Dragonball Kai (FUNimation English) Dub: General Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dragonball Kai (FUNimation English) Dub: General Discuss

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:05 pm

I don't remember Daimao's translation...but the dialogue from the Artificial Humans was painfully "we're trying to be sciency-robots" for my tastes. No. 19's voices isn't much of an improvement, either.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetalMadness » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:05 am

Wow #19 sounds way too forcibly robotic... it's like when I see the character open his mouth, I don't feel like he's actually speaking, I feel like it's just some sort of inserted voice over. I don't like it at all.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:12 am

batistabus wrote:The only thing I heard wrong with the script was Piccolo saying something about "write me a postcard"...hopefully it was a censorship.

I like Gero. My only problem with him is that he sounds too much like Tao.

19 is a huge improvement in my book, even though he's still a bit too high pitched. I don't mind the robotic effect.

I think everyone else was great.
Where is everyone watching these?

Anyway, "go home and write me a letter?" uh? I am again reminded of "ducks in a row" :lol:
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:17 am

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Where is everyone watching these?

Anyway, "go home and write me a letter?" uh? I am again reminded of "ducks in a row" :lol:
Here:
Also, I'm guessing the "write me a letter" thing is an edited line, considering Gero, now ready for battle, says "Fine by me..." in response, though admittedly that's not really much to go on.

It may be an edited line for something like "I'll tell you over my dead body."
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

UristtheGreat
Beyond Newbie

Post by UristtheGreat » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:25 am

Metalwario64 wrote:They're still going with the robotic filter for 19. Though Todd Haberkorn uses a lower pitched voice for 19's voice than Phillip Wilburn, and the filter is a bit more subtle, so I'd say it works well.

They also cut out Gero punching through Yamcha's stomach, but they kept the first part in where Yamcha looks shocked and you hear the sound effect of it. They also keep the hole in Yamcha's stomach intact, though it's colored black (is it like this in the original, something Kai did, or a NickToons edit?).

Also, Gero sounds much better to me, and I already thought he was pretty good before.
The hole is colored black? It looks like a dark red color to me. Also, the edit almost makes it seem like Gero crushed Yamcha's skull which is even worse.
LeprikanGT wrote:...I LOVE that we are getting the Dragonboxes, but the JP ones are HUGE ones are noticably taller and the dicks dont overlap.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:46 am

After watching yesterday's episode, I can say I'm not too keen on the new King Kold. Will say the robotic sounds to Cyber-Frieza was something I didn't expect. Was also surprised they still showed him missing half his face. And we got to see Yamcha lose his balls unfortunately.

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:47 am

I hate Android #19's voice it sounds horrible and to much like a robot.

Also what was up with Piccolo's line where he says "Where is Vegeta? Out buying some baby formula?"

Weird.

Oh, and here are the previews for some of the episodes if anybody is interested in the future title names.

http://nicktoons.nick.com/videos/clip/d ... ep-60.html

http://nicktoons.nick.com/videos/clip/d ... ep-61.html

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:01 am

So, are these eps being put up daily on Nicktoons' site or something?

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:29 am

Watching 60 now, I'm actually liking #19's voice for the most part. It's kind of a nice marriage between the two voices. Everyone else sounds pretty spot-on too...even the background guys. Looks like there's a pretty largely rounded-out cast of additional voices for these episodes.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:15 am

Feast your eyes... on Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack!!!

<3

EDIT: Also, interesting how the episode page on NickToons' site has a direct translation of the Japanese title (No Chance for Victory Against No. 19! Super Vegeta Arrives Late!) as opposed to the one the dub used (No Victory for Android 19! Enter Super Vegeta!).
Last edited by Puto on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:29 am

Actually, Android 19's voice grew on me as time went along and I actually enjoyed it. I also like Android 20's voice as well.

Thanks for posting the links to episodes 60 and 61.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:42 am

Puto wrote:Feast your eyes... on Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack!!!

<3

EDIT: Also, interesting how the episode page on NickToons' site has a direct translation of the Japanese title (No Chance for Victory Against No. 19! Super Vegeta Arrives Late!) as opposed to the one the dub used (No Victory for Android 19! Enter Super Vegeta!).
I've been waiting for that line to be used since Kai came out. Ever since the Budokai days, I recall that line being used, roughly, in the attack.

Watching the attack made me check back to my volume 22 of Saint Seiya, and ironically, the Big Bang Attack's growing sphere ending a mushroom cloud effect of the Big Bang level Athena Exclamation (first time watching the scene since reading the original manga). The attack was done differently in the manga (volume 13 of DBZ, or volume 29 of DB as a whole), so maybe it was Toei tributing a scene they never got to anime on an old series they did (or maybe I'm looking too far into things. I blame the Soul Society arc of Bleach being a direct rip of SS's Sanctuary arc for making me look for such similarities more consciously).

#19's voice was an interesting choice. Rather than just being a high pitched filter, it sounded different. Not bad. It is somewhat fitting, considering #19 really had no humanity, unlike Gero (well, maybe not humanity in a good way), the Cyborgs, and Cell. #16 might get a filter, but if done right, it might not be too terrible. Gero was also pretty good, sounded great to my ears. Though, the dialog certainly helped things...at least, to me it did.

I'm really enjoying the voice work all around in these episodes, and the scripting hasn't been too terrible lately. I think I might be able to say that this is a good sign that the quality of the dub's going to remain high, despite a brief moment of being rocky.

So, now, it's just a brief wait to reach #16, #17, and #18, and then Cell after them. Each returning or new voice fills me with a mixture of excitement and curiosity, to see what Kai has done with the roll.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:01 am

I noticed that, of course, they used Colleen Clinkenbeard as little Goku in the flashback to the robots spying on him.

Ehhh, I guess Sabat's Vegeta was okay when he became a Super Saiyan, but for some reason, I was expecting better.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:28 am

KaiserNeko wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:There's nothing wrong with showing a scene of Goku accidentally knocking Chi-Chi out of his house. This patronizing sexism crap about not being allowed to show men hitting women is just political correctness bullshit. Yes, on average, women are weaker than men. But that doesn't mean that if you show a scene of a man hitting a woman, it's suddenly sexist and offensive to women.
Oh, as I said, it was ridiculous to cut the scene. It's OBVIOUSLY not spousal abuse, it's done in a comedic manner, and she's pretty much fine afterwards. It wasn't even an actual strike, it was a pat that was too hard.
Yeah, I agree.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:31 am

PuppetDoctor wrote:Also what was up with Piccolo's line where he says "Where is Vegeta? Out buying some baby formula?"
Yeah, that's just weird. I think this is FUNi trying to add in jokes again.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:30 am

That is not half bad. If they're going to throw in a joke... We could do a lot worse than baby formula.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:34 am

Innagadadavida wrote:That is not half bad. If they're going to throw in a joke... We could do a lot worse than baby formula.
Yeah, I was just pointing it out and that it was a bit weird for them to do that.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:05 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:That is not half bad. If they're going to throw in a joke... We could do a lot worse than baby formula.
Agreed. The jokes they've thrown in so far at somewhat appropriate, at least.

Anway, given that I thought these particular scenes were all right the first time around, sans Vegeta's making three times as many machine jokes as he should have, I am loving the new version. Williams' Gero is still perfect, I like the new #19, far creepier, and what's with Yamucha's voice?
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:33 pm

Piccolo: Where's Vegeta anyway.....out buying formula ?

Piccolo: If want to get it out of me, you're gonna have to write me a polite letter...

I love the dub. :lol: