Here are some extra things I noted amongst the sea of non-DB-related stuff:
- (For Westwood/Ocean Z) the pronunciation of Dr. Gero (Gyro) was something Brian Dobson disagreed with the (then) director on. He also curiously mentioned the name "Bev"(?).
According to him he always wanted the Jero pronunciation but couldn't get his way.
- Karl then spoke about how a project coordinator will often have a pronunciation guide directly from the producer, and sometimes they have to inform the producer that they've used a different pronunciation a number of times already and push them not to change it.
- Paul Dobson's Dr. Kochin was cast because everyone found the laugh he created very amusing.
- Barry Watson was apparently fluent in spanish which explains a little bit about Funi acquiring Mexican materials. Karl even mentions remembering going on a trip to Mexico with Barry and another engineer. Terry Klassen has also mentioned trips with Barry which is interesting.
- (Not sure if Z or Kai but..) Karl fondly remembers directing Don Brown (King Kai) training Goku on his planet.
- When asked if the Z scripts were based on a direct translation, Karl says that mostly yes but then it's rewritten for 'fit' (mouth flaps) but also sometimes for broadcast (standards and practices).
Note: The fan asking didn't specify which part of Z (Saban/Funi, Pioneer or later Ocean)
- Brian Dobson mentions that he "used to be one of those guys" and says he used to write for Dragon Ball (not exactly sure which he was referring to here, but he mentions a VHS machine so probably either DB or Z...) as a "script tweaker" which seems to be a job that involved rewriting dialogue to fit, and sometimes rewriting story itself to make dialogue make sense.
- About how much of Z Karl directed: He said "most of the ones at Ocean" meaning he probably wasn't involved in the Westwood stuff.
- About how much of Kai Karl directed: He said he "directed all of the Kai that was at Ocean"
- Karl had assumed Kai was released and was surprised to find out it hadn't. He did also say that (in regards to the quality) Kai was "freakin' awesome"
- Karl said there was a couple of new castings that had to happen "for availability and what not" that were "kind of amazing".
- When asked about characters they'd like to return to voice: Brian Dobson mentioned Dr. Gero as one of them indicating he didn't get to reprise. This may have been revealed before but I don't recall where at this time.
- Karl said that Brian Drummond was insistent on keeping 'Over 9000' because "that was popular" but the producers wanted the more accurate 8000.
- Karl couldn't recall who did Bardock but he doesn't think it was Kirby.
- When asked if translations are done by Toei or in-house Karl responded that they were done in-house but with client approval. "Almost always the case" he says. Although he was then unsure if Funimation wrote their own scripts (thinking back to Saban dub) so he may have been referring to his translation process for Pioneer Z and Kai.
- Karl said he'll talk to the casting people to find out who played Krillin and Trunks
- Karl would love to dub DB Super but it isn't for him to decide. Says he misses that universe.
- Karl doesn't seem to prioritize voice matches, instead prefers believability of the voice and performance to be the focus of a casting.
- Regarding the "beefed up" sound effects/M&E tracks: Karl says that it's sometimes requested for older shows that are going to be broadcast because the old sounds either don't hold up to modern broadcast standards or compete with other contemporary shows. However, sometimes they want the opposite and prefer it to sound close to the original, so it depends on the producers.