Episode #0447 (24 June 2018)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0447 (24 June 2018)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:48 pm

Episode #0447 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version) (SoundCloud version)
56:30; 96 kbps, mono; 39.0 MB

Episode #0447! Mike, Meri, and Jeff continue onward in the "Dragon Ball GT Review of Awesomeness" to cover "Dragon Ball GT" episodes 28-31! Though our heroic trio returns from space with the Ultimate Dragon Balls, all hope is lost when they find Baby has infected and enslaved the entire population of Earth. Who can possible take on Baby now?!

SEGMENTS:
  • 00:13 - Introduction
  • 01:42 - News
  • 06:03 - Topic
  • 44:30 - Wrap-up
REFERENCED SITES: See you next time for episodes 32-35!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Episode #0447 (24 June 2018)

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:03 pm

Great episode! I agreed with a lot of what was said, especially the board game bit. Mike actually had a pretty good memory there: an early GT episode showed how unreliable Goku’s Instant Transmission is as a kid, warping him to random places in the local area.

On the singular Baby entity, what Mike is missing here is that Baby is Baby, the one Baby being that we’ve seen since Dr. Myuu’s tank is Baby and that’s him. When he lays eggs inside of people it makes them evil and agree with him no matter what, but they are NOT Baby. Bulma cannot transform like Baby-Vegeta can because she is not directly possessed by Baby.

For those wondering, at 50 minutes Mike’s referencing the intro to the original English dub of OG Dragon Ball (which isn't on Spotify anymore, weird).

General Thoughts
I really liked episode 28; I thought it was a nice cooldown episode and yet had a fair amount of foreboding about it. In particular I liked the connection you see between Goku and Pan near the end. Goku felt like he truly cared about Pan and more than ever that made him feel like an actual parent.

Personally I didn’t really see that much wrong with Pan’s writing in the return to Earth episode. I think she’s justifiably proud because they just crossed half the galaxy getting these things and they succeeded in that task. It’s typical “we got the Dragon Balls!” behaviour to me.

Goku turning SS3 in Ep29 to me is a clear example of one of GT’s presentational problems: in DBZ going Super Saiyan 3 was a monumental event that rendered him faster than any perception and sucked up almost all of his energy. Here, it appears like a normal state and Goku’s fighting is incredibly generic; it doesn’t change compared to his fighting not 20 seconds ago. The choreography, camerawork and actual storytelling just isn’t there to really sell the scale of the fight, or SS3, so it just doesn’t work. The speed is normal, there’s no drama about it, and Goku doesn’t even get appreciably tired like he did in DBZ. It’s pretty clear that it’s only there to set up Goku requiring to go to SS4 to defeat Baby.

For all of the script changes, I like how Baby is being hypocritical in his approach. He claims to come from a peaceful race and is enacting revenge on the Saiyans, and yet he’s going to turn the Tuffles into a warrior race. It’s like he doesn’t ACTUALLY care about the Tuffles and is instead using his race’s past as a Freudian Excuse to be evil.

The whole board game thing with Sugoro felt like a complete waste of time. Considering Goku’s exit from here was the same as how he was rescued the first time, and that Sugoro and his son only appear for like four shots, I think that bit was added to pad out an extra episode or two. As will be clear a bit later though, they annoyingly have some MINOR contributions to SS4 later on.

jpranevich
Beyond Newbie

Post by jpranevich » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:41 pm

Will you be including the DBGT special in your review (originally aired between 41 & 42)? I suppose you could skip it entirely or save it for the end as well.

In so far as you will be out of "awesomeness" in a year or so ("or so" being the key phrase...), I hope you will consider a "Movie Review of Awesomeness" as your next collaborative project. I think it would be great fun to go through the various DB & DBZ films at a leisurely pace. I've been rewatching them (just started "Tree of Might") and while they are... er... inconsistent, they are a great non-manga chapter of the Dragon Ball story which might be worth pushing a newbie through.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:17 pm

The GT TV special review will be roughly where it was originally broadcast, yeah. It will be its own podcast episode.

I have my own thoughts on what to do post-GT (and it was in fact something I considered post-manga, but we did GT instead)... but I dunno if anyone else would be willing to do it. We'll see :).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:00 pm

EXCITE! Can't wait to see what the next part is!