Episode #0451 (22 July 2018)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0451 (22 July 2018)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:19 pm

Episode #0451 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version) (SoundCloud version)
77:40; 96 kbps, mono; 56.2 MB

Episode #0451! Mike, Meri, and Jeff continue onward in the "Dragon Ball GT Review of Awesomeness" to cover "Dragon Ball GT" episodes 32-35! Oob enters the fray to challenge Baby, but when his own attack is turned on him, the only option left is a still-in-progress Goku. With his tail back in the picture, how will things shake out? And just how many transformations can we cram into four episodes?!

SEGMENTS:
  • 00:12 - Introduction
  • 01:50 - Topic
  • 27:19 - Wrap-up
REFERENCED SITES: So I was slightly off when I said "15,000 years" in reference to the Elder Kaiōshin; going back and editing I immediately heard the error, where I meant to say "15 generations" (mouth and mind got a little outta sync). Anyway, I still think this is a valid point, and one that we have probably even discussed in the past: suddenly, on a dime, it feels like they switch from calling him "Rou" to "Dai" here in this span of episodes. He's not the Great Lord of Lords, but simply the East Kaiōshin from that many generations back. On the other hand, in many ways it feels like he's inherited that kind of role, guiding Shin (and/or Kibitio-Kaiōshin) along the way here in GT and basically in everything else since then.

Enjoy! We have five episodes left in this arc!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

nato25
Advanced Regular

Re: Episode #0451 (22 July 2018)

Post by nato25 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:58 pm

Loved the info on Super Saiyan 4 you presented, wasn't aware of that stuff and why Kanzenshuu is the best. I agree that having to design the next level of Super Saiyan would be awesome but incredibly daunting.

As for the whole Kai thing, who knows, too many inconsistencies with the Kai hierarchy.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:57 am

Mostly just want to say I'm super curious to hear/see Mike lay out a timeline of Japanese GT promotional material with all of the vintage magazines he's accumulating. Hoping it'll show up in the form of either an article or a future podcast!

Also, the lack of filter on oozaru Goku in these episodes is baffling, Oob is a murderer, Boo's farewell is touching, and while I find this whole string of episodes completely enjoyable and the Tsufuru planet makes a lovely backdrop for the climax (even sticking with the series' theme of setting the series on exotic worlds as it finishes its first arc), I otherwise don't have that much to say about them. Neither my favorite nor least favorite part of the show.

Okay, I guess I do have two more things to say, perhaps more in response to the show as a whole than this particular string of episodes:

Oob really does get done dirty by the series, between his milquetoast characterization and no effort ever being made past this point, really, to portray the fact that he's significantly stronger than anyone not named Goku. I say this not because I'm in a fuss about power-scaling, or because I'm some kind of jilted Oob fan (who could be? he's a complete blank slate), but because it feels like an artifact of wanting to keep focus on Goku, and to some extent his Saiyan family, rather than something sincere to the story. From here on out we'll see him only in passive group roles, at least when it comes to large battles, and it just doesn't feel quite right.

On a more positive note, one of the things I feel GT does particularly well, especially in this first arc, is maintaining an important quality from the manga: You'd have to be some sort of savant to predict what an arc's ending will look like based on how it starts. It was nice to hear everyone pick up on that this episode as events dodged Jeff's predictions—Goku, looking like that, fighting a giant, golden monkey on a planet full of evil versions of his friends, is a weird ending to an arc that starts with a casual group trip through space. Hell, it's a weird ending even based on where we were five or so episodes prior. When the group was asked what the most evidently "Toriyama" thing about this batch of episodes was, I think everyone was just a bit remiss to not have cited that. (The humor in comparison is ... okay. It's not as wonderfully dry as Toriyama, but it never lets its jokes become too overbearing either, give or take a few hungry Goku gags.)

Next time: Hot off the heels of Boo, the rarest thing in Dragon Ball: a permanent, non-villain character death.

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:39 am

Episode 35 my favorite episode of all time just.. wonderful ..greatness

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:50 pm

With how much you guys were talking about how the actions and narrative of these episodes served to portray the escalating power levels without needing numbers... I can't believe nobody even mentioned Goku's famous "your punches are tickling me" moment. If THAT doesn't emphasize a fight's powers being ridiculously one-sided, then I don't know what does.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:13 pm

I find the timing coincidental with the DBGT review is now within the last episodes of the Baby arc and Baby Vegeta announced as DLC for Xenoverse 2.
As for the podcast, I love how Jeff's predictions come close to what actually happens (even if the timing is slightly off).
Once the arc is finished, Mike has to ask him of what he thought of Baby as a villain.

jpranevich
Beyond Newbie

Post by jpranevich » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:30 pm

Mike,

When you get around to the end of GT, I hope you pause and talk about GT vs Super a bit while the former is still fresh. You ALMOST went there this month, but I agree it's better for later and without your more innocent friend being spoiled to the magic of DBS. These two series have so much in common as attempts at "sequels" to Z that it would be a shame not to talk about it while the memory is fresh.

Unrelated stupid prediction: After the DBS movie comes out, Dragon Ball Super will relaunch as a new series titled... "Dragon Ball Super Z". I just have this sneaky suspicion that with the "Z" being such an iconic part of the name, there's going to be a push to go back to it for branding purposes.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:18 am

Awesome GT episodes.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:58 pm

Where are the previous episodes of the GT reviews?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:00 pm

PFM18 wrote:Where are the previous episodes of the GT reviews?
All reviews (show content and otherwise) are linked on the "Reviews" page in the "Podcast" section.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:02 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
PFM18 wrote:Where are the previous episodes of the GT reviews?
All reviews (show content and otherwise) are linked on the "Reviews" page in the "Podcast" section.
Oh wow I'm an idiot should have known that. Thank you!

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:52 am

Really been loving watching GT for the first time with you guys!

Wierdly, I`m actually... uhm... Overall enjoying this more than Super???

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:47 pm

songohan619 wrote:Really been loving watching GT for the first time with you guys!

Wierdly, I`m actually... uhm... Overall enjoying this more than Super???
Yes you are enjoying it more than Super