Episode #0458 (11 November 2018)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0458 (11 November 2018)

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:03 pm

Episode #0458 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version) (SoundCloud version)
55:58; 96 kbps, mono; 38.6 MB

Episode #0458! Mike, Julian, and Stacey crack open the case of being "Reincarnated as Yamcha", which recently saw its official English translation from Viz. How does Dragon Garow Lee's talent carry over to an official product? What kind of story winds up being told, particularly in contrast to how its official rights holders may describe it? What are the benefits of going shirtless to your debut editorial meeting? Tune in for all this and more!

SEGMENTS:
  • 00:13 - Introduction
  • 04:06 - Topic
  • 52:44 - Wrap-up
REFERENCED SITES:
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Re: Episode #0458 (11 November 2018)

Post by batistabus » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:31 pm

Another great episode, thank you!

When it was announced that DGL was going to draw an official manga, I was pretty excited. I had already been following him on Twitter for a while, and he was probably my favorite DB fan artist at the time. When the digital chapters came out, I really enjoyed the manga. The premise was fun and the art was great.

After reading my Viz printed release, I have to say I'm more lukewarm about it the second time around. To me, the main appeal was the premise; a fan with outside knowledge living in the Dragon Ball world. I don't really get a kick out of clowning on Yamcha, and the die-reincarnation-cycle trope doesn't interest me much, either. Ultimately, I don't think the final version is as stimulating as I had hoped. Maybe it's the kind of thing that's more fun to think about than it ends up in practice. Something I would have liked elaborated on more was fake-Yamcha's relationship with the cast. Despite the fact that he's been in the Dragon Ball world for years, he still feels a bit distant from everybody. Considering the length of the manga, I understand that might not have been feasible.

The characters beyond the Freeza arc really do look jarring and off-model. Something about his Goku is is throwing me off as well...maybe the eyes? Otherwise, the art is fantastic. Some panels could totally pass for Toriyama.

Maybe DGL isn't cut out for a serial with a short turn-around, but I hope he gets another stab at drawing DB for Shueisha.

Oh, and the fusion bonus gag was absolute gold.