Episode #0470 (14 April 2019)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0470 (14 April 2019)

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:20 pm

Episode #0470 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version) (SoundCloud version)
50:01; 96 kbps, mono; 34.5 MB

Episode #0470! Mike and Heath check in on "Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission" before chatting out the latest entry in the long-running saga of questionable-at-best, depressing-at-worst FUNimation Dragon Ball Z home video releases. Who do they think they are making this 30th anniversary Blu-ray set for, and why do we keep repeating history over and over expecting anything to change?

SEGMENTS:
  • 00:13 – Introduction
  • 03:15 – Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission
  • 10:36 – FUNimation 30th Annivesary DBZ Blu-ray Nonsense
  • 41:05 – Wrap-up
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SaiyaSith
Regular

Re: Episode #0470 (14 April 2019)

Post by SaiyaSith » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:44 pm

Yesss! I've been waiting for a new episode

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:43 pm

There's an anime con happening again at the Meadowlands Exposition Center? I can't go, but oh man does that take me back.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:00 pm

Great episode especially after being hungry for one. I am guessing this was recorded before the green tint on the blu-ray debacle would be interested to get an opinion on that although it seems Toei is almost at the same level as Funimation now in terms of respect from the Kanzenshuu crew. I agree these companies seem to have lost their way.

I am a dub fan but I still like to know the character names will be translated from Japanese in the subs.

I would love to see the parallel world where the releases and dub side of things are handled entirely how this community would want them to be. Would those sets have sold as well? Would Dragon Ball have the popularity it does today? I feel like we always talk about how it would be successful no matter what and you're probably right, but we have no evidence to support that where we kind of do have evidence that the current method is successful.

Also agree on your sentiment with heroes. The repetitive actions are a blast the first time but I am so over the God mode Kamehameha and Z tracing and double attacks and all that now, the game needs a skip animations button badly. I am hoping when I have to start thinking about deck compositions and certain strategies that the game will become more fun, as it stands I am just going through the motions and having the most fun summoning new cards and seeing things unique to the Heroes world like Xeno Cell.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:57 pm

Good to see another episode after a decent sized break as i just got through listening on my computer, and the discussion about the new, sadly less than perfect 30th Anniversary BD release in particular was very interesting given everything going on. :D

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:55 am

VegettoEX, Heath: My daughter and I watched all of db and up until the Namek arc (had to stop because she was unconsciously mimicking violence of it unfortunately so I said we'll have to wait a few years) She also used to say "I wanna watch Goku"!

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:13 pm

What's so weird about the whole conversation about a truly archival version of the show, is that other companies have done this just fine. I mean, in a couple months from now we're gonna be watching Evangelion on Netflix that are, I presume, just drawn from the masters for the Japanese Blu-rays, which I've not heard any complaints about (other than the fact that western fans can't really obtain them).

I guess this does fall on Toei though. They have not shown any inclination toward making an HD remaster of the older material other than the films. Honestly, if the Dragon Boxes were properly color corrected, I'd be happy with all of it in SD forever, but we can't even get that!

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:46 pm

Mike, far be it from any of us to presume the lack of a podcast means you are not working on the site!

I recall one of the answers to the Kazenshuu Q&A was that Dragon Ball Z is so freakishly popular in the English-speaking world that it has different "markets", which is a polite way of saying FUNi can do whatever they want because it will sell to someone. Which as Mike acknowledges near the end, leaves this release with no legs to stand on because FUNi already has a complete and readily available Blu-Ray release of DBZ cropped and scrubbed to that standard. If we pretend that that is a necessary box that needs to be checked, the box is already checked. They understood this with their version of the Dragon Boxes, with no overt visual changes and the closest thing to a "mass market" concession being the inclusion of the English dub at all. I really don't get why the decision-makers missed it now. I would believe that that the Level Sets were a mammoth effort and more time and money than FUNi was willing to put in, but that doesn't make more smearing the only alternative.
Ex-Dubbie369 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:13 pmI guess this does fall on Toei though. They have not shown any inclination toward making an HD remaster of the older material other than the films. Honestly, if the Dragon Boxes were properly color corrected, I'd be happy with all of it in SD forever, but we can't even get that!
I do not think they see a need. Either that the buyer base isn't there, or that the Dragon Boxes single discs mean the series is already readily available on disc in pretty good quality, if probably a decade out of print. Though how they handled Kai Buu and rushed Dragon Ball Super to production tell us all we need to know, really. Mike posits that the Dragon Ball rights holders do not know what to do with the IP, and I just feel like Toei's response would be "Maybe, but for all that legitimate history, the IP is a dumb pulpy moneymaker for kids." In the wake of Super Broly, the Super anime's return could be most telling.