Dragonball Kai (FUNimation English) Dub: General Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragonball Kai (FUNimation English) Dub: General Discuss

Post by Ahiru77 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:49 pm

Episode 64

Man, I loved everything about this episode. I can't wait to see more.

18's new voice is great. I always wanted her to sound this cute. :mrgreen:
The revised script was awesome and so was the delivery.

And I'm really glad to hear Chuck Huber being back in the game.....so I guess he's feeling better. :D

Ussj Future Trunks
Regular

Post by Ussj Future Trunks » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:22 am

I hate how some people (no one here) don't give the new voices a chance. They suck just because its not the old voice. Damn nostalgia. But at least they know how we once felt when Ocean changed to crap early Funi in episode 54.
Simian upstart...none surpass me. No one even comes close! BURN THIS INTO YOUR MIND! I am emperor of the universe. The likes of you are only fit to grovel at my feet. Or better still...to be crushed...LIKE AN INSECT AT THE WHIM OF YOUR MASTER!

- Freeza, DBZ Kai.

Zeta

Post by Zeta » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:33 pm

Ussj Future Trunks wrote:I hate how some people (no one here) don't give the new voices a chance. They suck just because it's not the old voice.
I couldn't of say it any better. It's just some people that just can't take their nostalgia glasses off, and give something new a chance. Anyways... the old DBZ BGM was well used in EP.64, 18's new voice fits well, and let's see how the old DBZ BGM is handled in the next upcoming episodes.

What Up Namek!

Post by What Up Namek! » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:38 pm

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:Why are you all surprised about 18's new voice actress? We already know about this since RB2... or maybe you all assumed that was a one-time thing?
Jackal puFF wrote:She sounds sexy.. 8) Make's Krillin falling in love a lot more believable now.
Listen to 18's Japanese voice. Now, THAT is sexy.
Probably because not everyone rushed out to buy that piece of crap game. Not everyone rushes out to by DBZ games, specially when they have such a bad rep of being mediocre or awful.

I DEFINITELY prefer 18's original dub voice but its not like this one is bad so it won't be a problem getting used to it. I am starting to prefer the original dubs female voice actors over Kai's though.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:23 pm

What Up Namek! wrote:
Goku100xKamehameha wrote:Why are you all surprised about 18's new voice actress? We already know about this since RB2... or maybe you all assumed that was a one-time thing?
Jackal puFF wrote:She sounds sexy.. 8) Make's Krillin falling in love a lot more believable now.
Listen to 18's Japanese voice. Now, THAT is sexy.
Probably because not everyone rushed out to buy that piece of crap game. Not everyone rushes out to by DBZ games, specially when they have such a bad rep of being mediocre or awful.

I DEFINITELY prefer 18's original dub voice but its not like this one is bad so it won't be a problem getting used to it. I am starting to prefer the original dubs female voice actors over Kai's though.
True that.. I'm not going to rush out and buy a lame game!

Anyways. Now that I'm used to 18's new voice.. The old one.. No offense, just sounds like a lesbian trying to be a straight girl lol.

funrush

Post by funrush » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:10 pm

Episode 65 aired with the Kikuchi score. It was placed pretty well, at least in my opinion. I got to see more of Jeremy Inman's new #16 voice, which was pretty good. Overall the episode was enjoyable.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:32 am

funrush wrote:Episode 65 aired with the Kikuchi score. It was placed pretty well, at least in my opinion. I got to see more of Jeremy Inman's new #16 voice, which was pretty good. Overall the episode was enjoyable.
Don't forget the toughest truck driver of all time. "Hey, my truck!"

Surviving Vegeta's blast was impressive for a human <_<
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:40 am

Great episode,really like new 18 voice,my only complain,is overuse of Cell theme.But,now i see why they can`t just use same score like in DBZ,when i compared current Vegeta vs 18 score,with track used in DBZ,the DBZ music matched every move perfectly,with faster pace od Kai,it just wouldnt work,in my opinion.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:30 am

Mewzard wrote:
funrush wrote:Episode 65 aired with the Kikuchi score. It was placed pretty well, at least in my opinion. I got to see more of Jeremy Inman's new #16 voice, which was pretty good. Overall the episode was enjoyable.
Don't forget the toughest truck driver of all time. "Hey, my truck!"

Surviving Vegeta's blast was impressive for a human <_<
I picked up on that, too. But obviously, that won't be on the DVDs and Blu-Rays.

The Kikuchi score in Kai still seems a little weird to me. The music is great, of course, but in Kai it feels surprising.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:12 pm

I continue to be impressed with the Kikuchi score, actually. No doubt there are some episodes where it's not well used, but 64 and 65 seem to have come out just fine.

Really, the only jarring thing about it in these episodes has been hearing tracks from to other parts of the series in the android episodes.

cloud1414
Beyond Newbie

Post by cloud1414 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:09 pm

Now is funi only using the DBZ score in the nicktoons version and keeping the Kai score on the dvds or what? Since they were just going to replace the infringed tracks with other non infringed tracks? :/

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:34 pm

cloud1414 wrote:Now is funi only using the DBZ score in the nicktoons version and keeping the Kai score on the dvds or what? Since they were just going to replace the infringed tracks with other non infringed tracks? :/
Odds are Kikuchi will be on the home release, even though all the info we've recieved has suggested otherwise, but we won't know til it's released.

My copy should ship from RightStuf as early as late next week.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:05 am

Cipher wrote:Really, the only jarring thing about it in these episodes has been hearing tracks from to other parts of the series in the android episodes.
To me, the problem is that they overuse the pieces from early episodes (the M700s) which are not heavy enough and sound out-of-date in the Android arc. Especially M735 sounds very old.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:10 am

kei17 wrote:
Cipher wrote:Really, the only jarring thing about it in these episodes has been hearing tracks from to other parts of the series in the android episodes.
To me, the problem is that they overuse the pieces from early episodes (the M700s) which are not heavy enough and sound out-of-date in the Android arc. Especially M735 sounds very old.
And in the Saiyajin saga they use Cell saga tracks, hahahahaha. Why the hell could they not just simply compare the tracks with dbz while scoring? Geez.

funrush

Post by funrush » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:34 pm

sangofe wrote:
kei17 wrote:
And in the Saiyajin saga they use Cell saga tracks, hahahahaha. Why the hell could they not just simply compare the tracks with dbz while scoring? Geez.
I agree with this. If I were in Nagasaki's place I would directly copy all of the placement in Z and match it up with the scenes in Kai so it has the exact same placement as Z. Then I would take newer (or older) pieces and compare with the Z placement to figure out if the newer (or older) pieces would fit better with the scene.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:40 pm

Clean version of the English dub of 'Over the Star':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkkVH8N7hFE

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:26 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Clean version of the English dub of 'Over the Star':
Awesome! Wonder why the later songs never got dubbed....

funrush

Post by funrush » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:21 am

G1Ravage wrote:
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Clean version of the English dub of 'Over the Star':
Awesome! Wonder why the later songs never got dubbed....
If I remember correctly, I think it had to do with copyright problems.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:36 pm

Newbie-to-Kai comment, but I'm assuming that's an insert song from the Saiyan Saga? Sounds decent, though in general I don't really have that strong a connection with many insert songs in shows.

In general, I've been keeping away from Kai in all forms (the whole idea of the same video, but different audio seemed weaksauce to me), but decided to start watching the Nicktoons aired episodes once they introduced Trunks since I've never seen any episodes from DBZ from after Yamcha gets killed by Gero to the end of the Cell Games. Really digging how true the English script is and it really shows how far FUNi's come with the series.

Just caught the latest episode where Piccolo heads for the lookout to see Kami. In general whenever I read this part of the series, I felt like it was one of those points where Toriyama was transitioning to another plot point and left it there, but watching the Nicktoons airing, I really liked it for some reason. Like, it wasn't until I saw the episode that I realized just how take-charge Kuririn was, giving everyone senzu and deciding to lead everyone back to Goku's place. With the way he's treated in the fanbase, I tend to forget moments like that.

So while I don't really like Kai from the standpoint of the Japanese version, I'm realling digging how it's basically another chance for FUNi to get a good dub of the series out. If anything, that'd be the only reason I'd pick up the episodes on DVD :D.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:40 pm

Reports are coming in from people with the new set: It's Kikuchi. D=
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/