The idea of using reference is a very tricky one. All the time at the effects studio I was at (Weta Digital, hoo-rah), we're told to start our animations with reference for it to be as best as it can possibly be. This can be filming ourselves in the reference room, or it can be using existing footage of, say, someone's dance performance. One shot I worked on for a film last year had a piece of artillery firing, and I used reference of the real-life object doing that. Well, isn't that the animation version of tracing? Is copying a gymnast's Olympic performance for an animation considered plagiarizing their hard work? When a manga artist traces over a picture of a gun to make a hyper-realistic depiction, how creatively fulfilling and progressive is that when the gun looks like a CAD drawing and the character holding it appears stylized? Me animating for a film could be excused as it being for a commercial product, but then isn't that what the DBS manga is as well to some extent?
"What is a reference, a homage?"
For me, the answer to that is that it's done with the intent that a viewer/reader pick up on the call-back to another work in a positive manner, respectfully as Jeff says. If something was plagarized, the author's intent is that the audience not
find this out as it wasn't done as a respectful nod. Which is what makes the difference between copying a Captain Marvel cover and intentionally mimicking the cover of Action Comics #1.
In the discussion of the artist, I'd say that for really big artists such as Toriyama, there doesn't have to be a name there for you to know who drew it, and by that same measure I'd say that there are a certain number of fans who'll buy something just because their favourite artists did it.
And now here's how I did at the quiz!
- 300 BP: What was the reason Kame-sen'nin gave the Kinto'un to Goku? A reward for helping Turtle get back home.
- 300 BP: From whom did Goku receive the Nyoi-bo as a child? Grandpa Gohan!
- 500 BP: When Goku first appears in the Tenkaichi Budokai, how old does he say he is? Twelve! He originally thought he was fourteen until Launch taught him how to count (at least in the FUNi dub, my point of familiarity
- 300 BP: What did Goku think that a bride was? In the FUNI dub, something you eat!
- 500 BP (I'm assuming, Julian doesn't actually say): The Kaio-Ken Goku uses against Frieza was up to how many times? Ten! I remember because Super Saiyan was originally stated to be a x10 multiplier, until it was pointed out that it means Goku was no more powerful than when he used the 10x Kaio-Ken, which was barely effective. So SS was changed to x50 in later editions. FUCK it was twenty!
- 500 BP: With what line does Goku send off Majin Buu when he defeats him? "See ya later!"
- 300 BP: Who made the dogi that Gohan used on planet Namek? Gohan!
- 500 BP (I'm assuming): After the battle with Frieza, what was the reason Gohan hesitated in returning home? He hadn't done his homework while on Namek like Chi-Chi told him to!
- 500 BP: What is the number written on the side of Trunk's Time Machine? 1!
- 300 BP: When Trunks emerged from the Room of Spirit and Time, how had his appearance changed? His hair got longer! I'm pretty sure he was a bit taller too, as Bulma notes.
- 300 BP: The tens years after the battle with Buu, who was going to be Trunks' opponent in the first round of the Tenkaichi Budokai? The flagrantly homosexual YMCA man with a mustache! I think I get half points for that because I didn't know the name.
- 500 BP: In his first Tenkaichi Budokai as a child, who was his opponent in the first round? The smaller son of that stupid annoying fat lady from Alabama. Again, half-points.
- 300 BP: When training Gohan, Piccolo gave him clothes and what? A sword!
- 500 BP: At the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai, please select all of Piccolo's opponents. Krillin, Shen (Kami) and Son Goku!
- 300 BP: After merging with Kami, what did Goku call him when first seeing him? Kamiccolo!
- 300 BP: What was the reason for Piccolo's first-round loss at the Tenkaichi Budokai again Shin? He forfeited like a bitch due to Shin's overwhelming Grand Kai aura.
- 500 BP: What was the first opponent Piccolo fought after leaving the Room of Spirit and Time in the Cell Arc? A Cell Jr.
- 300 BP: While training for the Artificial Humans, Vegeta trained in gravity chamber. How many times did he reach? x100, just like Goku on his way to Namek. Oops, WRONG!
- 300 BP: Which ear did Vegeta put the Potara in when he fused with Goku? His left! I know from the second Final Chapter eyecatch with the sweet jazz. NOPE! The positions were flipped in the actual show, I forgot about that.
- 500 BP: After fighting with Goku on Earth, in the space ship, where was Vegeta headed? Frieza planet number something, to get healed. Hospital world? No that was GT.
- 300 BP: In Frieza's first form, what was his battle power? 500,000! NOPE!
- 300 BP: What was the only technique that Frieza showed off in his third form? Invisible finger lasers? CLOSE ENOUGH I'LL TAKE IT
- 500 BP: In his final form, what did Frieza say to Goku that really pissed him off? "I think the brat should be next" in the FUNi Kai dub. A threat towards Gohan. NO WAIT, IT WAS A BACK-HANDED INSULT TOWARDS KRILLIN! Dammit.
- 500 BP: When trying to trick #18 with #17's voice... okay, I legit cannot answer that question because Mike interrupted Julian like a cheating cheaty cheater. But I would have said that it was #17 talking to Gero in a respectful manner that tipped #18 off, so I'll take full points for that.
- 300 BP: How many Cell Jr.? Six? Seven apparently, who did I miss?
- 500 BP: In the Cell Games, according to the rules, what constitutes a loss? Falling outside the ring, death or forfeit, although the first one gets ruled out when Cell destroys the ring like a coward.
- 300 BP: What did Mr. Satan present to Majin Buu in the form of chocolate? Poison I think. If it was Julian's one, I would have said the Game BOY, not POY. So 150 on that one.
- What is the name of the super star actor that-... dammit Mike!
- What is the method that Majin Buu used to counter the powered-up Gohan? Absorbsion! WRONG.
- 300 BP: What did Majin Buu turn Chi-Chi into? An egg! He stepped on it and traumatized Goten, one of my favourite moments in the series for it's tragic tone.
- 500 BP: There were three people who were not hit by the Total Extinction Wave? Dende, Mr. Satan and Bee the dog. Who isn't a person, so Tenshinhan! I consider the question confusing, should have said Human Beings. 375 points.
- 500 BP: In the first Chapter, what was Bulma planning to get with her wish on the Dragon Balls? A boyfriend!
- 100 BP: What technique did Kame-Sen'nin use to put out the fire on Mount Frypan? The Kamehameha Wave!
- 500 BP: For what purpose was Kame-Sen'nin using the Basho-sen? As a placemat! I'll count that.
- What is the kanji written on Pilaf's clothes? Rice I think. Darnit.
- 300 BP: How heavy are the turtle shells initially worn by Goku and Kuririn? 50 pounds. They get upgraded to 100 pounds after the first day. Okay I'm gonna give myself that one because that's their weight in the FUNi dub.
- What is the name of the technique Nam uses against Goku? Shoot I dunno, I don't think it's ever mentioned in the dub.
- 500 BP: Which one of these colours is NOT used by members of the Red Ribbon Army? Green.
- What is the indian food that is the basis for Chappa-o, King Chappa? No idea.
- What is the pun behind the name of Kibito? No idea.
- 300 BP: Murasaki used his Bunsingnojitsu (sp?). Which one was the real one? ALL OF THEM.
- 300 BP: How many hairs are on Chaotzu's head? ONE!
- What is the name of the island Goku swims from to get to the 22nd Budokai? DAMMIT I KNOW THIS BUT CAN'T REMEMBER! Yahoi! Man they kept that in the dub!
- 300 BP: What is the true identity of the masked man who tries but fails to get a spot in the 23rd Budokai? Yajirobe!
- 500 BP: In the Namek Arc, what star ball is the Dragon Ball that was in the Great Elder's house? The One Star Ball!
- Goku's house in a remote mountain village is East what number district? 37? 24?
I gots a Battle Power of 12,200!
Man I wish there was a video feed for Meri's freak out on the Trunks question!