Episode #0103 (18 November 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0103 (18 November 2007)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:30 pm

Episode #0103 (download MP3)
55:34; 64 kbps, mono; 25.4 MB

Episode #0103! VegettoEX, Meri, and Julian discuss what it will take to make a WATCHABLE live-action American DB movie... not even GOOD, just WATCHABLE. We segue in with the loads of live-action movie news, FUNimation and Viz release news, and more Atari shenanigans. Meri's Top 5, November's releases, your e-mails, and our daizenshuu two giveaway contest round out the episode! Referenced sites:
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the fantascarino *one-hundred-three* episodes, now.

That's right! It's our two-year anniversary for the podcast! Not that we really make a big deal out of it, since #100 was really the big celebration... but following up on it, we're giving away daizenshuu numero dos! Woo-hoo! Tune in to find out if you won!

Also, the eBay listing is indeed up and live. Bid early, bid often, smoke-free home, A+++++++, SUPER RARE, great for the whole family, etc.

So what will it take to make a watchable American live-action DB movie...?

w0rd.
Last edited by VegettoEX on Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ViolentSaiyan

Post by ViolentSaiyan » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:03 pm

Awesome I can't wait to hear it.
Yare Yare Daze

Gaiash
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gaiash » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:36 pm

Ah the contest ends eh, I doubt that I won but it'll be a great podcast and I hope the winner enjoys their prize.
Proud Advanceshipper (Ash+May)

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:07 pm

Ah, I was wondering if you guys would even consider making a full on topic concerning the live action movie. Interesting points brought up overall, but I would've liked more of a point made that unlike the American comics gone live action movie, DB can't really pull off the same thing. I also would've liked someone not as into the series like Jeff (or is it Julian? :lol:) or Andrew to give their two cents from a non-fan's perspective.

Are the Bardock and Trunks Special DVDs really that bad in quality? I was thinking of getting 'em over the holidays but if they're not...

What would *I* want for a watchable DB movie? Well, I guess in the end, it would have to be good enough for the hardcore fans and the completely average Joe viewers out there. Who I really don't want the writer/director/whatever to please are the casual fans, who think the know the series from all the dub episodes they've seen. The last thing I'd want the movie to have is something like Vegeta breaking his scouter and shouting that horrendous 9000 line :?. Though from the handful of news we've got, it looks like Piccolo's gonna be the main baddie this time around.

I can't really think of anything else I'd want for a watchable movie right now, except for what you guys said about the movie at least keeping the same feel of the series. I'd really hate to just end up seeing some random action movie with the franchise name slapped onto it.

Aw, you don't want to see Death Note made into an American movie, Meri? I haven't seen any of the anime listed off in the top 5, so I might check 'em out in the near future.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:32 pm

OOOOOO, which arcs will you be reviewing? My best guess would be the Garlic Jr. and Super 17 arc.

Calcaneus

Post by Calcaneus » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:50 pm

For me at least, the movie has already been made "watchable". Stephen Chow, who's made some pretty awesome Hong Kong action comedies, producing the movie would be great. But it does look like it will still be crap,hopefully Chow can make it funny crap. But that depends on how true this news is.

As far as the series being in American minds, here's some completely useless anecdotal evidence. After class one day, a friend and I were going on about older TV shows, and Dragonball came up. We kinda started gushing over how hypnotized we were when that Toonami intro would come on. Out of nowhere, a dude we know comes around and kinda shouts "Spirit Bomb". I then grinned in nerdy glee. Granted, we were all college freshmen. Which puts us in the middle school bracket when the show was on Toonami.

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:07 pm

I wanted to add something interesting about Viz's "Viz Big" artwork: Kenshin's "Viz Big" cover art is completely different from its kanzenban release. I wonder what route they'll go with DB and DBZ?

QuantumDestiny
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by QuantumDestiny » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:17 pm

:? I'm afraid of listening to this, in case you guys somehow manage to get me terrified of the live action movie. *downloads anyway*

... 2 months is enough time to change the world, let alone change shooting locations. The movie is real, finally! *cries* I refuse to believe it won't happen.

Okay, and just to get this off my chest...

Obviously everyone is going to have their own ideas on how Goku and co would look in reality - whether it is Chinese or whatever - and that's not going to change and that is fine. But it REALLY doesn't matter people! We all have eyes, noses, and mouths, so what's the problem geeze?

I won the DBZ look-alike contest on a costume site, and I'm not a young boy, asian OR white! So people should honestly stop going on and on about Justin Chatwin or James Marsters! If the budget is good enough, they might have some great looking costumes that really surprise people.

.... *mighty LOLs at VegettoEX's singing music*

Just to make it watchable... I agree with Meri that they should keep it as close to the spirit of DragonBall as possible. I mean, let's not have Goku as a sex symbol or something lol. I would be happy as well if the varying moods of the Dragon world were represented as well. I was initially afraid when I heard about the first 'producer' (or director? forget :shock: ) was the one who filmed Final Destination, because the sunny Dragon World really does not deserve to be turned into the setting for a lousy horror. I think I'll cry if there is more than 1 rain scene.

Edit: Also, Kuririn, and a 'look into the future' for a sequel - either by Baba, a scene of Raditz in a space pod, or Future Trunks having watched the entire story play out. These things will greatly enhance its watchability.

Otherwise I'm definitely watching the movie :o!

ViolentSaiyan

Post by ViolentSaiyan » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:45 pm

What will make a watchable live-action dragonball movie? Probably some good fight scenes. I do also agree with Meri that they should keep it as close to the spirit of DragonBall as possible. Maybe use some cgi effects with characters like Piccolo or maybe not. I haven't watch heroes that much but James kyson lee look a little like yamcha.
Yare Yare Daze

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:17 am

Great episode, as per the norm.

To make a watchable DBZ movie? Pretty much agree with everything Meri said. Make it Dragon Ball, but cut things that may adapt into cheese. Like Galactus in the latest Fantastic Four movie. I thought an indistinguishable cloud of smoke and volcanic rocks was an appropriate alternative to a giant guy in a purple suit.

Interesting Top Five. Allow me to get involved.
5. Armitage: The Third
4. Dominion: Tank Police
3. Trigun
2. (Louie The) Rune Soldier
1. Lupin III

Aside from Trigun, though, I doubt any of them would have a good chance of getting made ever. But I'd really like to see 'em done.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:22 am

The very first thing I did upon finishing the podcast was grab the link to the EBay stuffs and email it to my "e-money benefactor". Actually, I think a Shin Butoten faq was one of the first things I put on my favorites when my computer was repaired in 2002... :D

What would make a liveAction movie watchable...
Jonny Yong Bosh. ^_^
*ahem*. Really, the only thing I could see making it unwatchably horrible would be total and absolute butcherings of characters. I don't expect it to happen without screwing people over (The way they're likely to work in certain things, I.E, saiyans, probably will lead to some iportant people straying a lot, but not unwatchably so), but so long as it's with a degree of reasonability (I.E, Doc Oc in Spider-man 2 was greatly different from his comicbook counterpart, but it was still a freaking awesome movie, let alone watchable).
And if I hear another comment about hair, I may have to find every single piece of Dragonball related artwork in existance and remove the hair from every single saiyan. :evil:
(On that note, I like how it was mentioned in the podcast, but wasn't given an exagerated amount of time compared to bigger things)
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:36 am

Bloody hell, great episode! Glad to hear you guys are Buffyverse fans as well, as myself and a few others here aren't the only ones getting more out of Mr. Marsters' performance than "Who the hell is this guy?". I'm a bit surprised you guys didn't touch on the possible complete removing of Goku's naive/hick/country boy character, considering if the sypnosis from a couple months ago is right, he'll be an 18 year old high school student. Anywho, while I'm busy asking Quantum for the box of popcorn, I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts on this project as news is further released! Oh yeah, dunno why, but I could see a live-action Yu-Gi-Oh! movie being done. >>;;

Fullmetal Alchemist for certain! :shock:

EDIT: Mike, I noticed you and Meri are selling the "Perfect Edition" set of Evangelion (for a very good deal no less, considering it's over a hundred bucks normally). You pick up the Platinum set or the R2 Renewal in its place?
14 years later

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:46 am

Conan the SSJ wrote:EDIT: Mike, I noticed you and Meri are selling the "Perfect Edition" set of Evangelion (for a very good deal no less, considering it's over a hundred bucks normally). You pick up the Platinum set or the R2 Renewal in its place?
Yep. :lol:

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:15 am

Conan the SSJ wrote:Oh yeah, dunno why, but I could see a live-action Yu-Gi-Oh! movie being done. >>;;
I'd love to simply see them attempt to make someone both (at least slightly) resemble Yugi Mutou AND look believable. :P

Gaiash
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gaiash » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:08 am

Shouldn't James Marsters have just recently finished doing his role in season of Torchwood? The guy sure is busy to move from one iconic series (Doctor Who spin-off) to another (Dragon Ball movie). Whats next for him, Harry Potter? James Bond?

And you three need to watch Heroes when you get the box set. You will love the series, especially Hiro.

As for live action anime? An English Death Note series filmed right here in the UK, maybe in Cardiff like Doctor Who.
Proud Advanceshipper (Ash+May)

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:18 am

Gaiash wrote:Shouldn't James Marsters have just recently finished doing his role in season of Torchwood? The guy sure is busy to move from one iconic series (Doctor Who spin-off) to another (Dragon Ball movie). Whats next for him, Harry Potter? James Bond?
Hell, he's been pretty dang busy lately. As you mentioned, he's been doing some work in the UK for Torchwood, he's also guest starring in 4 episodes of Smallville this season, and production on the live-action DB movie apparently starts this month or next. No doubt working on Buffy and Angel prepared him for such an extensive work schedule.
14 years later

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:20 am

I agree that Heroes is simply phenomenal. It's like, the best series on TV right now. I watched the first season in about two days, that's how cool it is.

And Hiro is Trunks.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:58 pm

Yeah, JUST when I already managed to get both TV Specials, FUNi decides to rerelease them. :roll:
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

chronocross
Not-So-Newbie

Post by chronocross » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:15 pm

Man, Funimation makes me angry in so many levels. They destroyed the one version that I was used to (spanish). Even though I am Dragonball fan I do not own any animation though I own all the japanese manga, I guess that is good enough :roll:

I am confuse about the movie. I can see "Spike" as Piccolo, he has those angry eyes. The dude that was cast to play Goku is a young adult so it would be either Goku on the 23th Tenkaichi Budokai. Or Goku at the begging of DBZ.

However, I wonder if they have decided to use only the world of Dragonball, you know maybe they have decided to make it in the future in which Goku is a decendant from the Goku we all know and love.
I aim to misbehave

Son Wukong
Regular

Daizenshuu two !

Post by Son Wukong » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:40 pm

Remember the moment when Goku jumps into the air after he gets a senzu bean just after he beats Piccolo in the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai ??
Well today, I was Goku. Right after I heard that ..I..won..a DAIZENSHUU !! HAHA YATTA ! THANK YOU DAIZEX

:!: Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you !

PS: Meri got my name right :wink:

Keep up the good stuff !