Why wasn't DB Kai a completely new animated series?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular

Re: Why wasn't DB Kai a completely new animated series?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:20 pm

We've had hints of what versions of the series' arcs would look like reanimated via some of the video games and such previously, but ultimately they decided just taking the base Z footage and up converting it to HD with the cutting of filler and some edits/re drawn scenes was good enough.

Grand Marshal 1
Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Thu May 02, 2019 6:15 am

To be honest, Kai could even be a brand new creation like Super, but I guess that as many pointed out, time, money and staff were needed. Not sure if Toei could afford it at the time. Imagine getting some brand new so many years earlier. I guess thtt it oould be good for old-time DB fans, but in the long run, it would have probably worked out worse than Super. Not that Super is bad of course, I enjoyed it.
My posts will speak for myself! :)

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Thu May 02, 2019 3:40 pm

Regarding Yamamuro, it always baffled me how much his art worsened in so little time. His work in the 2008 OVA was halfway decent, which was just roughly a year before Kai.

It would have been very interesting to see a re-animation of the series with the same designs and colors as the JSAT special.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed May 08, 2019 8:28 am

I wish we would get another studio to do remake of Dragon Ball, Dororo and Fruits Basket showed that proper remake is possible with competent studio and staff.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Thu May 09, 2019 10:13 am

It would have been too costly and time consuming given the uncertainty of whether or not such a move would even be successful. If you are Toei, and you want to release the series again, you really only have two options:

1. Do a full fledged re-animation project with new semi-new branding

2. Half-heatedly take the original footage and augment it slightly so it looks "better" (lol) on HD TVs.

At the time, it was a no-brainer. The demand for Dragon Ball was there, but maybe not enough to warrant a full budgeted remake. I still ponder if Kai was simply a means of "testing the waters" to dictate the future of the series. If it was successful, great. We'd get new merchandise, and maybe even a new series and movies at some point! And if not, well, it isn't like Toei broke the bank to produce Kai and I'd guess the franchise would be shelved for another x amount of years.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu May 09, 2019 10:51 am

Big Boss wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:13 am
I still ponder if Kai was simply a means of "testing the waters" to dictate the future of the series. If it was successful, great. We'd get new merchandise, and maybe even a new series and movies at some point! And if not, well, it isn't like Toei broke the bank to produce Kai and I'd guess the franchise would be shelved for another x amount of years.
The original plan was to make a full heroes anime but Toriyama wouldn't get involved so they decided to do Kai instead. Kai is my go to version of the Z part of the story so I'm happy things turned out the way they did (even if Kai is a very falwed product).
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Thu May 09, 2019 11:47 am

sintzu wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:51 am
Big Boss wrote:
I still ponder if Kai was simply a means of "testing the waters" to dictate the future of the series. If it was successful, great. We'd get new merchandise, and maybe even a new series and movies at some point! And if not, well, it isn't like Toei broke the bank to produce Kai and I'd guess the franchise would be shelved for another x amount of years.
The original plan was to make a full heroes anime but Toriyama wouldn't get involved so they decided to do Kai instead. Kai is my go to version of the Z part of the story so I'm happy things turned out the way they did (even if Kai is a very falwed product).
Interesting. So they still COULD have decided to do a remake of Z given they had plans/budgeting for a Heros style anime, but chose not to. Given the state of Kai from a technical perspective, that is to say not great, I do wish Toei would have shifted their plans over to a full remake, but...the allure of the path of least resistance was too strong I guess.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu May 09, 2019 12:10 pm

Big Boss wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:47 am
sintzu wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:51 am
Big Boss wrote:
Interesting. So they still COULD have decided to do a remake of Z given they had plans/budgeting for a Heros style anime, but chose not to. Given the state of Kai from a technical perspective, that is to say not great, I do wish Toei would have shifted their plans over to a full remake, but...the allure of the path of least resistance was too strong I guess.
Even with just a remaster they decided to start form the Z part of the manga instead of remastering both DB & Z. Toei wanted the least amount of risks involved.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Desassina
Advanced Regular

Post by Desassina » Thu May 09, 2019 12:51 pm

I don't know about you, but I enjoy a good remastering process, and the use of original cels blown up to modern resolutions, cut for the intended viewing experience, because the old remasters did it without reason, is a sound strategy for art that was already so good! In Dragon Ball Kai, there's no excuse for us to have the old with a new coat of paint, because it is a new production with an active selection of scenes, along with a new voice cast and soundtrack, despite the fact that a few aspects backfired on them.

In games, and sometimes, we want graphics that resemble what the old ones would look like, should they be made with better technology, like Sonic Mania and Sonic CD. It helps them feel the same and play faithfully, as opposed to Crash Bandicoot, for example.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:15 am

Desassina wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 12:51 pm
I don't know about you, but I enjoy a good remastering process, and the use of original cels blown up to modern resolutions, cut for the intended viewing experience, because the old remasters did it without reason, is a sound strategy for art that was already so good! In Dragon Ball Kai, there's no excuse for us to have the old with a new coat of paint, because it is a new production with an active selection of scenes, along with a new voice cast and soundtrack, despite the fact that a few aspects backfired on them.

In games, and sometimes, we want graphics that resemble what the old ones would look like, should they be made with better technology, like Sonic Mania and Sonic CD. It helps them feel the same and play faithfully, as opposed to Crash Bandicoot, for example.
Sure there was a reason. It was cheap and profitable to.

Ringworm128
I Live Here

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:25 pm

In hindsight, Kai reusing old animation was probably the best choice. If they did redo it from the ground up, it would have been done on the budget of an old Scooby Doo episode. Also it was visually a nice break from the more glossy look of post 90's DB art.
Retired from forum discussion.
[Avatar by Ei_Flow]