Episode #0448 (01 July 2018)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0448 (01 July 2018)

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:46 am

Episode #0448 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version) (SoundCloud version)
44:39; 96 kbps, mono; 30.8 MB

Episode #0448! Mike, Julian, and Jake provide a brief history of "Dragon Ball Heroes" before diving into a review of the first "Super Dragon Ball Heroes" promotional anime episode. We've had plenty of TV series, movies, OVAs, and other special features; how does this one hold up, and what do we think the future holds?

SEGMENTS:
  • 00:13 - Introduction
  • 02:31 - Topic Part 1 ("Dragon Ball Heroes" history)
  • 17:28 - Topic Part 2 (Promotional Anime episode review)
  • 40:40 - Wrap-up
REFERENCED SITES: This was my screenshot from Ultimate Mission X that I was referring to during the conversation about the various Goku characters from different dimensions:

Enjoy!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Episode #0448 (01 July 2018)

Post by simtek34 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:46 am

Great episode! I’ve been wondering for a while Mike, are you guys ever going to do another “Live Stream Story Time Adventures” again? It’s been over a year since the last one!

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:58 am

Very informative podcast episode for someone who hasn't bothered to keep up with Heroes over the years. I'm not really interested in the promotional anime either, but one thing I do really like about it is Kappei Yamaguchi joining the all-star Dragon Ball cast, as L from Death Note is my number one favorite anime/manga character. I actually tried really hard to hear L in Yamaguchi's performance as Fu, but was barely able to recognize him. Goes to show how much range the actor has!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:01 am

simtek34 wrote:I’ve been wondering for a while Mike, are you guys ever going to do another “Live Stream Story Time Adventures” again? It’s been over a year since the last one!
Yeah, absolutely. Has it really been a year...? Sorry! I think my plan for the next batch of material was a series of UK articles from pre-FUNimation times. I'm sure I have another random batch beyond that which could make for an additional hodgepodge of a reading session, too.
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:Very informative podcast episode for someone who hasn't bothered to keep up with Heroes over the years.
Great! I'm sure a lot of people wanted us to get right to the new episode review, but I think it was also important to provide the necessary context leading up to it. Glad it was useful/worthwhile.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:39 am

Heroes has always come off as "that other thing" similar to how I treat most of the games, so it was cool to get the recap of what it IS exactly.

Can't get over the word Card-ass, though.

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:36 pm

Pocket Monsters was never billed as a "promotional anime"; early advertisements for the show very specifically use the "TV Anime" tagline.

(but also, I know it's popular to treat Pocket Monsters as "just" a 30 minute toy commercial but it really isn't any more merchandise driven than any Japanese cartoon. Including Dragon Ball)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:27 pm

Dogasu wrote:Pocket Monsters was never billed as a "promotional anime"; early advertisements for the show very specifically use the "TV Anime" tagline.

(but also, I know it's popular to treat Pocket Monsters as "just" a 30 minute toy commercial but it really isn't any more merchandise driven than any Japanese cartoon. Including Dragon Ball)
The differences between the reception of the Pokemon dub and the Dragon Ball dubs has always fascinated me. Nobody seems to get upset at Satoshi being changed to Ash it feels like, yet debates have raged for years on whether it's appropriate to add a second O to Goku's name. This not getting into a lot of the script changes in dialogue and things like Jesse/James and Butch/Cassidy just to make a quick joke.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:23 am

KBABZ wrote:
Dogasu wrote:Pocket Monsters was never billed as a "promotional anime"; early advertisements for the show very specifically use the "TV Anime" tagline.

The differences between the reception of the Pokemon dub and the Dragon Ball dubs has always fascinated me. Nobody seems to get upset at Satoshi being changed to Ash it feels like, yet debates have raged for years on whether it's appropriate to add a second O to Goku's name. This not getting into a lot of the script changes in dialogue and things like Jesse/James and Butch/Cassidy just to make a quick joke.
From what I've seen, it looks like most of the fans who care enough about version differences to genuinely get annoyed at stuff like that just... don't care about the Pokémon anime. Most people I've talked to who even watch it at all seem perfectly content to watch it in English because they're used to those voices and names, and whenever I point out all the ways I find the dub inferior (which primarily boils down to the soundtrack; In recent years TPCi has developed an annoying habit of removing like 98% of the original soundtrack, seemingly only keeping one or two tracks per episode due to some contractual obligation or something), the response I get is typically that they don't care enough about the series to even seek out the original. For most people, the Pokémon anime is just this silly thing they watched as kids and that they've grown out of. Which to be fair is a mindset I too used to have, but having given it another chance, in recent years I've found that it's honestly really good... Which actually makes it a bit frustrating when I keep trying to convince others of this and the response I tend to get is just "lol no".

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:42 am

Vegard Aune wrote:From what I've seen, it looks like most of the fans who care enough about version differences to genuinely get annoyed at stuff like that just... don't care about the Pokémon anime. Most people I've talked to who even watch it at all seem perfectly content to watch it in English because they're used to those voices and names, and whenever I point out all the ways I find the dub inferior (which primarily boils down to the soundtrack; In recent years TPCi has developed an annoying habit of removing like 98% of the original soundtrack, seemingly only keeping one or two tracks per episode due to some contractual obligation or something), the response I get is typically that they don't care enough about the series to even seek out the original. For most people, the Pokémon anime is just this silly thing they watched as kids and that they've grown out of. Which to be fair is a mindset I too used to have, but having given it another chance, in recent years I've found that it's honestly really good... Which actually makes it a bit frustrating when I keep trying to convince others of this and the response I tend to get is just "lol no".
I'm inclined to agree. While Pokémon is obviously a wing to help promote the games (as shown by having many, many Pokémon of the Day episodes), particularly in the early days there was a concise effort to show Ash's development as a trainer and a person. And if you watch all of the Kanto episodes, the one after his loss to Ritchie ends on a note that could have been the conclusion of his story arc... only it wasn't, as is plainly obvious. The Dragon Ball manga and animes too are cogs in the big grand Dragon Ball self-promotion machine, so there's not as much disparity for me there either (although when it comes to storytelling and plot I think Dragon Ball has Pokémon beat). One facet of Pokémon that I did love a lot in retrospect was the music; it was perfect for the show and the orchestral renditions of the game tunes are sublime, so it's sad to hear that TPCi is removing them nowadays. As you can probably guess I'm only familiar with the dub, but that being said, as humorous as some of the dub-isms are, I'd much prefer have a rice ball be shown and called a rice ball. The show being set in a version of Japan is a big part of its appeal for me, and it's one of the things that drew me to Dragon Ball and Cardcaptors back in the day because it wasn't like what was being shown on Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:44 pm

I'm surprised that any of you did not mention the Hero Colosseum Mode from Xenoverse 2 in the discussion. The mode introduced the overall mechanics and playstyle of DBH to a broader audience.
Who knows, maybe the mode was introduced as a test run to see if there was any interest in the Heroes brand?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:46 pm

ShadowBardock89 wrote:I'm surprised that any of you did not mention the Hero Colosseum Mode from Xenoverse 2 in the discussion. The mode introduced the overall mechanics and playstyle of DBH to a broader audience.
Who knows, maybe the mode was introduced as a test run to see if there was any interest in the Heroes brand?
I've definitely mentioned this on the show, even recently, in this very context.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:05 am

VegettoEX wrote:
ShadowBardock89 wrote:I'm surprised that any of you did not mention the Hero Colosseum Mode from Xenoverse 2 in the discussion. The mode introduced the overall mechanics and playstyle of DBH to a broader audience.
I've definitely mentioned this on the show, even recently, in this very context.
You did, but not on this episode.