Episode #0372 (18 January 2015)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0372 (18 January 2015)

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:16 pm

Episode #0372 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version)
70:17; 96 kbps, mono; 48.5 MB

Episode #0372! VegettoEX and Julian discuss the top Dragon Ball news stories from 2014, along with a couple of their own picks. How did we do with our predictions from last year, and what do we see on the horizon for 2015?

Referenced sites:
QUICK. SOMEONE REMIND US HOW TO DO A PODCAST. WE FORGOT.

Apologies on the weird Julian clicking obnoxiousness during his predictions segment. He went Robo-Julian last year during the exact same thing. Cursed, I tell you.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Re: Episode #0372 (18 January 2015)

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:28 pm

So glad to have the podcast back. Desperately needed my fix. :lol:

I'd forgotten so much of what happened in 2014, particularly the earlier months. With all of the Battle of Gods stuff flying around, I still get a lot of events that happened in 2013 mixed up with last year and vice-versa. I think unanimously, one of the biggest stories for the English-speaking fandom was the theatrical release of BOG. Regardless of what sort of fan you were, everyone was going out to see it and the hype and feedback surrounding it all was 99.9% positive. It's so rare to see an American release that we were all on-board for.

2015 looks set to be a massive year (I'm off to university!) and I'm actually really looking forward to seeing what FUNimation has in store for us. With their Blu-Rays for Z all done and dusted, it'll be interesting to see what they come up with next. Will we see the new film on our English-speaking shores this year? Is 20th Century Fox actually out of the picture now? I haven't seen their name on anything to do with the new movie...

On the Kanzenshuu side of things, I'm sure you don't need reminding, but...10th Year Anniversary and the 400th episode are both on the horizon. Anything in mind? I'd take another 3 hour-plus clip show. :P

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:27 am

Wow, you're right, I didn't notice til you mentioned that 20th Century FOX is missing this time around. Interesting. :shock:

Predictions:
I also want blue-haired ssjg Vegeta, because why not? :mrgreen:
Blue flames are literally, temperature-wise hotter than yellow ones.
It's that magenta-lighting-on-Gokû, blue-lighting-on-Vegeta on the dragonball2015 page; it could mean nothing, it could mean their ssjg forms' respective hair-colors and that they'll make an appearance. Image

I'm gonna say:
-we get both ssjg Vegeta (w/blue hair) and the return of ssjg Gokû in F desu.
-Trunks and Goten will be revealed in February, and they'll actually look their ages this time.
-Gokû and Vegeta are Whis' students (hence the symbol) and are rooming together on Beerus' planet while they train to become strong enough to eventually travel in semi-safety to the other universes
-we will see toddler Pan and baby Bra
-in an effort to save money, Sorbet and Tagoma are not stunt-casted like the fish, policewoman, and sushi chef were, but are instead voiced by relatively new voice actors in the industry.
-F's animation will disappoint, but the entertaining story will mostly-redeem it on the whole.
-Freeza gets sealed away in the end; trapped ala Garlic Jr or Piccolo Daimao. Perhaps in a mini-fridge.

In other areas:
-Kai wraps up, gets replaced with a non-Dragon-Ball-show (pick a Weekly Jump property that's new and popular enough to earn a 2-cour series and there you go).
-Heroes gets a 3rd 3DS game. Still no ports of it or Zenkai Battle Royale
-F gets a home release in Japan in late October/early November.
-Julian wins a pre-screening ticket to one of the F showings he's sending in entries for.
-U.S. theater limited release and home releases for F happen earlier than they did with BOG.
-Cinecom Walker for this month ultimately doesn't have any new F info, but February's issue of both Cinecom and VJump finally deliver on plot-updates.
-I continue to wonder why there just isn't much ssjg Gokû merch, but ultimately my wallet is grateful this is the case.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:30 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Is 20th Century Fox actually out of the picture now? I haven't seen their name on anything to do with the new movie...
They're listed as "partners in distribution" in the credits that are up on the official movie site. I think it's safe to say they're still involved.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:04 am

SaiyaJedi wrote:
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Is 20th Century Fox actually out of the picture now? I haven't seen their name on anything to do with the new movie...
They're listed as "partners in distribution" in the credits that are up on the official movie site. I think it's safe to say they're still involved.
Oh, wow. Really? I completely missed that. How come their logo hasn't appeared on anything? Like at the start of the trailer or something? :think: I wonder if we'll ever receive an official explanation of this whole situation.

By the way, I was surprised you guys didn't have more to say on the trailer. Has the excitement already been and gone in the past month and the reality of the upcoming workload's started to set in? Or has the novelty of a new movie worn off slightly since we're just coming off BOG? I thought Mike would be gushing over the thought of hearing more from Ryusei Nakao. :P I suppose we don't have that much to go off just yet.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:19 pm

I think I know why we hear robo-Julian on every predictions episode. He's from the future, and he comes back each year to make "predictions" based on what he already knows to be true (of course, he intentionally gets some of the details wrong, or else it'd be too suspicious). Well played, robot from the future, but I'm onto your tricks! :wink:

As I did in 2013, I'm going to make the (likely incorrect) prediction that the new Dragon Ball movie will reach (English-speaking) North America this year. With some of the Latin American countries having it at the same time as Japan, I have some hope that Funimation will be able to get it more quickly. But since Fox is still involved, they could prove to be a factor in the release being delayed :problem: