Episode #0449 (08 July 2018)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0449 (08 July 2018)

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:19 pm

Episode #0449 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version) (SoundCloud version)
65:18; 96 kbps, mono; 45.0 MB

Episode #0449! Mike and Heath discuss the history of Broli: who created him, how he came to be, and where he fits in with the larger Dragon Ball franchise. With Akira Toriyama seemingly taking the character for his own in this year's forthcoming movie, where does that leave Takao Koyama's original creation, and what, if anything, does the film's production staff have to do to keep us excited for the rest of the year?

SEGMENTS:
  • 00:19 - Introduction
  • 03:05 - Topic
  • 60:01 - Wrap-up
REFERENCED SITES: Enjoy!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Psionic Dragon

Re: Episode #0449 (08 July 2018)

Post by Psionic Dragon » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:59 pm

Wow, Koyama really said those things? To use a pro wrestling term, it seems like he's the biggest mark for his own creation.
Last edited by Psionic Dragon on Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:50 pm

Such a waste of an opportunity. It would be one thing if Toriyama had a character idea and there was a suggestion for him to adapt or use Broli as a basis if the concept was similar. But it seems that they wanted Broli and Toriyama had to work his way around to make a story involving him. I don't think we can fully compare with what happened with Future Trunks or Bardock, since both those characters existed and came from him (yes, even Bardock as the father of Goku with very similar resemblance).

That said, lets hope his "rearrangements", story and everything else are interesting enough to ease my mind.

Gokitalo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokitalo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:24 am

I know it's a press release and therefore the creative process could've been downplayed a bit, but Toriyama does say Broly was a suggestion from his editor, rather than something he was pushed into doing, and he does say he found the original films interesting enough to play around with. So it sounds like Toriyama had quite a bit of freedom regarding whether or not to go with Broly as a villain.

At any rate, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the ideas he's brought up in interviews, e.g. the original Super Saiyan God Yamoshi, end up in the film in some fashion: perhaps there's shared history between the Legendary Super Saiyan and the Super Saiyan God forms. We do know a couple of new characters are going to show up, based on the artwork that's been revealed, although we don't know to what extent they'll be important.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:28 pm

Gokitalo wrote:I know it's a press release and therefore the creative process could've been downplayed a bit, but Toriyama does say Broly was a suggestion from his editor, rather than something he was pushed into doing, and he does say he found the original films interesting enough to play around with. So it sounds like Toriyama had quite a bit of freedom regarding whether or not to go with Broly as a villain.
Never said he didn't have any freedom or that he was coerced into doing something he didn't want. The fact that he will (fortunately) change things is proof of that. My argument was regarding the whole premise of it: since Broli is popular, let's do something involving him.

That said, if we are to have Broli in some form, might as well be something that comes directly from Toriyama. But I still think it's a waste of an opportunity for creating a new character.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:32 pm

I think you guys perfectly summed it all up! Couldn't agree more with everything that was said. The big one was all these new designs only to go to Broly. That is what gets me the most!

This probably also explains why Kale wasn't marketed for DBS, granted the only new character that got any marketing for that arc was Jiren but I thought they at least would have milked Kale especially since she was in that pre arc PV and then OP but instead the opposite happened and Bandai just doubled down on Broly. Now it all makes sense.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:00 pm

Psionic Dragon wrote:Wow, Koyama really said those things? To use a pro wrestling term, it seems like he's the biggest mark for his own creation.
I wonder how he reacted to the news that Brolli is back.