Episode #0067 (04 March 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0067 (04 March 2007)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:30 pm

Episode #0067 (download MP3)
57:59; 64 kbps, mono; 26.5 MB

Episode #0067! VegettoEX, Meri, and Jeff review and analyze volume two of the manga. Three major staples of the series (Shenlong, Kamehameha, Oozaru) show up here for the first time! We also answer tons of e-mail and finally get rid of this "remastered" DBZ season one boxset that people want but apparently don't REALLY want...! Referenced sites: Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the asinine *sixty-seven* episodes, now.

After getting rid of Julian in the river behind the hotel... err... I mean... Since Julian was out for his birthday... Wait... that doesn't even affect anything at all...

So this week we did round two of the manga review & analysis! Good times, good times. It was also nice to hit up a bunch of e-mails that have been sitting around for a while, just waiting to be read and answered. It's also nice to get rid of that other boxset sitting here looking back at me with its disgusting orange self. And stuff. Hellz yeah.

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:21 pm

*downloads*

Aww, Julian is MIA again. You know, he's just making you think it's his birthday. He's in Japan watching One Piece Movie 8. :P

Just kidding. Happy Birthday Julian!

Gaiash
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gaiash » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:25 pm

I'm downloading the podcast now. I wonder who won? Probably wasn't me.
Proud Advanceshipper (Ash+May)

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:06 pm

Just so you know, in the original Japanese manga, Puar doesn't make any reference to Kamehameha being the king of Hawaii. I would say it's because Dragonball isn't set in our world and the characters wouldn't make reference to real world locations, but at this point I'm not sure whether Toriyama-sensei had decided they were on an alternate Earth....but still, there aren't any real world references in the manga as far as I remember.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:26 pm

*commenting as I listen*

It was acctually Oolong who told Goku to use the Power Pole, not Yamcha.

Though Oolong does run away, it is refernced in the next chapter that he did run away. So apparentley maybe they caught up on the Nimbus or he just came back.

It was Pu'ar who was looking at the moon and talking about looking at something pretty before he dies, not Oolong.

Was Toriyama planning to end it after Pilaf? The Narrative Panel at the end of Chapter 23 says "We hope you enjoyed the Adventures of...hey wait a minute. We're gonna keep going and going". That leads me to believe he knew it was gonna keep going. I mean heck he says he going to Roshi's at the end of CH.23.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

TriforceCaptre
Beyond Newbie

Post by TriforceCaptre » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:00 pm

Oh snap, you guys read my e-mail. I didn't even know it got through since I got an error message when I sent it.
Anyways, loved the discussion on volume 2. I finally picked up volume 1 and 2 myself so I was really looking forward to the segment. *waits politely for the next one in April*.
"There's ten thousand reasons to survive, but you only needed one to die." -CKY-

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:14 pm

I listened to the podcast and I have a question for those of you in the UK (or if this applies to you): Isn't there another company that distributes manga through Shonen Jump or something like that? I believe the logo is the letter C above the letter M. Not to sound like a total pest but would you guys consider making a little contest out of naming the monthly manga summary-thing? I mean, thinking of a title for that is harder then it seems.. :?
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

_Jrinu_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by _Jrinu_ » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:36 pm

fps_anth wrote: He's in Japan watching One Piece Movie 8. :P
Hehe, I know that's where I wish I was. :wink:

Great podcast as usual guys. Although I do miss the weeklys. Meri's List and ABCs!! When are they gonna be back?
There is no better combination in the world than Dragonball, Cherry Pepsi, and Cheez-Its. It's a proven fact.
The Super Saiya-jin Bobba Fetts: Gym Class Badminton Champions 2006!!
Wii Friend Code: 1134 6268 9135 3724/ Xbox live gamertag: Jrinu
Jump Ultimate Stars Code: 2534 9452 9303

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:39 pm

Ah, good to know you guys are continuing with these manga episodes. I haven't read the earlier volumes in a while, so these episodes keep me nice and refreshed in my DB knowledge (not like they don't already).

As for the big orange giveaway, I said it before and I'll say it again: I'm waiting for someone to smack their season set around with a baseball bat and tape themselves doing it so they can throw it up on ol' youtube. I've never seen the footage of the 360, Wii, and PS3, etc destructions, but I hear they're pretty entertaining. I'd do it with mine, but well... I don't wanna.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:39 pm

Mr.Piccolo wrote:I listened to the podcast and I have a question for those of you in the UK (or if this applies to you): Isn't there another company that distributes manga through Shonen Jump or something like that? I believe the logo is the letter C above the letter M. Not to sound like a total pest but would you guys consider making a little contest out of naming the monthly manga summary-thing? I mean, thinking of a title for that is harder then it seems.. :?
-Rick
The company is called 'Gollancz Manga'

http://www.orionbooks.co.uk/MP-35733/Dr ... lume-1.htm

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:01 pm

I'm just listening through, and I just wanted to say that the "Kamehame-ha" joke wasn't in the original. (Well, I didn't find one, at least.) It was more Pu'erh asking Yamucha what the "Kamehame-ha" was.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:54 pm

In the Japanese Kanzenban, Kame-sen'nin spilt wonton soup on the banana plant fan. Did the English version mention what kind of soup it was?

Pu'er says this in the Japanese Kanzenban:
"A- amazing!!! Ya- Ya- Yamcha-sama, wha- what on Earth is a 'Kamehame-Ha'.........!?"
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:04 am

Well, as long as we're clearing stuff up, I'm pretty sure that the dub called it the Bansho-fan, not the Banjo fan. (And sorry if you guys actually called it "bansho" but I misheard it.)

As for the title of these monthly manga reviews... why not, umm... The Rundown? :?
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:08 am

How about calling the new segment "Gekkan Tankōbon Hihyō" or "Manga Monthly".
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:52 am

Good manga discussion this week.

And now, I hate to sound like a party pooper, but...

Your cracking jokes at the person who eventually won the Big Orange Brick and suggesting that when they get it they destroy it and make a video of that was just pretty childish and intolerant. This is 2007, and people should be allowed to watch whatever series they want, however they want. I know you've made suggestions as to how it should be seen and all that, but as FUNimation has demonstrated time and again with DBZ, we can't get it easily. So we make do.

Instead of setting the Big Orange Box on fire and putting a video of it on YouTube, the winner should do something a little more productive with it if they're not going to keep it. Give it to someone as a (re-)gift, donate it, get cash back by going to their local Suncoast or FYE, or resell it on Ebay. Something like that so that this thing doesn't truly go to waste. And after all, it still has the original Japanese dub and Steve Simmons' subtitles, so there's some value to it right there.

A good yet disappointing episode this week, if not for the fact that you hate the FUNimation English dub of DBZ. We get it already.
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:54 am

I've just started listening. Happy 22nd birthday, Julian! :D
linkdude20002001 wrote:In the Japanese Kanzenban, Kame-sen'nin spilt wonton soup on the banana plant fan. Did the English version mention what kind of soup it was?
The English version did indeed state that he spilled wonton soup on the Basho-Sen.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Jefferson

Post by Jefferson » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:24 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot this podcast was out...silly me as I sit here listening to Renaissance :-P
Jefferson Eng - As heard on the Otaku Generation podcast

Tom Servo: Oh, they're flying into a Roger Dean album cover.
Crow T. Robot: They're very into Yes on this planet.

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:35 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:Well, as long as we're clearing stuff up, I'm pretty sure that the dub called it the Bansho-fan, not the Banjo fan. (And sorry if you guys actually called it "bansho" but I misheard it.)

As for the title of these monthly manga reviews... why not, umm... The Rundown? :?
I think they said Banjo fan on the podcast too, but they aren't dubbies so I wouldn't expect them to have all of the dub's pronunciations spot on, plus FUNimation's actors mispronouncing it doesn't help. They say it like the words "ban" and "show" are pronounced, so half is pronounced correctly, and half is incorrect. Speaking of the bansho-sen, what does it translate to in English? I assume sen means fan, but I'm not sure because after all, it is the FUNimation dub.
­

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:32 pm

Actually, that's still incorrect since it's the Bashou-sen fan and not the Banshou-sen fan. 芭蕉扇 literally means "Banana Leaf Fan."

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:39 pm

Tatsunoboshi Horoko wrote:Actually, that's still incorrect since it's the Bashou-sen fan and not the Banshou-sen fan. 芭蕉扇 literally means "Banana Leaf Fan."
It's ironic too, since that kind of leaf tears pretty easily in the wind (hence it being used by the poet Basho).
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。