Will we see a Latin American Kai redub before its streamed?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Will we see a Latin American Kai redub before its streamed?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:03 am

I think Toei knows people will accept an edited broadcast BUT MOST CERTAINLY NOT an edited stream. So I think we could see a Kai redub for better or worse. And then again, probably not.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Re: Will we see a Latin American Kai redub before its streamed?

Post by OmegaRockman » Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:56 am

With the constant delays of the HBO Max stream in Latin America (it was supposed to be on the service in July and then on the 12th of this month only to end in crickets), I'm starting to wonder if a redub is the reason why. I'd also buy the WBD merger being the main cause.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

chitsunameru

Post by chitsunameru » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:38 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:03 am I think Toei knows people will accept an edited broadcast BUT MOST CERTAINLY NOT an edited stream. So I think we could see a Kai redub for better or worse. And then again, probably not.
what is it that makes you think people would care about edited streams if they dont have a source without edits with to cast down the stream? Pokemon is only edited as an example. if there isnt an non edited version people have been shown to just take what is served, especially causal anime watchers

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:41 pm

chitsunameru wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:38 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:03 am I think Toei knows people will accept an edited broadcast BUT MOST CERTAINLY NOT an edited stream. So I think we could see a Kai redub for better or worse. And then again, probably not.
what is it that makes you think people would care about edited streams if they dont have a source without edits with to cast down the stream? Pokemon is only edited as an example. if there isnt an non edited version people have been shown to just take what is served, especially causal anime watchers
Because Pokemon doesnt really have an uncut version (Dragonball at least has Z) and has never been about the hardcore fanbase.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:18 am

So after several delays HBO Max finally uploaded Kai to Latino Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese speaking regions of the world starting with the first 54 episodes. Unfortunately for many fans in those regions, it's the existing dub rather than a redub, complete with the Nicktoons censorship.

What's interesting, however, is that they included the English audio, making this upload possibly the first legally available version of that cut in English since the Nicktoons broadcast and website uploads. It should be better quality than the recordings you'll find floating around the web too, so if you're interested in this version of the Funimation English dub you should bust out your VPN and give it a watch.

Also, the Brazilian Portuguese audio of I believe Episode 28 has a little whoopsie, using the Yamamoto music instead of Kikuchi. No clue if the Kikuchi tracks are the placeholders from some broadcasts or the finalized versions from the DVD. Interesting stuff!

My YouTube

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:39 am

Great to finally see Kai streaming somewhere other than WeTV.

With regards to the Yamamto score I see Episode 7 is one of the episodes using it, which is interesting because its one of the episodes where Nicktoons had an alternate Yamamoto track.

I hear The Final Chapters is to be added when HBO Max gets there. It will be the debut of Funimation's edited dub, which is kinda neat too.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:35 am

Oh, nice! Kai is finally appearing somewhere!

Going to be honest--after Toei's Blu-ray release, I'm surprised they themselves haven't done Nicktoons style edits.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:40 pm

OmegaRockman wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:18 am So after several delays HBO Max finally uploaded Kai to Latino Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese speaking regions of the world starting with the first 54 episodes. Unfortunately for many fans in those regions, it's the existing dub rather than a redub, complete with the Nicktoons censorship.
That's pretty much what I expected.
OmegaRockman wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:18 am What's interesting, however, is that they included the English audio, making this upload possibly the first legally available version of that cut in English since the Nicktoons broadcast and website uploads. It should be better quality than the recordings you'll find floating around the web too, so if you're interested in this version of the Funimation English dub you should bust out your VPN and give it a watch.
That, by contrast, is not at all what I expected! That's kinda interesting.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:54 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:35 amGoing to be honest--after Toei's Blu-ray release, I'm surprised they themselves haven't done Nicktoons style edits.
Funimation or TOEI? We know a TV-safe edit of Funimation's Final Chapters dub does exist. As for Nicktoons style edits, it was Ocean Studios that carried out the edits for the Funimation Kai dub aired on the channel, but since The Final Chapters Funimation seem to be doing these things inhouse, or utilizing Bang Zoom instead, which they did for the Bardock and Fusion Reborn screenings in 2018.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:44 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:39 am I hear The Final Chapters is to be added when HBO Max gets there. It will be the debut of Funimation's edited dub, which is kinda neat too.
Really? I thought the Latino Spanish dub of The Final Chapters was based on FUNimation's uncut dub. I know the pre-Final Chapters stuff was based on the censored Nicktoons dub, but I thought after that they switched to the uncut English dub as their basis.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:28 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:54 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:35 amGoing to be honest--after Toei's Blu-ray release, I'm surprised they themselves haven't done Nicktoons style edits.
Funimation or TOEI? We know a TV-safe edit of Funimation's Final Chapters dub does exist. As for Nicktoons style edits, it was Ocean Studios that carried out the edits for the Funimation Kai dub aired on the channel, but since The Final Chapters Funimation seem to be doing these things inhouse, or utilizing Bang Zoom instead, which they did for the Bardock and Fusion Reborn screenings in 2018.
I was actually referring to Toei's censorship for the movies. I can't believe I missed the word "movie."

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:46 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:44 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:39 am I hear The Final Chapters is to be added when HBO Max gets there. It will be the debut of Funimation's edited dub, which is kinda neat too.
Really? I thought the Latino Spanish dub of The Final Chapters was based on FUNimation's uncut dub. I know the pre-Final Chapters stuff was based on the censored Nicktoons dub, but I thought after that they switched to the uncut English dub as their basis.
Yep. There is a small chance because the Super dub airing on ABC is uncut visually other than the eyecatches, but the audio is the edited track with toned down language and Hercule instead of Mr. Satan. Still, I wouldn't be shocked if TFC has the uncut English track if it even has an English track at all.

My YouTube

M16U3L2015
Not-So-Newbie

Post by M16U3L2015 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:26 pm

In fact it is based on the uncut version, but I think it's from an early version since the dub keeps the script of a scene that Team Four Star had adapted before Toei banned Funimation from using it.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:43 pm

M16U3L2015 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:26 pm
In fact it is based on the uncut version, but I think it's from an early version since the dub keeps the script of a scene that Team Four Star had adapted before Toei banned Funimation from using it.
Hahahaha...well, two things come to mind, then:

1 ) Maybe that means the TFS version of that scene will be available in English on HBO Max in Latin America when The Final Chapters is made available.

2 ) It's both hilarious and cool to me that, even though that scene had to be cut, it lives on (in a way) in the Latino Spanish dub. :lol:

TheBalishChannel
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBalishChannel » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:47 am

They've got some pretty cool cel scans in 4K resolutions making up the backgrounds for each of the episodes. So that's 98 cel scans!

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:38 am

Also interestingly, it seems that the English audio tracks on HBO Max (as well as Latin America's Warner Channel via SAP), have select episodes with the Yamamoto score; 7 and 55-65 (with episodes 64 and 65 never having been broadcast with Yamamoto in the States).
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:08 pm

wjbraden wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:38 am Also interestingly, it seems that the English audio tracks on HBO Max (as well as Latin America's Warner Channel via SAP), have select episodes with the Yamamoto score; 7 and 55-65 (with episodes 64 and 65 never having been broadcast with Yamamoto in the States).
As the music scandal dragged on, I kept thinking how much of a logistical nightmare it must have been for FUNimation to keep track of all the different audio mixes they had to make. So it's cool to hear that one of them slipped through the cracks.

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:28 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:08 pm
wjbraden wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:38 am Also interestingly, it seems that the English audio tracks on HBO Max (as well as Latin America's Warner Channel via SAP), have select episodes with the Yamamoto score; 7 and 55-65 (with episodes 64 and 65 never having been broadcast with Yamamoto in the States).
As the music scandal dragged on, I kept thinking how much of a logistical nightmare it must have been for FUNimation to keep track of all the different audio mixes they had to make. So it's cool to hear that one of them slipped through the cracks.
Yeah, absolutely. For anyone who was dubbing the show at the time for that matter.

I wonder how that even got communicated from Toei. "Our parties discovered that there was plagiarism in the M&E materials we previously sent that deems replacement, please advise."??? Pretty insane no matter how you shake it.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:20 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:08 pm
Yeah, honestly I was kinda bummed that an edited version of Kai with the Kikuchi score existed (it was seen in the Kix broadcasts) because, in situations like this where the Nicktoons cut was being used and an English track was needed I think we all know what version of this show would have been ideal to avoid any legal repercussions of using a plagiarised score.......Ocean Kai

M16U3L2015
Not-So-Newbie

Post by M16U3L2015 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:37 pm

The Final Chapters has just been released on HBO Max and has no English audio track, only Spanish and Japanese with subtitles. Understandable, since this dubbing was based on the uncut version.

One good thing is that we finally have an uncensored version of this dub since the version that was aired on Cartoon Network LA had a lot of cut scenes.