Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:55 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:46 pm
WittyUsername wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:45 pm
Scsigs wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:00 pm
That was when the show started being put together & the voice acting was being recorded in Japan. As far as I've seen, the FUNi dub started sometime in 2014 & finished at some point in 2015 or 2016. I'm not sure which, since some of the actors give different timelines for when their lines got recorded. Like, I've seen stuff said that implied Schemmel was one of the last actors, if not the last, to record his lines for some reason.
I remember reading some stuff back in the day that implied it was recorded back in 2013. Colleen Clinkenbeard also voices #18 in it, which suggests that it was recorded before Meredith McCoy became available again.
I mean, they clearly got her back for vocal consistency. While they could've gotten McCoy back for it, it'd break vocal consistency within Kai. While it didn't matter that they got Brad Jackson back as Oolong, as Oolong hadn't appeared much in Kai before TFC, 18 had a good amount of lines in the previous arc that it'd be even more obvious. Though that doesn't answer why they didn't get Dameon Clarke back as Cell, or at least Travis Willingham.
If they were so concerned about vocal consistency, I don’t see why they would’ve brought McCoy back to begin with. Clinkenbeard had already been voicing the character for several years at that point.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:37 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:55 pm
Scsigs wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:46 pm
WittyUsername wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:45 pm
I remember reading some stuff back in the day that implied it was recorded back in 2013. Colleen Clinkenbeard also voices #18 in it, which suggests that it was recorded before Meredith McCoy became available again.
I mean, they clearly got her back for vocal consistency. While they could've gotten McCoy back for it, it'd break vocal consistency within Kai. While it didn't matter that they got Brad Jackson back as Oolong, as Oolong hadn't appeared much in Kai before TFC, 18 had a good amount of lines in the previous arc that it'd be even more obvious. Though that doesn't answer why they didn't get Dameon Clarke back as Cell, or at least Travis Willingham.
If they were so concerned about vocal consistency, I don’t see why they would’ve brought McCoy back to begin with. Clinkenbeard had already been voicing the character for several years at that point.
It's clear that Clinkenbeard was brought in as a temporary replacement. I read that McCoy wasn't readily available when they dubbed Kai originally, but was able to come back by 2014 when they dubbed BOG, unlike Stephanie Nadolny, who, while we don't know the true circumstances, it seems like she & Sabat had some kind of disagreement with how kid & preteen Gohan should be portrayed, so they had Clinkenbeard take over permanently. And, when I talk about vocal consistency, I mean within the series, not the franchise. It's clear that Sabat most likely prefers McCoy voicing 18, so I'm pretty sure that's why he got her back.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

MasenkoHA
I Live Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:46 am

Scsigs wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:37 pm
, unlike Stephanie Nadolny, who, while we don't know the true circumstances, it seems like she & Sabat had some kind of disagreement with how kid & preteen Gohan
Don’t think that was ever the reason. At least according to Nadolny Funimation is somewhat cliquey and she had a vindictive ex-boyfriend who apparently aired her dirty laundry to her employers.

It was also for the longest time assumed she was let go for her multiple DUIs.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:05 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:46 am
Scsigs wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:37 pm
...unlike Stephanie Nadolny, who, while we don't know the true circumstances, it seems like she & Sabat had some kind of disagreement with how kid & preteen Gohan...
Don’t think that was ever the reason. At least according to Nadolny Funimation is somewhat cliquey and she had a vindictive ex-boyfriend who apparently aired her dirty laundry to her employers.

It was also for the longest time assumed she was let go for her multiple DUIs.
Ah. I was only going off of stuff that. I've seen on here, which wasn't much.

LegendBroly

Post by LegendBroly » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:16 pm

Not the best DBZ game released but a fun one. DBZ kakarot is miles above though

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:41 pm

LegendBroly wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:16 pm
Not the best DBZ game released but a fun one. DBZ kakarot is miles above though
Was this meant to be in a different thread?