Dragonball Kai (FUNimation English) Dub: General Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:31 pm

I have to agree with obiwan. Unless there's absolutely no way to avoid them, Japanese speech elements like the honorifics don't belong in a non-Japanese dub. There's plenty of ways to get the meanings across with just a little creativity.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:10 pm

Just don't call everyone "Mr.", "Mrs.", or "Ms." ______ for every use of "-san" and we're golden.

Cheska_Briune

Post by Cheska_Briune » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:46 am

Funi is too into their remastered sets right now for DBZ (and the upcoming DB sets) and etc to really take the Kai project in right now, especially since it's only four episodes in right now. If anything, they won't start on it for at least a few years (most likely anyway). But by the off chance they do start sometime in the near future, it'll be at least a year. That's just my opinion though.

And, like many others have mentioned, it'll give a chance for Funi to make DBZ (Kai) the proper way, and not a watered down version (inaccurate lines, etc).

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:12 am

Cheska_Briune wrote:Funi is too into their remastered sets right now for DBZ (and the upcoming DB sets) and etc to really take the Kai project in right now, especially since it's only four episodes in right now. If anything, they won't start on it for at least a few years (most likely anyway). But by the off chance they do start sometime in the near future, it'll be at least a year. That's just my opinion though.
There's no such thing as upcoming Dragon Ball sets.

Cheska_Briune

Post by Cheska_Briune » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:27 am

Innagadadavida wrote:
Cheska_Briune wrote:Funi is too into their remastered sets right now for DBZ (and the upcoming DB sets) and etc to really take the Kai project in right now, especially since it's only four episodes in right now. If anything, they won't start on it for at least a few years (most likely anyway). But by the off chance they do start sometime in the near future, it'll be at least a year. That's just my opinion though.
There's no such thing as upcoming Dragon Ball sets.
Oh, sorry, guess it was just rumors then. I had heard that they planned on releasing Dragon Ball similarly to the way DBZ is being treated with the DVD box sets right now.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:59 am

Cheska_Briune wrote:Oh, sorry, guess it was just rumors then. I had heard that they planned on releasing Dragon Ball similarly to the way DBZ is being treated with the DVD box sets right now.
Its no problem. That's a pretty common rumor. A lot of people say they're coming in 2010 because contractual obligations between Lionsgate and FUNimation, for the first 13 episodes, become null. As you can see in this post, VegettoEX contacted Lionsgate and came back with nothing reassuring to say. There has been no official word on a Dragon Ball release.

Which brings me to an on topic point. What kind of chance do we have with FUNimation picking up Kai if they won't do anything about this Dragon Ball contract. I'm no legal expert but its only 13 episodes; they can't be THAT expensive to pay for. Not if you consider that the Orange Box Sets clearly do well enough to remain on store shelves. All nine of them are still at Wal-Mart every time I go and sometimes there's one or two sold out.

I mean, with seemingly no effort put forth in distributing the original series, it just makes it look like they're done with Dragon Ball. Like they've moved on and don't care about it anymore.

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:49 pm

I can only assume that the Dragonball Box sets didn't sell all that well in their initial release, and that's why Funi hasn't dropped any money on a potential new release.

Seriously, I had no idea Funimation even put out those Dragon ball sets until it was way too late. Somehow they went completely under the radar. I don't even remember seeing them in stores.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:04 pm

If they are going to dub this, I suggest they get new voices. Seriously.

Give us a Goku that actually sounds like the Japanese version, like IAN CORLETT. He was perfect, all that needed adjusting was the dialogue to make him sound like a country bumpkin. Though I don't know anyone who could do the voice as good as him at Funi. Maybe Justin Cook, if he tried, idk..

Make Gohan sound like a wimp, KIND OF like Chopper from their OP dub.

I don't like Chris Sabat as Piccolo, but I can't think of anyone else who could do a good Piccolo..

I know someone who would be perfect for Vegeta; Chris Patton. His performance for Tullece could have passed for Vegeta.

Point is, they really need to turn it up on the performances, give new voice actors a shot at dubbing a DB series.

Granted everyone's so used to the current voices, I doubt they'll change them.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:41 am

NeoKING wrote:Granted everyone's so used to the current voices, I doubt they'll change them.
I'm not understanding the point of your post, bro...
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:07 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:I have to agree with obiwan. Unless there's absolutely no way to avoid them, Japanese speech elements like the honorifics don't belong in a non-Japanese dub. There's plenty of ways to get the meanings across with just a little creativity.
I agree too, those specifically Japanese marks should be avoided. In the new translation of the manga in France, they first kept some of them, like Bulma saying "Son-kun" or Gohan saying "Piccolo-san" (with notes explaining those marks though). Now with the Kanzenban release, they are slightly updating that translation so that all these Japanese elements that don't belong to a non-Japanese language are replaced by more fitting ways to express affection, respects, etc... and they prove it's possible to find clever equivalents, as you said. I prefer that as far as I'm concerned.

However, these marks could be kept in a book, because even if doesn't sound natural to the target language, there are notes to explain them so that it's not an unknown element. In a dub, there's no room for explaining a term to those who are not familiar with it (when it's a name it's fine but when it's part of the grammatical sentence, it could bother people), or then it's clumsy, so there really shouldn't be honorifics or any other Japanese-specific mark in my opinion...

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:41 am

I agree that name suffixes do not belong at all in an English dub of Dragon Ball Kai, but that's because they're not Japanese. It would be like having Alphonse call Edward "Nii-san" in the English dub. But for shows that take place in Japan, like Bleach, I wouldn't mind having Japanese name suffixes in the English dub.
B wrote:I'd rather just delete "Son" since they'd probably use "Goku Son" which sounds... just plain gross.
In Burst Limit Gokuh addressed himself as "Son Goku", so I doubt FUNimation would switch it around.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:20 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:In Burst Limit Gokuh addressed himself as "Son Goku", so I doubt FUNimation would switch it around.
At the 25th World Martial Arts Tournament in DBZ, Piccolo went by "Ma Junior", saying it's what he went by last time. At the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament in DB, he went by "Junior". Funi aren't always consistant in how they use terms.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:23 pm

Searching through FUNi's blog I can't help but notice the choice of an image of DBK used for advertizing for Mr. Strait and Mr. McFarland's signings: http://blog.funimation.com/2009/07/funi ... -and-play/

It's probably a terrible tease...or nothing at all...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:40 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Searching through FUNi's blog I can't help but notice the choice of an image of DBK used for advertizing for Mr. Strait and Mr. McFarland's signings: http://blog.funimation.com/2009/07/funi ... -and-play/

It's probably a terrible tease...or nothing at all...
I'm calling Kai streams. Holy freaking crap...

... Unless this guy is lumping everything together as "DBZ," and it's more Dragon Ball stuff. That seems more likely.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:58 am

Hahaha.

I went on a quest the other day to figure out if that screen-cap was from a Kai encode. I determined it was not (certain framing aspects, grain, colors, even taking compression into consideration). I was all prepared to have a nice little exposé article about it, too :P.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:21 am

B wrote:I'd rather just delete "Son" since they'd probably use "Goku Son" which sounds... just plain gross.
I don't hear them saying Luffy D. Monkey in One Piece.

Pain

Post by Pain » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:41 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
I don't hear them saying Luffy D. Monkey in One Piece.
Yeah, they used the term "Son Goku" in Burst Limit, so I see no problems, here.
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

Freeza.exe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza.exe » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:37 pm

So I guess the choices are Funi uses the old scripts and copy and pastes lines where appropriate and just rerecord the lines. They can use the old performances and the old script. (I think this may be likely because Mr. Sean seemed to be too busy to record Goku for the DBZ redubs on the orange bricks.) Or they will rework the entire script and rerecord all new lines.

To all the dub fans which version out of these three do you actually WANT? I'm sure some of you may love the script as it is, would you be offended if they reworked it? Would you miss the original performances or do you like the newer voices better?
My friend broke my PSP just in time for Naruto Ultimate Ninja 5 to come out....WHOOOO!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:19 pm

Well, Funi's got such a wide selection of VA's to choose from now, so I'd like to see some recasts. If anything, I'd like a different dub voice for Freeza.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:22 pm

Chuquita wrote:Well, Funi's got such a wide selection of VA's to choose from now, so I'd like to see some recasts. If anything, I'd like a different dub voice for Freeza.
I really really doubt Funi will be recasting though. As much as I don't care for a good chunk of the dub voices I would almost not want them to anyway. It just seems like a kick in the balls to the people who have been playing these roles for years upon years to get told to pack their things and leave. I don't like that they're doing it in Kai and I wouldn't like it in this situation. But yeah, it doesn't seem like Funi's style to do something like that anyway.

Then again I can see them recasting smaller roles like they were doing in the Tenkaichi games such as King Kold. (I don't have an issue with this so much seeing as how these minor characters are usually dead within an episode or two.)
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight