was at the very end? I thought it was really cool and I would like to know what it's name is so I can look it up in the music database. Also, the CD it was on would help, too.
It's the 4th (and final) closing theme to DBGT, "Sabitsuita Mashingan de Ima o Uchinukô" ("Let’s Blast Through This Moment with a Rusted Machinegun"). It can be found on its own respective CD single.
Thanks a lot, VegettoEX. And hey, your screen name is more original then mine, just so you know. :P
Best. Slip 'n' slide. EVER!

Come read my fan-fiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/~tbone135

M-Vegeta
Beyond Newbie

Post by M-Vegeta » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:23 pm

Nice. Nice. Nice.

This PODcast brought back good memories of me being introduced to DBZ.

I had seen Dragonball Z here and there, mostly in the back of EGM magazine where they sold import DBZ figures. But those Sunday mornings were my official introduction, when they showed it once a week around 5 A.M., and I believe Saban did the show. Anyway, I was amazed to finally see the show on the air because I could get a taste of what these odd looking figures were all about. And somehow ... I knew Dragonball Z was popular in Japan.

I got on-line using a 28.8 connection and searched for dragonball z stuff. DBZ Uncensored and VegettoEX Homepage are what I most remember from that time. Once I read how much the show was censored, I began downloading clips, watching it streaming, or listening to short WAV. files, which I believe I got from VegettoEX. My first memories were mostly of Furiza saying something it Japanese ... and then Kullilin yelling. :lol:

I remember your "Gokou" days! I would even copy and paste your spelling because "VegettoEX owned a homepage and was the all knowing American kid when it came to DBZ". At message boards you felt special or somehow superior knowing about the Japanese version over the "American version".

My first fansubs were Movie 12, Trunks Special, some Furiza episodes ... and then I pretty much gave up on it. Mostly due to waiting 3 months for a tape ... or bad tradders, you name it.

Fun episode! I love hearing about the early days of Dragonball.

Nice to hear Meri contribute more on this episode, also!

*EDIT*
Looks like you censore your old spelling "Go-kou." :lol:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:23 pm

Wow, I actually feel young fandom-wise compaired to how long you guys have been fans. I started in the summer of 2000 during the final repeat of season 2 right before season 3 came out.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:04 pm

DBZ started airing on CN in... 97, right? That's when I really got hooked. I'd caught a few episodes before, on ABC when it was on really early on Saturdays, but CN was the first time I saw something other than the Namek Saga. I do have to thank ABC though, the eps I caught there made me want to check it out on CN.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:11 pm

Man, this reminds me of my early days of fandom. Like Meri I was introduced around 1994 or 95 whenever the first FUNI Dragonball dub of the Pilaf saga was airing. I had a little bit different a reaction, assuming it was some 80s cartoon in reruns. I'd been, and still am, a fan of 80s cartoons. So I took well into it. Granted I WAS right, but I did not know that this English version was "new" - so much so that I became shocked when I expressed my fandom to friends at school. Shocked to hear all about Dragon Ball Z. I was told of some evil villain named "Sal" (I'm pretty sure he meant Cell) who supposedly killed Krillin (who I knew nothing of) and Goku. I'm unsure if this friend mislead me on purpose, or was just stupid, but he taught me many misnomers. Supposedly Goku's father showed up and tried to help everyone! I asked if he meant Goku's grandfather, since I knew of Grandpa Gohan from the dub. Alas no, I was mistaken it was his true father who was an alien! Man did I get confused. But it was about to get even worse.

By the time I saw the 1996 early morning DBZ runs (I only survived through Raditz before I gave up trying to catch it sadly, once a week and way too early became hard to keep up with) the misinformation became even worse. I was told and believed that Piccolo was an adult Emperor Pilaf! I went on believing these things until at last they released the VHS tapes of the show - I bought up both two seasons (this was before CN was airing, or some of it into it a bit). I watched "the entire show" and became "wiser". That was before I went online and became a rambling idiot. I heard like everyone else of the Japanese versions purity and the censoring on the English version. I came to even make a website around 1997 with two high school friends (ah the joys of being a stupid freshman) – and all we did was post rumors and stupid shit. Thank god its gone to the sands of the web. Unless someone can find it on the web archive, but I doubt anyone knows the URL of “Dragon Ball Trio”. I went through the CN airings hoping they’d continue the story and soon came to find the Viz manga. Finding it uncut made me happy and IU bought several random comics of it. That is, before shonen jump they had comic sized releases of DB and DBZ, at first I became repulsed (WHAT?! No color?! Backwards!). But the lure of it being uncut glued me to it. I even then became dragon ball crazy pants, collecting the entire set of DB manga and even hunting down the VHS’s. \

I became so crazy that I repeatedly emailed FUNimation asking them to do more of Dragon Ball (and before they did Z). When sleeping Princess in Devils Castle came, I bought it in no time flat and went crazy thinking I’d changed their path to finish the back-story first. Yeaaahhh I was a bit retarded and bullheaded. No, make that a lot. I became happy to see Krillin’s introduction, or so I thought, the voices were eeeh, but I was okay with it. I heard the new Z season was to have new Vas and I cheered – at the time hoping they’d pick a better Freeza VA. The horror of the first VHS release (which I bought way too fast) – caused my friends and I to go so crazy that one friend went and deleted the entire website (to this day he claims he was on drugs though). I watched anyway as I didn’t really know where to find fansubs. I watched straight through to the end of the Cell saga, at which time I got a DVD player for Christmas, one I’d asked for precisely for the bilingual DVDs.

I was hooked right away by them, and even to this day haven’t seen the end of Majin Buu because I’d vowed to never watch DBZ dubbed again (though I broke the promise later I never watched all of Buu, still need the last 2 sets).

Heck I believe I even idolized Mike so much that I wrote my own (poorly done) editorials about why FUNimation sucked, using the “frothing glass of water” image as proof and said some other stupid shit. If someone can find that old stupid ass site on the web archive, I salute your courage to read the crap I wrote back then.

ANYWAY thanks, Mike, Julian, and Meri, for allowing me to remember my stupid DB/Z early fandom days too.
-Laserkid

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:36 am

LMAO. That was some funny stuff. Esspecially the "Gokou" thing, that truly kept me laughing the whole time.

Also, I would like to share one of my more embarassing n00b Fandom moments.

I am a fan of Future Trunks & I've always thought that USSJ looks cool. Well back almost 4 years ago (when I first got into DBZ), someone told me that there was a USSJ Vegito & showed me a Screencap they took off of an old Fansub, it was from the same scene as this:

& I believed it. :lol:
[b]Vegito:[/b] What do you call a Goku & a Vegeta? Gogeta sounds nice.
[b]Toriyama:[/b] *wak*

[i]"I wanna go to Filler Hell when I die."-Me[/i]

M-Vegeta
Beyond Newbie

Post by M-Vegeta » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:46 pm

laserkid wrote:I was hooked right away by them, and even to this day haven’t seen the end of Majin Buu because I’d vowed to never watch DBZ dubbed again (though I broke the promise later I never watched all of Buu, still need the last 2 sets).

Heck I believe I even idolized Mike so much that I wrote my own (poorly done) editorials about why FUNimation sucked, using the “frothing glass of water” image as proof and said some other stupid shit. If someone can find that old stupid ass site on the web archive, I salute your courage to read the crap I wrote back then.

ANYWAY thanks, Mike, Julian, and Meri, for allowing me to remember my stupid DB/Z early fandom days too.
Same here about Majin Buu. I have yet to see it, and refused to watch the dub. I quit watching half way through Cell ... and only came back to watch the butchering of Gohan's SSJ2 transformation ... then leave again. Besides which, I'm holding off on seeing all of DBZ, I guess I don't want it to end. Same goes for Dragonball, I've only seen 20 or so episodes.

I idolized VegettoEX when I was younger. I guess that idolization has turned into respect and admiration. From keeping Dragonball going, maintaining interest, striving to keep the site fresh with new content for 7-8 years now. I don't know how he does it, can't be easy.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:06 am

-Kushami? What was this about?

-My first sub was movie 12 from a friend. After that I got a fansub of the Bardock and Trunks specials. Then I slowly got the other movies.

-"I used to hate...HATE VegettoEX before meeting and dating him!" :lol:
Why did everybody hate you back then, EX? Was it the whole PN/DaizEX rivalry bit?

-"We went out to meet each other, and we didn't even know what each other looks like!" :lol:

-The Otaku Sisters? So did your sister work at all on ToT or am I remembering her from the OS then?

-How can you forget DBcollection?!

-"I don't know why I don't like fanfics."
It's because there's never been a fanfic written in Toriyama's style.

-"VegettoEX comes from Vegetto and SFEX."
I actually knew that! :D

-"Did you ever make a 15 second video?"
Would that be the one where Piccolo sings the "I'm a cucumber!" song? :P

-...Is next week's episode about Vegeta/Vegita/Vejeta/Vejita/Bejeta/Bejita/Begeta/Bejita and his rivalry to Goku and/or the rumor about them being half-brothers?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:01 am

Dayspring wrote:-Kushami? What was this about?
http://www.daizex.com/guides/rumors/cha ... html#lunch
Dayspring wrote:-"I used to hate...HATE VegettoEX before meeting and dating him!" :lol:
Why did everybody hate you back then, EX? Was it the whole PN/DaizEX rivalry bit?
Was there a rivalry? Not really. Back then we kinda did our own things. I wasn't so much into the "information" aspect. I really have no idea why people hated me. It wasn't just me, though. Anyone of prominence was hated... I think I just got the brunt of it because I spoke out more than anyone else.

In all honesty, though... all that stuff is *soooo* far removed from me now, that I don't even really remember any of it. If it's before Julian joined, I probably don't remember it. The site has just evolved into something so amazing, that it's almost like anything previous was just irrelevant, and its only purpose was to get me where I am today. I don't really remember any specific names (real or online), I don't remember any circumstances, I don't remember anything that was said, etc. It's kinda bizarre. But it's certainly nice :).
Dayspring wrote:-"I don't know why I don't like fanfics."
It's because there's never been a fanfic written in Toriyama's style.
I dunno. The whole thing just doesn't click with me. And I know that's totally hypocritical because one of the things I like to do and intrigues me most about AMVs is taking things in the show that aren't explored as well as they could have been and going in-depth with them, or just totally taking things out of context and creating a new story out of them. *shrugs*
Dayspring wrote:-"Did you ever make a 15 second video?"
Would that be the one where Piccolo sings the "I'm a cucumber!" song? :P
That was Kwasek of More Than Toast.

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:11 am

Dayspring wrote: -The Otaku Sisters? So did your sister work at all on ToT or am I remembering her from the OS then?
My sister only helped with the Feature Films and the "History of Trunks" video presentation (yep, this was BEFORE FUNi renamed the TV Special to the "History of Trunks,"... I'm wondering if they took that name from my site), and that was all. The Otaku Sisters was a short-lived project consisting of different sections (DBZ, Sailor Moon, etc) with stolen internet pictures of shows. It never went beyond the DBZ section, and my sister didn't really help out with it, as she was only about 12 at the time. :D