Episode #0480 (19 April 2020)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0480 (19 April 2020)

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:18 pm

Episode #0480 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (Spotify version) (YouTube version) (SoundCloud version)
88:54; 96 kbps, mono; 61.2 MB

Episode #0480! Mike brings the team back together again with an exciting batch of topics this episode, including the likely origins of the Galactic Patrol back in DBZ Movie 3, hidden elements and fun trivia lurking behind the camera in the PlayStation 2 games, and a wealth of website and wiki work updates!

SEGMENTS:
  • 00:13 – Introduction
  • 03:39 – Amond and the Galactic Patrol
  • 39:36 – Hidden Video Game Secrets
  • 56:58 – Website and Wiki Work Updates
  • 1:25:04 – Wrap-up
REFERENCED SITES:
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Episode #0480 (19 April 2020)

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:44 am

Oh, Stacey does a live-action anime podcast? Cool! I was an animator for Alita: Battle Angel at Weta Digital, that was a lot of fun to work on!

Great episode yet again, love hearing about wiki work.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:11 pm

KBABZ wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:44 am Oh, Stacey does a live-action anime podcast? Cool! I was an animator for Alita: Battle Angel at Weta Digital, that was a lot of fun to work on!
Yeah, if you're interested, here's a link with the episodes we've done so far: https://anibroscreative.com/category/reel-japan/ (audio quality and editing may be dubious on some earlier episodes, but I like to think we've improved as time has gone on :P ). Alita is one that we've watched and have plans to record an episode about (I think it looked great!) Meanwhile, I need to go edit some episodes that were recorded long ago that have just been sitting around waiting for me to get to them :?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:05 am

sailorspazz wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:11 pm
KBABZ wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:44 am Oh, Stacey does a live-action anime podcast? Cool! I was an animator for Alita: Battle Angel at Weta Digital, that was a lot of fun to work on!
Yeah, if you're interested, here's a link with the episodes we've done so far: https://anibroscreative.com/category/reel-japan/ (audio quality and editing may be dubious on some earlier episodes, but I like to think we've improved as time has gone on :P ). Alita is one that we've watched and have plans to record an episode about (I think it looked great!) Meanwhile, I need to go edit some episodes that were recorded long ago that have just been sitting around waiting for me to get to them :?
Awesome! I have a few shots that I animated in the final movie, although I did a lot of attaching robot arms to people too! Would love to hear your thoughts on the movie itself. : D

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:23 am

So good of you to telluce and lettuce know all about the Tullece Corps.

*Ahem*

Kaio-approved puns aside, it never fails to blow my mind just how much Kanzenshuu is up my ally. I'm into comics, languages, making sure information is as correct/accurate as possible, etc... I even have a degree in translation (although not Japanese, sadly), so whenever I hear people like Julian or Stacey describe their translating process exactly the way I would approach translations, I'm always overcome by a sense of heartwarming relief. Like yes, these people truly know what they are doing and all the Dragon Ball material they handle is in excellent hands.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:15 pm

TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:23 am So good of you to telluce and lettuce know all about the Tullece Corps.

*Ahem*

Kaio-approved puns aside, it never fails to blow my mind just how much Kanzenshuu is up my ally. I'm into comics, languages, making sure information is as correct/accurate as possible, etc... I even have a degree in translation (although not Japanese, sadly), so whenever I hear people like Julian or Stacey describe their translating process exactly the way I would approach translations, I'm always overcome by a sense of heartwarming relief. Like yes, these people truly know what they are doing and all the Dragon Ball material they handle is in excellent hands.
Puns are always welcome :lol:

Glad to hear that my ramblings on the translation process make sense! I actually never had any sort of formal classes dedicated just to translation theory; the only official practice I could say I had was sometimes during the course of Japanese classes we would translate the things we were reading, and the professor would give notes/corrections. So my own preferences and process were mostly self taught through watching and analyzing how other people approached translation, then deciding what I personally agreed or disagreed with. So it's a relief that in the end I've come to the point where my process lines up with people who have done more formal study of the art of translation :D

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:24 pm

Wow! It's honestly surprising to hear that you haven't had any formal classes, because the whole "read the text in its entirety before you begin" is like Translation 101 stuff that I heard over and over throughout the course I took. :lol:

There is, of course, a world of difference between translating some random school-assigned text, or translating something you're passionate about. There have definitely been times when I slacked on coursework translation and only did a half-assed-but-acceptable job, but if I was asked to translate something like an Akira Toriyama interview, you bet I'd go all-in making sure I got it as right as I possibly could. I'd probably even go a bit paranoid, scared that I wouldn't be able to do justice to the original message.

Because there's always THAT paradox - being a translator but part of me not quite approving of translation because it can never be 100.00% accurate. :P Some things will always slip through the cracks, such as Amond's speech quirks (which was an interesting tidbit to learn about!).