Dragonball Kai (FUNimation English) Dub: General Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ShiningMoon
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragonball Kai (FUNimation English) Dub: General Discuss

Post by ShiningMoon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:52 pm

I think I'd die and go to heaven if my boyfriend suggested 'doing things' while watching DBZ. :lol: (Sorry, just had to comment.)

Ashy-kun
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashy-kun » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:59 pm

*blushes* Wouldn't that get a little distracting, if you're hearing the constant kiai at... Ahem... Critical moments? Would you really want to remember the moment with a Nozawa scream or Sabat scream, or perhaps worse (at least for my ears) a Nozawa "Kh-kh-kh" thing?
Your freelance, amateur translator, with over a year's worth of self-taught experience. Once an honorary member of Team Kinniku, and a man with his work shown in various places here and there. If you have a song you'd like me to look over, I'll happily look it over and see if I can translate it for you.

Most Recent Song Added to Ashy-kun's Song Translation Topic: Yoake no Kodomo-tachi (Translated: The Children of the Dawn)

Ringworm128
Banned

Re: New Kai episodes Feb. 9th on Nicktoons, Cell arc adverti

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:17 pm

Soul wrote:Here's the Promo: http://youtu.be/dO4AgdVBDcQ
Awesome this has gotten me more exited about King Colds voice it was only a 2 second laugh but its really gotten my hopes up. It sounded like his old voice but it also sounded really gruff to.

ShiningMoon
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShiningMoon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:35 pm

Ashy-kun wrote:*blushes* Wouldn't that get a little distracting, if you're hearing the constant kiai at... Ahem... Critical moments? Would you really want to remember the moment with a Nozawa scream or Sabat scream, or perhaps worse (at least for my ears) a Nozawa "Kh-kh-kh" thing?
Hmmm, I don't know, "distracting" or "supplemental"? ;) Well, I think it would be the latter, at least, were it, say, Goku's scream at the end of that promo. Mmmm.
Though now that you mention it, maybe I should really be questioning my definition of "spicing it up"...
(I should probably mostly be worried that I can't tell if I'm kidding or not.)

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:19 am

I can't tell if this is hot, or fucked up.

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:34 am

Yeahhhhh this really isn't what I was going for...

So, how about that Kai dub?!

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:31 am

I'm totally aroused right now.

Turtle Marked Stone
Regular

Post by Turtle Marked Stone » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:02 am

Innagadadavida wrote:Nope, he's not referred to as Guru in the Nicktoons version either. Only the original DBZ dub.
Well...fuck. Why'd on Earth did I think that? Could have sworn I heard "Guru" on Nicktoons last time I watched. Maybe I heard it in Raging Blast 2 and misremembered the source. (I KNOW it's in RB2!) :lol:

Also Dragonball sex.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:11 pm

Eh, I'd rather knock boots to something by Trent Reznor, Porcupine Tree, or Mike Patton's
Music to Make Love to Your Old Lady By than a childrens show.

ShiningMoon
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShiningMoon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:25 pm

Yikes, sorry for contributing in part to that derailment. Don't mind me over here. >_> (And goodness, no, no, no, I wasn't trying to say that DBZ was the best soundtrack for...)

I haven't watched all (or even most) of the Namek arc episodes (thus far) on Nicktoons' website, but I think I'd remember if I heard "Guru"... (There's my weak contribution to an on-topic discussion in an attempt to atone for making my inappropriate comments before.)

I'm a little disappointed in myself, because I ordered the second Kai DVD set a month ago and I haven't even watched any of it yet...I'm getting way behind on Kai, in general, aside from occasionally deciding to watch an episode on Nicktoons' website (i.e. if it's mentioned/discussed in this thread and I have to go find out what people are talking about).

Ashy-kun
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashy-kun » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:27 am

I also need to catch up with Kai's releases. I only just got the second volume (granted, as I'm in the UK and I had to import, I did have a month or so of waiting for shipping to take its finger out, but still...), and I need to try and get the third volume soon, too.
Your freelance, amateur translator, with over a year's worth of self-taught experience. Once an honorary member of Team Kinniku, and a man with his work shown in various places here and there. If you have a song you'd like me to look over, I'll happily look it over and see if I can translate it for you.

Most Recent Song Added to Ashy-kun's Song Translation Topic: Yoake no Kodomo-tachi (Translated: The Children of the Dawn)

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mountain » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:44 pm

Hopefully Eric Vale has toned down his raspiness, as Trunks, because it's actually not a bad voice for the character; he's likeable and, somewhat, gets the point across.

www.KristaMichaels.com

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:58 pm

Yeah, he might actually make a decent Trunks if he were to drop the raspiness.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:24 pm

I made a mistake. Episode 51 airs next Saturday, not on Super Bowl Sunday.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:27 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:I made a mistake. Episode 51 airs next Saturday, not on Super Bowl Sunday.
So, all that rabble for nothin'?
http://www.priceisrightfail.com/
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:32 pm

Is it just me or does "raspiness" seem to be a common complaint by fans about dub voices?

Oh yeah, and I don't see a problem with Eric Vale's Trunks.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:38 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Is it just me or does "raspiness" seem to be a common complaint by fans about dub voices?

Mostly because most people are just NOT that raspy. I've never met a man of Trunks age or stature with a rasp like that. -Ever-.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:47 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:Is it just me or does "raspiness" seem to be a common complaint by fans about dub voices?

Mostly because most people are just NOT that raspy. I've never met a man of Trunks age or stature with a rasp like that. -Ever-.
I know that, it's just that people always seem to note "raspiness" as one of the problems with some of the dub voices, like Schemmel's Goku, Nadolny's Gohan or Sabat's Vegeta. I personally never had a problem with Schemmel's Goku or Vale's Trunks, but for those that do and for the others' "raspy" voices, what is it with the FUNi voice actors that apparently can't do their voices without sounding hoarse?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:34 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:
DB_Fan1991 wrote:I made a mistake. Episode 51 airs next Saturday, not on Super Bowl Sunday.
So, all that rabble for nothin'?
http://www.priceisrightfail.com/
Yeah, I was being an idiot, and got my days screwed up.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:18 pm

If Vale can make his Trunks voice closer to his natural speaking voice, his good Trunks voice can become great.