Episode #0364 (04 July 2014)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Episode #0364 (04 July 2014)

Post by Hujio » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:12 am

It's been about a week since the podcast has come out and I wanted to give most people a chance to comment before I address a few things (and I've even been debating about addressing them). A lot of what I'm about to say is mostly internal to Kanzenshuu -- things we don't normally publicly discuss, because frankly we don't like to talk about these things.

I won't go into to great detail, but I've seen numerous comments from people (not just here on our forums) that now FUNimation finally knows we exist, or at least knows who we are. That really couldn't be farther from the truth. They know we exist just as much as we know they exist. We're not blind to each other, we just don't make our interactions very public. They invented e-mail for a reason, right? I'd ballpark that about 90% of our interaction with FUNimation is behind closed doors. But honestly, most everything we do or discuss with other parties is done in this fashion. It's just how we operate, and most things are just never meant for public consumption.

As Mike said at the beginning of the podcast, we've never had anyone from FUNimation on the podcast besides Steven Simmons, and I know many of you were even quite shocked at seeing we actually interviewed them. To be perfectly candid, we've opted not to do interviews with them in the past because there was never anything to be gained from performing them. We've had numerous in-house discussions about it too, but we've never been able to justify it in the past and we weren't going to do it just to say we did or could. And for anyone thinking we didn't enjoy the interview, well, I don't know what to tell you besides it was awesome. Although I admit it is hard to sense it sometimes in the interview, but I'd say it's mostly be because we were trying to remain professional, and I know I laughed a lot away from the mic.

Anyway, that's enough in-house stuff, but I really hope everyone enjoyed listening to the podcast as much as we enjoyed recording all of it. To be quite candid, I'm still a little verklempt about it all. I know none of you got to hear it, but I really appreciated everything that was said to us off-the-record after the interview, especially from Chris Sabat. It meant a lot. :cry:

Also, a huge thanks to Kendamu and Castor Troy for covering the red carpet event! I had originally planned on flying out for a single day, just for that, and crashing at Josh's place, but things fell through and I couldn't make it out to L.A. So I'm glad they were able to go for us, which brings a big thanks to Rojas for working it all out thru the 140 character limitation on Twitter. But yeah, they did an absolutely superb job, so my hat's off to them, and everyone should be sure to send them a gracious thank you. Also, another thanks to Rojas for getting them thru security for us. :wink:
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:35 pm

I figured it was somethin along the lines with that when it came to the joking around. If you guys ever do another interview like this, I'd love to see what kind of questions/answers you could get with them! But, the fact that I have a chance to Battle of Gods 10 minutes fom my house is surreal. I like both the dub and Japanese versions! So, should be great for me as a fan to get to watch an (mostly) accurate dub with 1 of the 2 casts I love! I'll probably pull a VegettoEX and buy as many releases of BoG as possible. Do plan on getting the Latino, Brasilian, and some of the Asian releases (already own the Japanese one) and the US release when it's out. I love checking out as many dubs of anything as I can. Languages in general interest me to no end.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:41 am

On "God of Destruction" vs "Destroyer", I just saw the preview for the dub (in a theater!) and Beerus actually does refer to himself as "God of Destruction" once. So apparently they do use the full term at least once or twice, unless that dialogue's limited to the preview for some reason. Anyway, they use the word "god" countless times in the preview and of course they're still calling the movie "Battle of Gods". They're obviously not trying to skate around the very concept of gods like the dub did in the past, so I can't really complain.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.