Dragonball Kai (FUNimation English) Dub: General Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Re: Dragonball Kai (FUNimation English) Dub: General Discuss

Post by AgitoZ » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:05 pm

Attitudefan wrote:
AgitoZ wrote: I think he(she?) means Tenshinhan. If I recall it was when they were talking about the fighting games and mentioned the characters name having copyright and rights reserved marks next to them.
Hmm, strange.

Well Ten could go by just fine yes? Would Ten Shinhan fall under the same field of copyright when it's seperate you think?
Wait...Tenshinhan? Stupid word filter...I meant Tien. Editing.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:25 pm

AgitoZ wrote:
Attitudefan wrote:
AgitoZ wrote: I think he(she?) means Tenshinhan. If I recall it was when they were talking about the fighting games and mentioned the characters name having copyright and rights reserved marks next to them.
Hmm, strange.

Well Ten could go by just fine yes? Would Ten Shinhan fall under the same field of copyright when it's seperate you think?
Wait...Tenshinhan? Stupid word filter...I meant Tien. Editing.
Oh okay, I think I understand now, you mean they have copyrighted Tien's name so changing it would be no good?
Last edited by Attitudefan on Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:41 pm

Trademarked, not copyrighted, and yes.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:17 am

Play the US version of any Dragon Ball video game. Or at least any earlier one (I haven't played them in a while so I don't know if they still do this) One absolutely ridiculous thing you may notice at the character selection screen is that despite the fact that all the characters are from the same series and are owned by the same people, EVERYBODY has a ©, ®, or ™. Seriously? You guys can't just put a fine print note in the credits or on the box somewhere that all character names are trademarks of Bird Studios, Toei, and FUNimation entertainment?

But that stuff generally exists because FUNi holds the US copyrights and trademarks on them. And for SOME REASON, it's as if "OMIGAWD! If we don't protect that by informing them on each and every character in our own game, SOMEONE MAY THINK THEY CAN NAME THEIR CHARACTER DR. GERO TOO!"

It's all about protecting that stuff. FUNi already has the trademark on "Tien" and "Tien Shinhan". I have no idea what would be involved in simply obtaining the trademark on "Tenshinhan" but apparently FUNi didn't want to or couldn't go through the trouble due to something involved.
Last edited by DemonRin on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:14 am

^You are aware that a good amount of games based on licensed franchises do that, right? Play any wrestling game and you'll find the same thing, too.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:29 am

Also, FUNi doesn't localize the games, they are just contracted to provide the voices. So they aren't to blame for the symbols next to the names.