Dragonball Kai (FUNimation English) Dub: General Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dragonball Kai Dub

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 24, 2010 3:33 pm

Kirbopher wrote:Normally I wouldn't care either since it's the edited version. But, the "big thing" I was teasing about a while back, may possibly be showcased in this episode, as weird as that sounds. I don't know 100% for sure, but you guys definitely wanna be there for the beginning of the first episode, just in case.
Hmmm...well then, let's use logic to decode this.

At this point, every character who has appeared in this episode has done multiple episodes. We know FUNimation won't use the original attack names in the broadcast dub. We also know that this is going to be something we here will specifically love. Thus, I am 99% sure Freeza was recast at the very last moment now. Not positve, but 99% sure.
Last edited by JulieYBM on Mon May 24, 2010 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Mon May 24, 2010 3:33 pm

I am definitely watching tonight. I'll have no other means to watch it, as I don't plan to buy the sets.

Oh, and 8PM EST.
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon May 24, 2010 3:59 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Thus, I am 99% sure Freeza was recast at the very last moment now. Not positve, but 99% sure.
Agreed. I'm gonna say it's a Freeza recast. If it's true, then I'm sorry to see the old one go for nostalgia's sake. But I do look forward to a new voice.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetalMadness » Mon May 24, 2010 5:25 pm

Well Kirbopher basically told us now that the big news is a Freeza recast ;)

However, I doubt we'll be seeing that tonight as the clips shown on the nicktoons website had Linda Young doing the laugh, I doubt they'll air something different from the clips they showed, but who knows?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 24, 2010 5:28 pm

Big Momma wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Thus, I am 99% sure Freeza was recast at the very last moment now. Not positve, but 99% sure.
Agreed. I'm gonna say it's a Freeza recast. If it's true, then I'm sorry to see the old one go for nostalgia's sake. But I do look forward to a new voice.
Assuming this is true--assuming--I imagine the poor lady feels terrible. Assuming this is true.
She/Her
bisexual milf

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon May 24, 2010 5:35 pm

As much as I dislike Linda Young as Freeza, I think I would feel a little bad for her if she was given the role for just that beginning of episode 1 and then let go. It seems a little unfair.

Not sure why I feel this way, considering how brutal I can be. :lol:
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon May 24, 2010 6:05 pm

I highly doubt Frieza's been replaced. Meethinks you're all desperately getting your hopes up.

I mean, just use your heads: if that were the case, wouldn't people who have the DVD already report it? It's obviously some broadcast only thing.
Last edited by jjgp1112 on Mon May 24, 2010 6:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon May 24, 2010 6:06 pm

I wouldn't believe it until I heard it, so I'm treating it as an unfounded rumor.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 24, 2010 6:24 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:I highly doubt Freeza's been replaced. Meethinks you're all desperately getting your hopes up.

I mean, just use your heads: if that were the case, wouldn't people who have the DVD already report it? It's obviously some broadcast only thing.
Not unless the decision was made after the home videos were pressed/encoded/whathaveyou. Freeza doesn't speak again until #19. That's quite a ways off.

But again, while it's the only thing that would makes any sort of sense at all, there is no confirmation at all.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Mon May 24, 2010 6:40 pm

Yeah don't get your hopes up guys, I genuinely DON'T know 100% if what I was talking about a while back will be in this, but check it out just in case. Also a fair point was made about wanting to support the broadcast ratings to help out the franchise in any way ya can.

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Tue May 25, 2010 12:03 am

Just got finished watching Kai on Nicktoons, and Freeza has not been replaced. Awesome dub, though.
You must have faith in who you are.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Tue May 25, 2010 12:06 am

dragondyle wrote:Just got finished watching Kai on Nicktoons, and Freeza has not been replaced. Awesome dub, though.
If only Nicktoons available in SEA

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Tue May 25, 2010 1:09 am

8000?! What the hell?!

It should be 9000!
I felt like screaming when I saw this comment.
EDIT: Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vi59LHT3hs

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue May 25, 2010 1:52 am

So....Kirbopher...can you at least tell us if Vic's rendition of "Dragon Soul" is the big news or not?
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.

mystic trunks
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mystic trunks » Tue May 25, 2010 2:03 am

I hope not. Schemmel's was so much better anyway.

Sanjiscool
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sanjiscool » Tue May 25, 2010 2:20 am

Big Momma wrote:So....Kirbopher...can you at least tell us if Vic's rendition of "Dragon Soul" is the big news or not?
At the very least I can tell you that it was not, though it was still surprising to me.

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Tue May 25, 2010 2:39 am

He's right. The song bit wasn't too surprising for me, but it was still kinda interesting.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue May 25, 2010 3:03 am

*Sigh of relief*

Not to complain, I really like both versions. But a last minute...ONE minute long, redub of the opening wouldn't have been a good surprise, haha :P

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Tue May 25, 2010 4:15 am

I'm going to be severely pissed if it winds up that Freeza is in fact recast. It's waaaaaay to big of a role to take in a completely new direction after all of these years. Too many people are too used to it. It's not fair for those of us who enjoy it to have to suffer like that essentially to please a fan base that will never prefer the Dub.

Plus, like someone already said. If they had Linda simply perform a laugh in Episode 1 and then just drop her after that. It's an absolutely dick move.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue May 25, 2010 4:23 am

Big Momma wrote:So....Kirbopher...can you at least tell us if Vic's rendition of "Dragon Soul" is the big news or not?
Wait, Vic did a rendition of Dragon Soul?