Episode #0074 (22 April 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0074 (22 April 2007)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:13 pm

Episode #0074 (download MP3)
62:45; 64 kbps, mono; 28.7 MB

Episode #0074! VegettoEX and Meri discuss and review the "DragonBall Z Best Remix 2006 1/2 Special" CD. We check in with Julian at Anime Boston, Jeff stops by to read some e-mails, and we bring back a segment everyone has been asking for! Referenced sites: Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the splendid *seventy-four* episodes, now.

So here you go... Episode #0074! We took a pretty interesting look at the new "remix" CD that came out last February. I meant to mention this in the podcast, but above any other CD I've ever obtained from DB-fandom, this is one you absolutely need to own the physical CD of to truly enjoy... your downloaded MP3s aren't going to cut it, no matter how well you think they're encoded.

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:49 pm

I could have sworn Meri was going to say (on #3 of the top 5) "The great scene at the beginning of movie seven where Krillin masturbates."

Combined with the talk of bikini models that followed, I was laughing until it hurt.

And... Great episode! :D

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:54 pm

I think my computer still has malware despite my vicious counterstrike. :(. *recalls a DBZ version of Clerks that was at DB-Unlimited many years ago*.

Hmm, and this makes me want to remaster my "PiccoloDaimao" midi whose only purpose is to entertain me.

So many awesome! Celphones and Cryberries are a part of your balanced Daizex Breakfast!

Clearly all our Ihop are belong to you. :D. Great podcast with lots to think about bundled with entertainment... maybe your inisights will make it possible for me to finish this stalled project that I need to finish in under 24 hours. :).
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:13 pm

Burnign Fight...oh man. First time I heard that song when I switched over the language track on my Movie 8 DVD (which I don't have anymore...thus my entry into the contest x_x;) I immediately went to Daizenshuu EX (YEARS before the podcast) and printed out the lyrics for that song. I don't know why, but I really liked it XD; I was already familiar with a lot of the Japanese songs by then, but the others from the movies and such I was only just discovering.

This CD sounds veeeely intelesting ;D

EDIT: Hey, I know Dogaasu! He's a pretty cool guy, and that e-mail discussion was awesome. I ALWAYS use Pokemon as the prime example for that type of situatio. Online and off, I NEVER see anyone using the Japanese names for the Pokemon characters, and all of Dogaasu's points were correct in that respect. I also agree on the sentiment of Mewtwo's Japanese voice kicking ass. I THINK it was the same person who played him in SSBM, too...I've always wanted to see the first movie in Japanese. Hell, I've wanted to see a lot of Season 1 in Japanese! D:

Also the Shoukai thing...yeah. No. Just NO. XD;

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:09 pm

Woah, the mentioning of a bunch of forum members during the news section was pretty awesome since well... I was one of the guys mentioned! Granted, I had to be associated with those bad, bad season sets FUNi's churning out, but I kinda brought that upon myself by uploading the ad in the first place. And to clear it up, I pronounce it "Day-mon-Corps" (yes, I pronounce the "p").

I thought I wouldn't really enjoy the topic that much, but it's actually made me want to buy that CD. I'm somewhat familiar with the image songs, so I'd like to hear what they did to spice 'em up. And I guess you could say buying the set would be some kind of penance for me unknowingly buying some DBZ bootleg CDs way back when :(.

The random phone calls were great, too, especially since Jeff actually showed up right after you called Julian. I could completely relate to Jeff's story of liking something, but knowing that it will be mainstream, so I'll eventually end up hating it (ie: Animorphs, Napoleon Dynamite, and even Pokemon and the Spice Girls, as Jeff mentioned). The conversation in response to Dogasu's e-mail makes me want to check out the new Pokemon game as well as search the garage for my sis' Spice Girls CDs :D.

So, me being mentioned, the topic, a Top 5, and Dogasu's e-mail are definitely enough stuff to make me want to save this for future re-listenings.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:41 pm

Ah, just listening now...

Hey! Mike said my name right - that's crazy. I was totally not expecting it pronounced so well. How did you do that Mike?!

About 'DB Source', I was planning on doing a bit of a review on it (video clips and everything), but the long and the short is, it's pretty lame. It is very much like those shooter games Mike doesn't like, except you get to fly around (rather awkwardly). There's one other DragonBall game mod currently in development (that I'm aware of) and it's for the first Half Life, called "Earth's Special Forces". It's actually farther along in development, but is essentially the same game. If you have either Half-Life game, you should at least try the mods out. (And you can expect a full review of 'DB Source' in the next couple days).

>> DB Source

>> Earth's Special Forces

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:25 pm

I liked that Meri opened the podcast with a firm '..Fuck You!'.. started me off with a laugh.

I'm glad the top 5 is back, the randomness of it always amused me. My favorite so far has to be 'top 5 reasons it sucks to be a Namekian'.

I'm a big Pokemon fan, and I can understand the frustration of the language barrier. Of all the Japanese anime I enjoy watching, finding non-dub Pokemon is definetly a hassle. As far as the name's of the Pokemon go... there's a very good reason I never put forth the effort to learn the original names, even though I'm the kind of person who prefers hearing things in Japanese, and that is... even if I memorized each name, I wouldn't get it. Most of the monster's name is a tongue-in-cheek pun and it's usually witty or funny, but I just don't know enough Japanese to even catch it. Take Squirtle... Squirt... Turtle... yeah, I get it, very funny. But Zenigame... I can guess it has something to do with a turtle, but I don't get it. And that's a lot of names to memorize when you're not in on the joke.
On the other hand, I've always refered to the protagonists as Satoshi, Kasumi and Takeshi... :? An unusually difficult situation.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:30 pm

I'll probably listen in on the podcast later tonight or sometime tomorrow, the summary sounds good though. :3

Bulbagarden, man that takes me back. I used to hang out on their forums all the time 7 or 8 years ago. O__O;;

I'm one of the few people who call the main human characters by their japanese names too. I used to know some of the pkmn's japanese names but that knowledge is long forgotten in my head. XD
The last time I played pkmn, there were only 151 of them. There's what, over 300 or 400 now?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:42 pm

Chuquita wrote:The last time I played pkmn, there were only 151 of them. There's what, over 300 or 400 now?
Yet I'm pretty sure that in the DS ones, you're limited to the newer ones. The only way you can get the original 151 is through the GBA Green and Red versions, which I really don't want to do since well... the latest Pokemon game I've got is Silver version, which is completely incompatible with the new ones (thus throwing away the possibility of playing with all my level 100s). The big reason I didn't get the game when I was at Target today is because I'm afraid I won't like the newer pokemon :?...

But I digress...
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:02 pm

Great podcast. Did you guys mention Snow Crash? You did... I actually think you guys are cooler now.

Why didn't I think of using the boards for my haiku? I really don't know what I'd do with the DVD if I won it. Though I must say, it'd definitely be ironic if I actually won this one. Uh... try not to pick my name?

Definitely go for the Pokemon. Doesn't matter which version, as I'm sure there will be dozens of Daizexers happy to trade you their version exclusives either way (via WiFi!). If you really haven't played a Pokemon game since the first generation, it won't even be recognizable. The huge upgrades to the system, added user-friendliness from the GBA generation... it'll all be given to you at once, as if a long-lost rich parent swung by your house with three years' worth of Christmas presents.
DaemonCorps wrote:Yet I'm pretty sure that in the DS ones, you're limited to the newer ones. The only way you can get the original 151 is through the GBA Green and Red versions...

...The big reason I didn't get the game when I was at Target today is because I'm afraid I won't like the newer pokemon :?...
Most of them are still there. I've only caught twelve pokemon in the game, and a few of them are older ones, such as Machop, Zubat, Geodude, Magikarp, and Onyx. As for the few you need FireRed / LeafGreen for, why not just find somebody on a message board who has the older games and do a WiFi trade for the exclusives?

The new species of pokemon are still creative-looking in my opinion. The cries sound much better as well... maybe you should just take a look at Serebii and decide for yourself.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:14 am

Zackarotto wrote:I've only caught twelve pokemon in the game, and a few of them are older ones, such as Machop, Zubat, Geodude, Magikarp, and Onyx.
Gah, Zacko you silly man. You should know that the correct spelling of Iwark's dub name is "Onix". :P (Although, 4Kids did make the same mistake in the season 8 episode title "Hooked on Onyx")

And regarding the podcast, another great show guys! Loved everything. Totally looking forward to next week.

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:04 am

Checking in with my thoughts for this week's podcast:

No pigs, only ducks. I guess the unicorns have flown the coop?7

Oh, Cartman was in charge of the Anime-Labs fansub of Movie 13? I never knew?

I would love to see more non-FUNi DBZ stuff. Songs of a High Spirited Saga would be awesome too. I wonder if you will get things from, say, Israel and Africa thanks to this recent solicitation. :)

I would think the Spanish/Mexican DBZ DVDs would be released south of the border, as it were, which is why there isn't much promotion of these releases. Think about it - other than say California, Texas, and Florida, what other motivation would FUNi have to market this to the entire country? For including (Spanish) audio tracks to some releases and not others, that could mostly be a legal issue.

C&D - well at least it's better than getting hot and bothered over a D&C. (Curtain!)

The single regret about the CD you reviewed is that there still is no clean karaoke version of Cha-La Head Cha-La. But I can definitely live with this CD! Also, a while back I experienced a small windfall and I ordered the CDs of all the Hit Song Collections (now that the re-issues are more affordable), and now I've become very familiar with a lot of the songs you always speak of.I always enjoy the music-based episodes of the podcast. (That last song you mentioned reminded me of the Avenue Q (theme) song. So cute.)

How weird - Julian's in a noisy place, Mike & Meri are at their quiet home, and yet Mike's the one yelling as if they were both at AniBo. Nice conversation, still.

Aha! Meri's Top 5 is back with the Not-Green-Acres musical stinger that introduces the segment. Yay!

Nice episode. Music is fun, music is life, music is power. :)
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:18 pm

MisterFlashdude wrote: I'm a big Pokemon fan, and I can understand the frustration of the language barrier. Of all the Japanese anime I enjoy watching, finding non-dub Pokemon is definetly a hassle. As far as the name's of the Pokemon go... there's a very good reason I never put forth the effort to learn the original names, even though I'm the kind of person who prefers hearing things in Japanese, and that is... even if I memorized each name, I wouldn't get it. Most of the monster's name is a tongue-in-cheek pun and it's usually witty or funny, but I just don't know enough Japanese to even catch it. Take Squirtle... Squirt... Turtle... yeah, I get it, very funny. But Zenigame... I can guess it has something to do with a turtle, but I don't get it. And that's a lot of names to memorize when you're not in on the joke.
Yeah, I've learned a good chunk of the Pokemon names in Japanese (due to reading Pokemon Special, also known as Pokemon Adventures, in Japanese). But you know which name always brings a smile to my face? Articuno, also known as "furiizaa."

...You know, because it's like Freeza! ... :lol:

Yeah.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:36 pm

I don't know anyone who watches Pokemon in Japanese, but I do know the name puns in the Japanese version won't translate over so well, and the ones who have English words for names in the Japanese version, just sound kind of corny if they were kept in English.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:41 pm

Super Sonic wrote:I don't know anyone who watches Pokemon in Japanese, but I do know the name puns in the Japanese version won't translate over so well, and the ones who have English words for names in the Japanese version, just sound kind of corny if they were kept in English.
Legendaries and Pika-clones are usually the only ones to keep their names (there are exceptions).
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:30 pm

SaiyamanMS wrote:Gah, Zacko you silly man. You should know that the correct spelling of Iwark's dub name is "Onix". :P (Although, 4Kids did make the same mistake in the season 8 episode title "Hooked on Onyx")
Argh, figures. "Onyx" is the only one out of all the pokemon I'd listed that was already spelled like a real word. Which I guess is a no-no for pokemon naming schemes. I had a hunch, but... well, I guessed wrong. Plain and simple.

...Also, you're a nerd. :P

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:36 am

Boo at Vegetto EX for giving me homework :(
Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on June 9th, 2022

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:12 am

Wow, the return of the Top Five list. I'm surprised the crossdressing incident in GT didn't make Trunks' list of embarassing moments. But, I guess, when your mom and grandma are hitting on you, walking around in women's clothes is the least of your worries :P
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:24 am

Zackarotto wrote:Argh, figures. "Onyx" is the only one out of all the pokemon I'd listed that was already spelled like a real word. Which I guess is a no-no for pokemon naming schemes. I had a hunch, but... well, I guessed wrong. Plain and simple.
What about "Gloom"? :wink:
Zackarotto wrote:...Also, you're a nerd. :P
Thank you. :D
sailorspazz wrote:Wow, the return of the Top Five list. I'm surprised the crossdressing incident in GT didn't make Trunks' list of embarassing moments. But, I guess, when your mom and grandma are hitting on you, walking around in women's clothes is the least of your worries :P
Well, technically, if they did bring that up, they'd be talking about an entirely different character than the Trunks whose humilation they were covering. Right?

And yay! Dogasu is on the forum! Totally love your website, been going there for years. :)

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:58 pm

Definately one of the funniest and more informative episodes ever. I lol'd at the "This is the part when, with podcast editing, I check the site for dates".

So, do you think Best Remix 2006 is worth a purchase? Considering I don't have any DB CD's yet, maybe it's a good first purchase?

Also, did you actually buy that CD with the 8-bit rendition of Romantikku Ageru Yo? If so, where did you buy it? It's kinda hard to navigate the official CD's site, and I'm a huge fan of video game music. So if anime music and 8bit-ness are fused into one...I want. :wink: