Dragonball Kai (FUNimation English) Dub: General Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Dragonball Kai (FUNimation English) Dub: General Discussion

Post by SSJmole » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:33 pm

Hi

I was wondering will funimation dub the new Dragonball Kai that's been talked about and release it on dvd?

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:50 pm

I sent the FUNi reps a message on the 14th and they still haven't replied. Also, there's been no official announcement.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:02 pm

Kendamu wrote:I sent the FUNi reps a message on the 14th and they still haven't replied. Also, there's been no official announcement.
How would we get their contact information. I'll send 'em a message too.

Pain
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Pain » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:22 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:
Kendamu wrote:I sent the FUNi reps a message on the 14th and they still haven't replied. Also, there's been no official announcement.
How would we get their contact information. I'll send 'em a message too.
I'd use Myspace.
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:08 pm

Man, I really hope they get around to dubbing it.

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:25 pm

Hopefully they will do something with it. I'll buy R2's if they come out any time soon (probably not), if it looks like funny wants to ignore it, which I can see them doing, because it would be sort of embarrassing from their perspective to do their horrible remastering and then try and sell us TOEI's (what appears to be better) remastering. But, I do definitely want them to release it so I can have subs.
My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:44 pm

It hasn't even AIRED yet.

I say it's inevitable, but to expect an official word out NOW seems kind of ridiculous.

(Also, who wants to hear shitty Chris Sabat voice over 9000 characters anywii?!?!1HESMOKES)
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:07 pm

B wrote: (over 9000 )
Oh fuck why'd you have to remind me of that? That redundant joke is for sure going to make its way into the new dub.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:29 pm

I don't see the problem, Sabat(nor Horikawa) ever say it with enough force to be considered "funny" anyway. Drummond yelled that shit and stressed it out like a mother of sixteen.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:34 pm

B wrote:I don't see the problem, Sabat(nor Horikawa) ever say it with enough force to be considered "funny" anyway. Drummond yelled that shit and stressed it out like a mother of sixteen.
I just hate it because it's an inaccurate line. Sure it's a small one but I really don't like fucked up numbers in mah dubs dammit!
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:38 pm

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:42 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Funimation came out with a dub for Dragon Ball Kai about a year or two after it gets released in Japan. The same goes for the new special too.

saiyanprincess
Regular

Post by saiyanprincess » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:55 pm

I actually really hope they do! What's the betting they will somehow tinker with it and bugger something up that should have been left alone. Still... I would not complain.

A remastered series with no Great Saiyaman..... (Can't wait) Oh no! Would this mean there would be no driving lesson episodes?!... What about the famous bad man shirt! - Oh no!
[b]"Ok, use your instincts Kakarott. Right or Left? (Hmmm... I'd have to say... left.) Good. Then I'm going right!" (Vegeta to Goku as they try to find their way to free the others inside Buu - Episode: The Innards of Buu)[/b]

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:30 pm

There's gotta be some Great Saiyaman in Kai; he is in the manga.

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:51 pm

B wrote:There's gotta be some Great Saiyaman in Kai; he is in the manga.
Probably about 3-4 episodes of Great Saiyaman/Tournament Training.. :lol:

Anyways, I think FUNimation will dub it in a few years (if they can get the license) and I'm really hoping they will treat DBK like they are doing with One Piece, which could mean a dub as good as the original version!!! (which is really, really, really rare).

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:12 am

Dragonball Kai is a chance for FUNimation to finally do the series justice, I don't expect the actors to be replaced (though Linda Young getting the boot would be fantastic) but there is absolutely no reason DBK can't have the same calibre of dub as One Piece (in terms of script anyway, I would still argue that the majority of DBZ is hopelessly miscast).

I think FUNimation given a fresh start, could produce something at the very least adequate, but that depends if they decide to keep peddling the same faux-hardcore nonsense or actually give the series the treatment it deserves.

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:18 am

It's true. As much as dub haters don't like the dub, it's not season 3 anymore. For the most part now, the dub is very good. If FUNimation gets Kai, this could finally be their chance to shine for those that didn't give it a chance back then.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:28 am

This could be either the greatest thing ever, or another disappointment.

If FUNimation chooses to use a more accurate dub script, and USE THE ORIGINAL MUSIC DAMMIT, then theres a chance It'll rock the house.

But we have to be prepared that this isn't likely. More likely they're going to pander to "the retarded six year old" demographic, since theres a much larger base in the US for that version these days then true to the original stuff.

It would certainly be counterproductive to dub it the same way as DBZ was dubbed, but this is FUNimation. When it comes to Dragonball they're fucking retarded.
-Laserkid

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:45 am

Due to the fact Kai is going to basically be a splice job, I don't really see FUNimation fixing anything. Maybe translate the new OPs and EDs in English, but that's it.

And to be honest, I'm fine with that. It's not the worst dub in the world, it'd be great if they just let Vale and Rye do the entire show, but I could go either way. I just want to see Dragon Ball Z in the aspect ratio it was meant to be seen.

Krakabeast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Krakabeast » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:46 pm

For some reason, I don't think FUNi will even acknowledge the DB special or Kai. I think they're getting to a point where they will just drop Dragon Ball and move on. I'm probably wrong since FUNi knows how to milk money out of human beings without physically probing them, but that is just how I felt lately.
Gohan: At least he doesn't have his sword out anymore.
Kuririn: Yeah, and your dad put his finger away too.