Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

2quid

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Post by 2quid » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:54 pm

Cautious optimism is the name of the game here lads
*Spends 10 years lurking on Ocean Kai threads*

"I am now a TV Executive"

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:10 pm

2quid wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:54 pm
Yeah, but cautious optimism over ten and a half years is a source of inevitable let-down. Just ask any fan of the Cleveland Browns. :lol:

In any event, I've resigned to never being able to see this dub. That said, I'd be happy to be wrong. I'm just not counting on it.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

2quid

Post by 2quid » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:59 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:10 pm
2quid wrote:
Yeah, but cautious optimism over ten and a half years is a source of inevitable let-down. Just ask any fan of the Cleveland Browns. :lol:

In any event, I've resigned to never being able to see this dub. That said, I'd be happy to be wrong. I'm just not counting on it.
You and I are alike in that then
*Spends 10 years lurking on Ocean Kai threads*

"I am now a TV Executive"

Planetnamek
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:32 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:10 pm
2quid wrote:

Oh I think Cubs fans have them beat :mrgreen: , try waiting over 100 years for another world series win, it took ages but it finally happened and I too believe this dub will see the light of day one way or another.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:02 am

If the resurfacing of the 5 Harmony Gold episodes after about 30 years is anything to go by, I'd never say never with this franchise.

Although, let's hope Ocean Kai's debut won't take quite that long :)
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single
- any of the Bridge Ent DVDs containing the Big Green dubs

If interested PM with offers

Arian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Arian » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:45 am

Alright, well, there's two things I wish to share right now.

1 of which is news but not Dragon Ball-related. The other is Dragon Ball-related but not news.

Anyway, first thing's first. We gotta (at least briefly) talk about Sir Ian James Corlett replacing our fallen hero, Kirby Morrow.

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1359230783609856010

This is huge on two levels! Firstly, that Viz went through such trouble to find our boy, Ian and decide to cast him as Kirby's replacement when they could have gotten anyone, even someone from Bang Zoom!

Secondly, I'm struggling to grasp the concept that Ian Corlett is working with Ocean again after 24 years! This is bananas. Though he did say in recent years that he would assume the role of Goku again if he was ever offered it.

But I mean, just wow. What a great thing to happen. Really gives me hope. ^_^

Next order of business is kind of random, but if now isn't a good time, when is?

A couple of years ago, I reported that I had Episode #26 of Trevor Devall's "Voiceprint" podcast in my possession. This of course is the episode where the late, great Kirby Morrow had officially announced Ocean Kai's existence beyond mere heresay.

I was advised to keep it to myself until Trevor got his website revamped where Devall himself told me that he would have every episode of Voiceprint, including this one, back online. Well, it's been 2 and a half years now and his website is looking pretty plain. Not that I blame him, I'm sure he's a busy guy.

But without further ado, here is this important piece of history.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MLCiio ... sp=sharing

In loving memory of Kirby Morrow.
Go follow my good friend and talented DB artist, Rice Lover right now!: https://twitter.com/ricelover112

Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm
Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:55 am

Arian wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:45 am
Alright, well, there's two things I wish to share right now.

1 of which is news but not Dragon Ball-related. The other is Dragon Ball-related but not news.

Anyway, first thing's first. We gotta (at least briefly) talk about Sir Ian James Corlett replacing our fallen hero, Kirby Morrow.

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1359230783609856010

This is huge on two levels! Firstly, that Viz went through such trouble to find our boy, Ian and decide to cast him as Kirby's replacement when they could have gotten anyone, even someone from Bang Zoom!

Secondly, I'm struggling to grasp the concept that Ian Corlett is working with Ocean again after 24 years! This is bananas. Though he did say in recent years that he would assume the role of Goku again if he was ever offered it.

But I mean, just wow. What a great thing to happen. Really gives me hope. ^_^
Interesting to have the 1st Canadian English adult Goku replace the 3rd. Good casting, Viz &, I assume, Ocean.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:41 pm

https://imissbionix.wordpress.com/2021/ ... d-license/

In a move that should surprise only the most optimistic, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has revoked Comedy Gold’s broadcast license. The move came via the request of Wow Unlimited Media, who has given up on launching a linear television service in Canada – a move it first announced back in June 2017.

Wow submitted the license revocation to the CRTC back in July, with a decision made on February 5th. The announcement notes that the company was unable “to secure funding and distribution to allow the service’s launch.” Citing uncertainties due to the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as the increasing prominence of digital platforms, Wow requested the license be revoked as it saw no way to launch the service in the near or distant future.

Wow received approval from the CRTC to purchase Comedy Gold’s broadcast license from Bell Media in July 2018. They officially took over on September 1, 2019, but rather than launching their new service, the channel space just went dark. The animation company would consistently state its struggles securing the funding needed to launch the venture.

In their initial application to the CRTC, Wow described the stillborn channel as “TV for a Post-TV Generation,” with “plans to develop an immersive, device agnostic, exclusive “destination”, designed to more closely reflect today’s youth, deliver highly targeted programming focused on topics that are relevant and aspirational, but within a media environment kids will love and parents can trust.”

It is worth pointing out that the deal with Bell also saw Wow acquire programming to stream on Crave, with the first batch debuting under the “Wow! World” banner in September 2018. 2021 has started off unusually light on that front. No new Wow-branded content has been added to the service since the third season of Daniel Tiger’s Neighbourhood on January 9th. It’s not yet clear if that’s just a temporary lull or a sign that the partnership (which resulted in Sailor Moon’s addition to the site) might not be as important as it once was. Bell Media itself has gone through mass layoffs and corporate restructuring within the last month.
MyVisionity wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:52 pm
It's ill-fitting for me. Dragon Ball is not a bedtime story. And "laid-back old man" is not how I would describe Yanami's narrator. To me he sounds like the kind of uncle that shows up to the birthday party with loads of fruit punch soda and stuffs himself with pizza and ice cream, or takes you out on his boat at the lake in the summer and goes skinny dipping or something.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Arian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Arian » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:41 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:41 pm
https://imissbionix.wordpress.com/2021/ ... d-license/

In a move that should surprise only the most optimistic, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has revoked Comedy Gold’s broadcast license. The move came via the request of Wow Unlimited Media, who has given up on launching a linear television service in Canada – a move it first announced back in June 2017.

Wow submitted the license revocation to the CRTC back in July, with a decision made on February 5th. The announcement notes that the company was unable “to secure funding and distribution to allow the service’s launch.” Citing uncertainties due to the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as the increasing prominence of digital platforms, Wow requested the license be revoked as it saw no way to launch the service in the near or distant future.

Wow received approval from the CRTC to purchase Comedy Gold’s broadcast license from Bell Media in July 2018. They officially took over on September 1, 2019, but rather than launching their new service, the channel space just went dark. The animation company would consistently state its struggles securing the funding needed to launch the venture.

In their initial application to the CRTC, Wow described the stillborn channel as “TV for a Post-TV Generation,” with “plans to develop an immersive, device agnostic, exclusive “destination”, designed to more closely reflect today’s youth, deliver highly targeted programming focused on topics that are relevant and aspirational, but within a media environment kids will love and parents can trust.”

It is worth pointing out that the deal with Bell also saw Wow acquire programming to stream on Crave, with the first batch debuting under the “Wow! World” banner in September 2018. 2021 has started off unusually light on that front. No new Wow-branded content has been added to the service since the third season of Daniel Tiger’s Neighbourhood on January 9th. It’s not yet clear if that’s just a temporary lull or a sign that the partnership (which resulted in Sailor Moon’s addition to the site) might not be as important as it once was. Bell Media itself has gone through mass layoffs and corporate restructuring within the last month.
It was looking pretty bad from the writing on the wall. This simply solidifies it for the people with their fingers in their ears.
Go follow my good friend and talented DB artist, Rice Lover right now!: https://twitter.com/ricelover112

Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm
Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.